China Engine Kick Start

GoldenMotor.com

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I was wondering if anyone knows about kick start kits for those engines. I only know about pull starts. I am asking because I had a talk with manufacture from China about those engines and they said they were with kick start. The pullstart would make me feel like I drive a chain saw but I also can't use the clutch anymore to start because my sprocket is 34t and my compression too good now and it doesnt feel right on the chain and gearbox, plus it looks dorky to start it like that..

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I think a kick start would be very nice. I hear the pull starts are pretty flimsy, and a nice solid kick start lever would be pretty sweet.

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
Did you try tighting the internal clutch spring? Their are instructions on ho to do this in this forum( I ride with a guy that runs a 28 an he peddles to start)

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Yes I actually do that every week a little with the old one and now the new one. They start to squeak when Im in traffic and have to use it a lot and it really doesnt grip very wekk, especially because of the sprocket. I never use my paddles except for the rear brake so I always take off with the clutch. I have to use the clutch for about 3-4 seconds each time until I get to the minimum speed to release it. I was hoping ith new clutch pads this would be better but not really.. Those clutches really suck. But who knows. I ordered a new complete bottom part, so maybe when everything new the clutch is better.

So anyways. I emailed that person last night again about the kick start and she said, yes they have kickstart and when I asked for the pics, I cant see ANYTHING.. Maybe they think kickstart means to get it on with the clutch.. Right now I wait for the response. Its really time for me to put some money beside for the KTM 9HP engine. Im sure they have a better clutch and they also come with kickstart.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Ah, I bet what they mean by "kickstart" is that it can be started by the pedals. I have used the pedals with my bike on the center stand to kick start the motor, but it is tricky with timing the clutch pull right. And if you have a problem with the clutch pads slipping on start (which I do sometimes with my Puch head and single head gasket), this method seems to be worse.

As far as getting moving from a stop by slipping the clutch, I am sure you are killing the pads. I do not think HTs were designed to have the clutch slipped like a motorcycle or car. Good thing they are cheap! Have you actually seen the stock clutch pads? They are terrible.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Wait. Is there a source for better quality pads? I bought mine on gasbike but actually they didnt look any thicker in condition than the old ones. My problem isnt that they would slip when I start, actually they dont, but I have to push the freaking bike sometimes all they way down the street to finally get it running. It got worse and worse and I dont know whats the problem. It used to turn on good even with the new smaller sprocket but I would have a faster rotation with a pullstart. The engine didnt had anymore power in higher rpm so I changed the head gasket (which didnt exist when I opened everything) and cleaned the engine an sanded everything. Now the compression is so extreme that I feel like my chain will explode when I try to start it like that, rolling. Thats what crushed the bearings of my clutch 2 days later, and thats why I decided to get the entire bottom engine block with new clutch etc instead of just the bearing because the crank would be next then... But I need to find a solution to start it up. How exactly does the pullstart kit work exactly?

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
solution is to pedal it up to 5mph or so before letting out ANY of the clutch. These motors are not ment to start you off from a dead stop
i totally disagree with that statement.
I've been starting my bikes without peddling for 4 years now.
just roll a little, pop the clutch & go.
I also take off from a dead stop by only using the clutch...I never peddle.
I'm still on the original clutch pads on both of my engines too.
20" wheels, 41 tooth sprockets gives me more than avearge low end torque, but taking off from a dead stop by using only the clutch and never peddling is how i ride my bikes, and so far, not one problem after 4 years.

My lowrider is set up like a drag bike, and i don't even put my feet on the peddles. I have rear axle pegs as foot rests.
the only time i will put my feet on the peddles on that bike is if the caliper brake needs assistance stopping me, and i use the coaster brake at the same time as the caliper brake.
on my occ chopper, i have the cranks and peddles aligned together so they are more like foot rests. You couldn't peddle it if you tried because i have both cranks set directly across from each other.

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
If you search around the forums here you'll find this has been discussed. One member, I forget who, had made some clutch pucks out of a much better material.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
If you search around the forums here you'll find this has been discussed. One member, I forget who, had made some clutch pucks out of a much better material.
Sure, several people have, it seems. Mapbike did a while back, but does not have any sets currently for sale. Pipelyne does only round (I need the trapezoidal). There was a guy who was contracting a waterjet to make sets, but I think he ended up taking money from orders and disappearing...

Recently fx-2 made some, but is still testing them out and has not expressed an interest in selling sets.

I wish I had more than just a hacksaw in my garage in order to turn some sets out. I guess it is an option to buy the older clutch gear that takes round pads and then buy a set from Pipelyne, but for about the same price you can get a centrifugal clutch and pull start...

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
interesting.. yeah i already found a thread about it but its from 2011. as for the kickstart. pretty sure that was wrong information from the manufacturer but im still waiting for a reply showing them how an actual kickstart looks like and what the heck they meant with it.