How Fast are You going? - I wana know

GoldenMotor.com

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
The Rat from ****, my bike, was clocked at 38 mph by my local pig :D

66 cc grubee, dax RT carb, 36 tooth, opti-2 mix.

no other mods, too bad I'm selling it

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Sorry Bro, I left Wichita when I was 13.
I sold a bike I called Zippy that clocked out at 43mph. That really is too fast for a bicycle but it sure was a blast to ride. The guy I sold it to got it ripped off two weeks after he bought it. I TOLD him to lock it up EVERY TIME. OH WELL, poo poo happens.
fatdaddy.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I would like to enter some of those races you guys do. There is nothing like that here in Colorado Springs and its a bit far to travel to Cali or AZ to ride a MB.
Maybe you could get together with some of the other CO guys and make a road trip out of it!

It's not just about riding, there's a lot of awesome bikes and people to meet! Camp and BBQ, have one with your brethren! :D

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, it's good coming out of the corners and off the line.
I'm using 24" wheels with extra wide rims.
I just got my Morini broken in along with the clutch (5 tanks of petro later). I only get a hour of ride time per tank 2.4 liter (@ WOT!) I have 26" wheels on mine with a 52 tooth rear sprocket and my motor raps out going up hill! (approximately 50mph) It acts like there still some hp's left in the Morini @ max rpm. If you no any "tricks" to setting these motors up let me know. I ordered a 21mm Dellorto carb with piss poor results. At this elevation (7500 ft) there's not enough oxygen in the air to benefit from a larger carb. Even if you go with a smaller jet. My 19mm Dellorto carb is dialed right into the sweet spot. NO throttle hesitation at all. Just rocket like results! LMAO

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I'm at 24-26 MPH and that's fast enough for me on a Grubee 66 cc and a Huffy Panama Jack. I have front brakes, but I have to say, if I want speed, I'd ride my motorcycle. The MB is for fun... And it does that pretty well!!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I just got my Morini broken in along with the clutch (5 tanks of petro later). I only get a hour of ride time per tank 2.4 liter (@ WOT!) I have 26" wheels on mine with a 52 tooth rear sprocket and my motor raps out going up hill! (approximately 50mph) It acts like there still some hp's left in the Morini @ max rpm. If you no any "tricks" to setting these motors up let me know. I ordered a 21mm Dellorto carb with piss poor results. At this elevation (7500 ft) there's not enough oxygen in the air to benefit from a larger carb. Even if you go with a smaller jet. My 19mm Dellorto carb is dialed right into the sweet spot. NO throttle hesitation at all. Just rocket like results! LMAO
Simply putting a smaller jet won't do. There is atomizers,, sizes rated for different altitudes as well. I run a W7 needle here my self. It ran crappy with the stock W9 needle. With that bored out bigger bore motor it has plenty of breath enough to snort from a 21mm IMHO. My bone stock S6S save a 21mm carby is working nicely at 6000 ft here more or less.

Mebbe an extra 1000 foot or so makes that much difference? My travel is many times near the foot hills so I am sure it's at near 7000? A 258 AU Atomizer is the leanest they make. Thats what I used on the 19 and the 21mm. Until I gave atomizers etc a go it was futile.

In the beginning days about 47 mph on a china H.T.. Of course it is a matter of time till those quite running when asking a lot from them.

My first Morini s6t got it to 55mph on a straight away and ran out of road. I never tested for higher speeds after that. Because I had built that entire bike from scratch it was mandatory to properly scare myself and test it lol.

Now I just gear out to be very playful now days and top out around 40mph.

Last edited:

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Simply putting a smaller jet won't do. There is atomizers,, sizes rated for different altitudes as well. I run a W7 needle here my self. It ran crappy with the stock W9 needle. With that bored out bigger bore motor it has plenty of breath enough to snort from a 21mm IMHO. My bone stock S6S save a 21mm carby is working nicely at 6000 ft here more or less.

Mebbe an extra 1000 foot or so makes that much difference? My travel is many times near the foot hills so I am sure it's at near 7000? A 258 AU Atomizer is the leanest they make. Thats what I used on the 19 and the 21mm. Until I gave atomizers etc a go it was futile.

In the beginning days about 47 mph on a china H.T.. Of course it is a matter of time till those quite running when asking a lot from them.

My first Morini s6t got it to 55mph on a straight away and ran out of road. I never tested for higher speeds after that. Because I had built that entire bike from scratch it was mandatory to properly scare myself and test it lol.

Now I just gear out to be very playful now days and top out around 40mph.
Alright Goat I'll look into the needle and atomizer. As of now i don't have much faith in that 21mm carb. I had nasty hesitation on acceleration and it ran super rich. That was after I swapped all parts from the 19mm to the 21mm (with the needle position all the way down, leanest position). Then I swapped all the parts back to the 19mm carb with the needle position all the way down and it ran great.

I don't understand how opening your carb intake diameter by 2mm would cause this problem? I'm calling Motomx.com today to see what's up.

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Alright Goat I'll look into the needle and atomizer. As of now i don't have much faith in that 21mm carb. I had nasty hesitation on acceleration and it ran super rich. That was after I swapped all parts from the 19mm to the 21mm (with the needle position all the way down, leanest position). Then I swapped all the parts back to the 19mm carb with the needle position all the way down and it ran great.

I don't understand how opening your carb intake diameter by 2mm would cause this problem? I'm calling Motomx.com today to see what's up.
Just got off the phone with Motomx.com. I'm sending it back to them. Could have an internal problem. We will see....

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

That 2mm is worth it to me. It is much more than 2mm. When you look in the rear of a 19mm, then the 21mm the rear is way bigger It definitely breaths more letting more breath in that motor..

Currently on my 21mm, 258 AU atomizer and W7 needle combination I run at the third notch up ''richer'' with a big size main jet. Around a 97. My dynamic between lower throttle and wot is very smooth with no transitions. So what have I changed here lol.

You got a ''richer'' 262 AU atomizer with a richer running W9 needle. The only way it will run is in the leanest position. This effects lower throttle performance big time in my experience at my high elevation. I never found a magic chart that told me where I was or where to go ether. Wound up trying parts till it made sense.

Swapping out jets never fixed it.:( Try my set up and go from there I am absolutely convinced it will get you closer than you have been yet in this tuning deal.

Keep playing with those stock sea level parts! Your getting closer! That's what I did! It was brutal laff

Lemme say it this way for ya, I systematically tried ever combination there was. Until you change out the atomizer,choke jet, Needle, etc. IMHO I am convinced you will stay disappointed. Us guy's at a higher elevation simply cannot use stock sea level gut's in these PHBG carbs with the Morini IMO.. Atomizers Choke Jet and the like. There is no stock PHBG carb with sea level guts that ever worked right for me at my elevation on these Morinis.

Had that bucking and hesitation at take off annoying big time,but could get excellent wot response. All this was at the potential expense of leaning out a main jet. The bike still had race worthy power but was not tuned right yet.

I did however find a flawless cure..(p)

Got's 4 PHBG carby's sitting here. They are all the same. Save two are 21mm's. The stock sea level parts swapped from a 19mm does not cure a 21mm here ether.

There could be more in the picture with your big bore kit? But I really seriously doubt it..

PM me or gimme your phone number.? I will try to clearly explain it for you? With a breakdown of what every part in this said jetting means? What it meant for me. I really do wanna get you get set up!!!

Prolly got a small fortune is your hog. I racked my brains on this one and got it figured out! That 21mm should be absolutely kicking butt... They are finicky carby's and IMO your jetting is not close to right.

Now back to our speed thread!dnut

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Still on my first tank of gas on my Cranbrick with a BGF RB80 and 36 tooth sprocket, I figured I would get a quick speed run even though I have been trying to stay away from too much WOT during break-in.

BGF RB80 with NT carb, needle at the uppermost setting, NGK B6HS plug, SBP HD air filter, lapped head (slightly, to remove a gouge), opened the exhaust gasket and pipe a little, on Briggs 2 stroke oil at 24:1: 32 MPH on level ground (according to my phone's GPS).

According to the bathroom scale, I am 196 lbs... I fell off the Atkins wagon about a month ago, time to go catch up to it again!

Going from 32 - 0 on a coaster brake, about 1/4 mile... lol.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Really proud of you guys. 3 pages of discussion about 'speed' and not one argument or poo-pooing on anyone. I knew you could do it. :)Tom
(just smiles) ;-}
I won't make a poo-poo post in this good long 'how fast' topic either, I like it a lot.
BUT.. hehehe, you knew there would be a but ;-}

The high end Morini motors and expensive carb builders aside, for the majority of you builders looking to gain a little performance from low dollar items but willing to spend a lot of frustrating time in my opinion is those are for after you do the huge performance enhancers first.

1. Of course the standard reaming out the weld slag crap and misalignment in the kit in/out pipes at the flanges which is UN-technically called on web sites as Porting, or worse, Port and Polishing for a stock pipe build.
2. Iridium plug and other ignition improved wiring if possible.
3. Tuned expansion chamber, or at least close to tuned, and dump the stock pipe.

28-32MPH for a stock Skyhawk is pretty average for all my 26" wheel builds.
66's get there faster, and can push you a little faster once you get rocking, but just the above 3 things I mentioned will let a 48 leave the stock 66 in it's dust off the line and top speed.

Throw on a 3-speed tranny with those 3 things and you can ride with the big dogs over 40MPH like me for a fraction of the cost of those ultra high dollar motors and their mods, and hey, 40MPH on even a great bicycle frame is pushing it ;-}

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
(just smiles) ;-}

Throw on a 3-speed tranny with those 3 things and you can ride with the big dogs over 40MPH like me for a fraction of the cost of those ultra high dollar motors and their mods, and hey, 40MPH on even a great bicycle frame is pushing it ;-}
After numerous lemon H.T. motors granading . Then flat out blue printing a H.T. motor for the most part I have to admit one can be quite taken with them. I was. I did like my 49cc the most. It had a brass bushing. The other motors had a roller cage piston bearing that failed like clock work. Till I found a after market bearing. All of my china's did 40 mph with out gears. They are nothing like the beastly uber kewl potential panic of a rocket launching Morini IMO.

You should take that out to one of the sanctioned races! K.C.! The famous Death Race is right where you are at?

My Morinis even on the said unwanted sea level tuning smoked anything I ever saw from a H.T. My J shafts rob power in my experience my 5.8 H.P. S6T still out ran a H.T. J shafted! Keeping up with stretching J shaft chains something else to consider watching out for when ya start putting more power through them. I run the 10/11 horse power type Morini now. Never a J Shaft again. H.T. motors no way are they 11 horse power!;) China is mebbe 3 horse's on a good day!

Gears will never multiply to 11 horse's. Just don't see how that happens there. H.T.'s just cannot out launch one with potential power robbing gearing and less horse power off the line.. I get to 40 miles per hour instantly like a switch lol seriously . Or of course can simply cruise it slowly but launching it is very addictive.

I do agree that a cleaned up H.T. can be a great motor! 40 mph is totally achievable. For Me personally after three H.T.'s and acquaintances ''motors'' dead now. I am not ever nice to them or my Morini Motors ever. My M's have all ready out performed and out lasted all of them well beyond expectation for hella rough service to date and run like day one. . No mods. Best money I spent for rough service. These pigs just love me for it! I just wish for rough service I had spent my money more wisely in the beginning.. For what I am doing anyway.

Or had gotten a thumper motor! All the 4 strokes have been very dependable from what I have heard.

You got to try one of these motors K.C.!!

There is only two of us that I know of at 7000 foot above sea level. No body else seams to be having any temperamental problems Morini wise in respect to your mention of it. .

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I think if I try to organize a NorCal racing event or series of events, there will be different classes of competition, it's okay to have the mixed field like ALMS auto racing, but racing a Morini or Predator 212 directly with a 49-66cc China bike is unfair. There could be an overall award, but podiums for the top three in each class would encourage close competition within classes.

I'd love to have a Dax GP50 Morini clone, but I can't really justify spending $400 on a powerplant. For a more powerful bike, I'm going to get a motorcycle that is engineered to handle and use the higher levels of engine power, then 100mph won't be scary because it will have stability and I don't have to worry about an unknown fatigue crack opening up catastrophically at high speed.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That's a good point! Sadly true of today's average department store bikes from places like Wallmart, Kmart, or Target for $150. You get what you pay for! Folks first getting into this hobbie should learn their limitations ''inferior parts etc'' and know maintenance. Fo sho! These type bikes and cheap motors are a great place to start tho! Then a fella can take the learning curb in stages.

Still a fair many report good results. It is touchy subject. In this hobby sky is the limit!

There are ton of great heavy duty upgraded parts available now days that are proven very bullet proof! Good frames, wheels, Brakes list goes on..I will not use a typical department store bike for any of my motoreds or peddled if I can help it, but have in my early peddling days big time, and on my first motored. It has been reported older commercial bikes tend to have better steel frames. All of these parts are affordable. Just have to dig into the forum a little to see what folks are using is all.

Did you know about the races that are going on in SoCal right now! his is a great read!! http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHIoqYOMvAPwEKn7FEN9JJeom9CxQ and this one already past there will be more! http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNG3-8uQrNdOLwjUtAnr3p71to_sYw.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFILMbmlZDYuAwTnJjkylaQS4RZ6Q

Great place to see what folks are doing! The H.T.'s are already racing separately from the likes of thumpers, Briggs , and Morinis for the most part they are rated by their power and performance.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
If I could bring a motorized bike on a plane I would, but the airport HS agents would prolly freak out when their machines detected premix residue coming from my bike travel case.

Maybe I'm underestimating the strength of a bicycle, I just remember ruining a few when I was a kid and I wasn't using an engine and weighed about 130 at the time. :D