Chain too tight

GoldenMotor.com

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
i usually just cheat and cut the back mount a little thinner if I get stuck like that.
I had the same problem the other day..Its like less than half a link too short but if you add 1 pidly link with an extra joiner the thing becomes rediculously too long!!
just cut 5mm off the back mount which hugs the seat post and all is dandy.
Stuff buying a half link if ya dont really need to.
U dont even need to really cut 5mm off. Probly 2mm would do... could even do it with a simple file + a tub of elbow grease.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
i usually just cheat and cut the back mount a little thinner if I get stuck like that.
I had the same problem the other day..Its like less than half a link too short but if you add 1 pidly link with an extra joiner the thing becomes rediculously too long!!
just cut 5mm off the back mount which hugs the seat post and all is dandy.
Stuff buying a half link if ya dont really need to.
U dont even need to really cut 5mm off. Probly 2mm would do... could even do it with a simple file + a tub of elbow grease.

Just remember when doing that, if you take 2mm of the mount then you gain 4mm in chain, 2mm from the top and 2mm from the bottom of the chain. It's the same if you add a spacer between the mount and the motor. If your chain is too long by 6mm then just add a 3mm spacer because it takes 3mm on both runs of the chain.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
yeh thats roughly the logic I saw behind it too...
You will also find the motor sits slightly lower in the frame giving a slightly different chain angle + ya need to make sure your exhaust isnt already very close from fouling anywhere as you may find it will touch the down tube just because you didnt check... on the other hand if you do check for this 1st, you will never run into problems as Murphys law states.

Joel G.

May 2, 2012
Guam
Re-mount the engine to possibly change length of chain needed or like the others said use a punch or strong nail but don't knock the link all the way out, just enough to get the chain end off. After that use a C-Clamp to put it back together. This is what I did anyway, and it worked.