Regular v premium

GoldenMotor.com

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hey all , this has probably been posted before so please excuse and delete if so mods

Just wondering what type of fuel you guys run , and the appropriate mix ratio for the type
Me ,I usually run regular with a 16/1 for breakin and 25/1 mix for general running and although it does ok I thought for my second breakin tank I would go for some premium , hopefully I get a better burn out of it being it's a slightly higher octaine than just plain old regular ,over here in AU our regular is usually called 91 where the premium is called 95 ,so no big difference except the fuel is cleaner and higher octaine as mentioned .

I've heard a lot of motorized bicycle riders go less than the recommended mix ratio something like 35/1 but this worries me a tad so I keep to the recommendations .

Now is there any performance differences from the 25 mix to the 35 mix and will it really have a detrimental effect on my china girl motor , I understand it will reduce oil buildup in the exhaust and such but , some have said strictly don't do it ,don't go 35/1 it's very bad for the motor ,where others have said it makes no great difference except for less exhaust buildup .

And for that matter does using premium versus regular really make a difference
I'm going premium as it is more highly filtered and the quality is regulated much better than the stock standard %#*€ so feel it will improve the lifespan of my motor

OPINIONS ........ GO

Kindest regards
Henshooter. brnot

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Go with a 24 to 32:1 ratio and cheap gasoline and you'll do fine. Unless you are running extremely high compression the only advantage to the high priced gasoline will be to make the gas station owners and oil companies happy. The stock Chinese 2 stroke engine will perform perfectly on the low octane fuels. It's what is was designed to run on.
Those who claim fantastic performance gains from high octane fuels are only kidding themselves. "If the gas is more expensive then it must be better." Not true!

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
^^^^What 2door said, except I prefer 40:1.
Premium fuel in a china girl is simply a waste of cash.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It used to be, now not so much.

I remember when there was a significant spread, a big percentage.

Now it's like a dime. Reg $3.79, Mid 3.89, Pre 3.99.

Can't even buy a cup of coffee with the savings.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
So does decreasing the mix from 25/1 to 32/1 make any noticeable difference to the performance of the motor or does it simply mean less slag in the engine and exhaust , I ask because I want to run my motor for the best possible performance ,without mods ,yes I'll be adding performance mods in the near future such as better CDI unit and exp chamber exhaust ,I've already fitted a 32t cog and it greatly improved the ride ,added 10 kph to the cruising speed ,to put it simply apart from performance changes and regular services I really want to look after this motor

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
It used to be, now not so much.

I remember when there was a significant spread, a big percentage.

Now it's like a dime. Reg $3.79, Mid 3.89, Pre 3.99.

Can't even buy a cup of coffee with the savings.
Agreed the only saving I gain is 8c per litre ,full tank that's only 16c a tank ,certainly not going to send me broke

I prefer the premium more because the standard of filtering , storing and regulation is a lot higher and better ,over here in Au the regular mix is notorious for being of much lower quality dirtier fuel ,at one point a mates car was rendered useless for a few months due to water in the tank/fuel because of contamination in the regular fuel from a discount fuel provider , it killed the motor and no compensation was offered as the fuel is at Byers risk ( which is a load if you ask me )

Regards Hen

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
40 to 1 synthetic.
95 octane.
That's what I use,
98 did not make any difference that I noticed.
In fact 98 probably has ethanol which will absorb moisture (bad).
stay away from ethanol blends in humid conditions.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
I use 98 octane at 100:1 synthetic (ELF HTX909)

It costs me 35cents more to fill my 5L jerry can with 98 than 91.

I just done 700kms on this setup.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
It all depends on how hot and humid it is where you are.
I'm still running in the only motor that is together at the moment, and 50 to 1 synthetic would be fine down south, but up here in summer a little more oil don't hurt.
I'm using Penrite MT 25T synthetic which I belive is designed to run 50 to 1.
If your oil is designed for 100 to 1 then fair enough.
I just got 5 litres of Valvoline 2 Stroke Racing oil for $20 on special, I'd probably run it 33 to 1in summer and 40 to 1 in winter (still mid to high 20 C here).
But each to there own.

lenny9651

Apr 7, 2013
florida
it's only 20 cents a gallon difference and a gallon lasts me all month. premium burns cleaner and may or may not increase your performance, so yes i'm not that worried about 20 cents. as for ethenal, stabil makes a product that counteracts the effects of ethenal in your fuel you can find it in the 2 stroke section at advanced auto parts

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
From what I've been told a bit of AV Gas in the mix with regular fuel is the go if you want Higher octane.
Havn't tried it yet.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
From what I've been told a bit of AV Gas in the mix with regular fuel is the go if you want Higher octane.
Havn't tried it yet.
My old man told me once him and a friend did a half half mix of reg and av in an old cortina , it apparently ran hard for 30 odd minutes ,sounded like and ran like an 8 ( just a standard 250 ) ,it then went pop , upon lifting the bonnet dad said the block was glowing bright red and the pop was the rocker cover , it had blown off under pressure and ripped all the anchor bolts out of the head
That old TE never did drive again

Regards Henshooter

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
Avtur or Jet A1 is the diesel 'type fuel' used in turbine engines.

Avgas over here or '100-130' (color green) is the stuff Theon is taking about. The lead in the fuel does four things - inhibit knock, give you a bigger bang, lube up the upper cylinder and gum it up (eventually).

Engines should be able to run, higher compression and more advanced timing.

Avgas sold in the US - is called 100LL or Low lead (color light blue) has less lead per gallon.

The purple Avgas 130 -145 (color purple) is the best stuff still made. If your able to get a hold of it, let me know. They only really make it for the reno air races now.

engines not tuned for Avgas will usually cause some damage - whether its burnt out exhaust valves etc.

RC engine run on a nitro mix, a methanol-based fuel with nitromethane and oil added