Carbon in crankcase - problem?

GoldenMotor.com

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
I found scoring in the cylinder and a chunk of the chrome lining gone on my HT. I only had maybe 50 miles on it when I saw this. It appears they did not clean up the threads on the spark plug hole as when a plug was screwed in, it flaked some metal off into the cylinder. So I have a new top end coming and tonight took off the jug and piston.

First a comment - getting that wrist pin out was a real pain. It slid out less than 1/4" then was really really tight. But I finally got it.

Now my question - there appears to be carbon build up on sections of the flywheel in the crank case. Much of the flywheel edges are bright and shiny but there are a few sections which are very badly covered with carbon.

So is this a problem? I dont think it is enough to mess up the balance. Should i try to clean it or leave it be? What would you clean it with? I don't want to crack the case open.

Also, what should I use to slosh around the bottom end to try and clean out any stuff in there? Kerosene? Fuel?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
Thank you GearNut - that is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

FYI - After posting last night I took a picture of it:

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The flywheels look typical. A good example of Chinese quality control.
It would be nice if the flywheel blanks were made large enough so after machining they are smooth all around with no rough areas. But the factories do the minimum required and make them for function rather than form.
Still in the end, they work as intended and doing the minimum is part of why these kits are so cheaply priced and why they need a bit of re-work before they are installed by the end user. Something that none of the advertisers tell you about.

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
Thanks for the info GearNut. The fun part of these motors / bikes is that I really enjoy the tinkering part of it; but that is a really good thing since I have spent many more hours tinkering than I have riding!!

Now I just need to wait for the new cylinder to arrive so I can put it back together.