Advice on fixing more annoying issues

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
So, yesterday, the motor ripped the spokes out of my rear wheel. Although I can't honestly say that I didn't see that coming, it is turning out to be more of a pain than I thought, because it not only destroyed the spokes, but also the rim and the tire. I am choosing to look on the bright side and view it as an opportunity to custom build an entirely new rear wheel with designed to hold up to a motor, so it won't get destroyed again. Here's what I plan to change:

1) Replacing the tire, because it was worn down anyways.
2) Replacing the rim with a super strong alloy rim.
3) Changing the spoke configuration from 28 to 36 spokes, and using 14 gauge spokes (the thickest I could find).
4) Replacing the stock 44 tooth rear sprocket with this 36 tooth sprocket: http://www.gasbike.net/36-tooth-cnc-sprocket-adapter-4102-prd1.html which bolts directly on to the axle instead of most of the pulling power being put on the spokes. This will also solve a clearance issue with the chain and the frame.
5) Getting a different axle so that the sprocket can bolt onto the axle (it won't fit on my current axle)
6) Replacing the stock exaust pipe with a homemade torque pipe to make up for lost power from the 36 tooth sprocket.

So, tell me what you think. Advice, concerns, personal experiences, etc, all appreciated. Thanks!

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Update

So, I just had a crazy idea: What if I buy a hub with a 6 bolt disc brake mount, and then take the original sprocket that came with the kit (the one that attaches to and promptly destroys the spokes) and drill 6 new holes in it, and then bolt it to the disc brake mount? I'm pretty sure that a good disc brake mount would be more than strong enough to hold up to the torque from the motor, and then I won't have to buy a new gear either! Anyone see any potential problems?

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I just bought the same sprocket assembly. Was a pretty good deal. They had various size adapters, yours wasn't listed?
And to answer your question, unfortunately my bike was built for racing, so they removed as much weight as possible, which includes making a cone shape for the center of the hub. Really annoying!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Re: Update

So, I just had a crazy idea: What if I buy a hub with a 6 bolt disc brake mount, and then take the original sprocket that came with the kit (the one that attaches to and promptly destroys the spokes) and drill 6 new holes in it, and then bolt it to the disc brake mount? I'm pretty sure that a good disc brake mount would be more than strong enough to hold up to the torque from the motor, and then I won't have to buy a new gear either! Anyone see any potential problems?
here is you a good disc hub sprocket mount set up at a good price if you decide to go that direction.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271760106429&alt=web

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Anyone have any experience with drilling holes in the stock sprocket and bolting it directly to the disc brake mount? I would like to part with as few Benjamins as possible, and the wheel alone has already cost me $250.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Anyone have any experience with drilling holes in the stock sprocket and bolting it directly to the disc brake mount? I would like to part with as few Benjamins as possible, and the wheel alone has already cost me $250.
I have drilled several sprockets to work with the rag set up, but I haven't drilled any for the disc brake mount set up.

Shouldn't be to hard to do if you have a template of the exact bolt pattern that you can place on the sprocket so you can mark the ares to be drilled.

Here is a couple choices that are already drilled and ready to go just depending on what tooth count you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36T-Sprocke...Parts_Accessories&hash=item339b694d05&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/415-Sprocke...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cecc12b55&vxp=mtr

Here is a set up that has a high quality sprocket, and adapter for $50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-B...429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f462a23bd

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'm liking that sprocket adapter that MZ sells and may order one of those later on because I also want to switch over to those alloy mag wheels for my bike. I placed an order from MZ last week so I can see how long it takes for their stuff to ship over to me so I can see if they're a reliable source for certain low cost parts since they also sell the 40mm intake port cylinder kits at a decent price and in both the 38 and 40mm stroke geometries.
For the rear sprockets, I'd like to keep all mine with 40 or more teeth and just run the engines at a higher rpm for top speed in order to keep the acceleration as strong as possible, but most the sprockets that'll bolt onto the disc mount hubs or the Manic type hub adapters are usually 36 teeth or smaller, and the only other source for larger sprockets I've heard is rather unreliable about shiping things quickly.

If you do choose to drill your own sprockets to fit the 6 bolt disc hub pattern it's easiest to do if you got a drill press and also some way to make sure your holes are dead centered so the sprocket wont jump up and down and eat chains etc. The most accurate way to drill them would be to put them on a lathe that has a dividing plate attached so every hole is exactly where it needs to be as well as perfectly centered.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'm liking that sprocket adapter that MZ sells and may order one of those later on because I also want to switch over to those alloy mag wheels for my bike. I placed an order from MZ last week so I can see how long it takes for their stuff to ship over to me so I can see if they're a reliable source for certain low cost parts since they also sell the 40mm intake port cylinder kits at a decent price and in both the 38 and 40mm stroke geometries.
For the rear sprockets, I'd like to keep all mine with 40 or more teeth and just run the engines at a higher rpm for top speed in order to keep the acceleration as strong as possible, but most the sprockets that'll bolt onto the disc mount hubs or the Manic type hub adapters are usually 36 teeth or smaller, and the only other source for larger sprockets I've heard is rather unreliable about shiping things quickly.

If you do choose to drill your own sprockets to fit the 6 bolt disc hub pattern it's easiest to do if you got a drill press and also some way to make sure your holes are dead centered so the sprocket wont jump up and down and eat chains etc. The most accurate way to drill them would be to put them on a lathe that has a dividing plate attached so every hole is exactly where it needs to be as well as perfectly centered.
I've made several orders from MZ and I get my stuff quick everytime, everything is well pa kaged and what you see in the ad is exactly what you get, no smoke and mirrors in the ebay pics like with many of the vendors.

I've been very happy with everything I've ordered so far.