Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 95mm

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Mr_R.I.DING

Dec 28, 2010
Adelaide
G'day everyone.

I've been a longtime reader first time poster. i have worked in the bicycle industry in Adelaide on and off for over 15 years, so have plenty of experience and contacts here in SA but have only recently decided to go out on my own and will be attempting to cater for the niche market in regards bikes and motorized bikes. we will be also be able to supply some nice looking inverted triple clamp suspsension pretty soon at a pretty affordable price.

i recently have been able to acquire a manufacturer who can supply me with a range of ultra wide rims, anywhere from 70mm through to 97mm wide. because we have to buy bulk though i just want to do a poll on what kind of market there would be for them here and o/s.

i know wide rims can be sourced from other places but fromm what i can tell they are prohibitively expensive and once you add in shipping costs well.....you know that one well.

our prices will be around $45-$55 and thats for the 26" 32/36h rims. black only to start with.

so the poll is as follows

1. 70mm
2. 75mm
3. 93mm
4. 95mm

if the mods want to move this post to somewhere more beneficial, go for it.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Welcome to the forum!

The biggest problem with those wide rims is that there's not a lot of tire choices. There are 26x3" flametreads like Nirve Fireball and Kenda Flame, which aren't high-end tires by any means. There are 26x3.7" Surly Larry & Endomorphs, which are off-road low-pressure (<30psi)tires. Then there is the 26x4" Innova Spider, which are more decorative than functional. Also low-pressure.

I've looked at a lot of wide rims like Weinmann Chopper series, which are offered up to 100mm wide. But there just don't seem to be any decent street tires for em.

I really hope someone can prove me otherwise.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You can fit most any (same size) bicycle tire onto those rims, & they will look awesome; but the bigger issue is that they might not fit between most frames & forks. :(

I personally love the Felt 50mm wide 36 spoke wheels. (^)

My vote on your poll is for 70mm (36 spoke) rims because they have the best chance to fit on most bicycles.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
motorcycle tires would work right? i saw some that were 26 inches.

edit~ oh yea. i voted the biggest . because i want to build my own frame & have a fat a55 back wheel.

Mr_R.I.DING

Dec 28, 2010
Adelaide
You can fit most any (same size) bicycle tire onto those rims, & they will look awesome; but the bigger issue is that they might not fit between most frames & forks. :(

I personally love the Felt 50mm wide 36 spoke wheels. (^)

My vote on your poll is for 70mm (36 spoke) rims because they have the best chance to fit on most bicycles.
well thats right with regards to frame fitments. there are more and more manufacturers starting to make wider frames now. so i guess we are going to be spoilt for choice over the coming years...

+, we will have some inverted suspension forks very soon also.... in 28.6 (1 1/8) steerer tube....

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't think wide rims would do most of us any good because of tire clearance issues we already have with narrow rims.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
are you talking frame clearance issues? what size tire are you running atm?
One of my bikes has 2.125 tire. That's about as big as I could go before my tire starts rubbing the chain.

Seems like frame rubbing issues aren't as big a problem as chain rubbing issues

Mr_R.I.DING

Dec 28, 2010
Adelaide
One of my bikes has 2.125 tire. That's about as big as I could go before my tire starts rubbing the chain.

Seems like frame rubbing issues aren't as big a problem as chain rubbing issues
i'm going to assume you have a motorized bike, is it rubbing on the right or the left side of the wheel?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
i'm going to assume you have a motorized bike, is it rubbing on the right or the left side of the wheel?
It's always going to be close on the left side because the motor sprocket is pretty close to the seat post tube. You would have to offset the motor to the left for a bigger tire than about a 2.125. That can be done, but it's not easy for most people.

Mr_R.I.DING

Dec 28, 2010
Adelaide
It's always going to be close on the left side because the motor sprocket is pretty close to the seat post tube. You would have to offset the motor to the left for a bigger tire than about a 2.125. That can be done, but it's not easy for most people.
thats pretty much all you can do, even if you run a wider hub you would more then likely have to offset the motor to accommodate.

a lot of people though are willing to go through that pain because of the nicer aesthetics that wider tires and rims bring, as you can see on a few of the felt bikes, basman etc.