emergency brake...

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay I'm looking for an idea to steal again....

First of all let me say this.... it's about friction drive. If you have friction drive on a coaster brake bike you know what I'm talking about. If you don't then you might not get it but...

When you throttle down on a friction drive the bike start slowing down. like about half a brake maybe a little less. You apply your coaster brake and the bike stops. Now my friction drive doesn't go very fast so it stops pretty good with just that brake.

I have front wheel brakes on two of my three friction drive bikes. The other one is a full suspension which I modified from a 24 inch front wheel to a 26" just because I could. So it has no front wheel brake.

So I got to thinking, I don't really need one most of the time. I just want one in case of chain brake. Now I know I can drag a shoe on the front tire to stop it but odds are I'd get my foot hung up in the spokes and break something...

So here is the question does anyone have a good idea for making an emergency brake. Not a standard lever pull type since it won't work on the modified front end. If we come up with a good one I might just pull the brakes I have. Even though I just bought a bunch of brake pads.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
not that its very economical and would probably be a hassle i always wondered if you put an elec hub up front backwards so when you actuated it , it would slow down not speed up. maybe an idea for the elec. guys just thinking again.

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
old fashoned pressure break make a bettal shoe to aply pressure to the rear tire from below the frame. mount it on a hinge. and spring load it free of the tire. and attah it to a peice of metal that you can hit with your foot in an emergency.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I think it is called a Spoon brake. It is just a piece of metal shaped like the tire couture that rubs the tire by lifting the opposite end. With a cable or a lever. Harder to do but they have kits to install a disc brake, not easy. Have fun, Dave

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have a suicide clutch lever already on the bike. I think I'm going to just put in a longer bolt and use a simple lever with a piece of wood on the end to press against the tire when I pull back on the brake. I only need it if all else fails.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I hate it when my brakes aren't working right. I can't imagine only riding with one or less brakes... But then most bikes are too tall for me to effectively drag my feet without busting my arse on the middle bar. I got cut off the other day and had to slam on my brakes and then I ran my front tire into the curb to stop faster, well when I hit that curb my sweaty butt slid right off my seat and I landed centered on the bar, we ladies don't have junk to bump but we've got some sensitive bits too and let me tell you I hurt like he11 for quite some time after that. The madwagon is only 1 inch too tall for me and bailing like that is quite something.

Anyway I was thinking that a piece of steel shaped tot eh tire and then on your lever would work pretty well, also if you wanted faster stopping power cover it like we do our drive rollers. I bet that coarse sand paper would work pretty well for stopping you short.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I dont have a spare coaster brake but I do have a lever and a round piece of wood that I can put on the end to contact the tire. I think I'm gonna use that.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
How about removing the coaster sprocket,weld a lever on that sprocket,install it back on so that the lever could be reached with your foot. Then have a spring from the lever to your fork so when you let go of it it disengages the coaster.
Then have like a simple hose clamp on the coaster arm on your left to keep it still.
Win.