Uh oh!

GoldenMotor.com

klde94

May 5, 2011
hollywood
So I removed the Cover on the left side of the motor ( the cover thats held in place by 3 screws, and has that arm on it), I removed the cover and put the cover back on and now it feels weird. did i install it wrong? someone told me that there is a small ball bearing in the cover area. if thats true, what size and where would i get it from?:-||

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
if you need a bearing , I have used a ball bearing from a one piece bottom bracket crank set. same size unless you measure it.! works good! make sure you put the cover on correctly.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Inside the cover you should have seen the sprocket that drives the chain. In the center hole of the sprocket there should have been a steel pin protruding from it. The bearing goes in the hole behind that pin. Unless you removed the pin the bearing is still there.
You didn't say if this is a new installation that has never run, just that the clutch "feels weird". Not sure what that means. Does the clutch still work? Is it harder to pull?
The moving parts of the clutch actuator should be lubricated. That includes the cam that is inside the cover, the pin and the ball bearing.
Maybe it feels different because you changed the cable tension when you took things apart?
I hope this helps. Let us know.
Tom

klde94

May 5, 2011
hollywood
sorry for not being precise, this engine has NEVER ran. I am doing my first install. Nothing so far is connected to the frame,until i figure this out. I removed the cover and I do see the pin sticking out the pulley, but no ball there, and under the cover there is a arm (which i am guessing is called a clutch arm?) that has a "indentation" is that where a ball goes?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Read my post again. I said the ball bearing is behind the pin that sticks out of the sprocket.
In other words; there is a hole in the middle of the sprocket. A ball bearing, approximately 5/16" in diameter goes in that hole, then the pin goes in.

Inside the cover that you removed is a cam-like device that is rotated by the clutch actuating arm by the cable that is pulled when you depress the handlebar clutch lever.
That cam pushes against the pin and the pin presses on the ball bearing to disengage the clutch.
I hope this explains it for you. Let us know if you have problems. We'll get you riding soon.
Tom

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Use a long nail or something to feel for the bearing. Odds are it's fine, and you probably changed the cable tension. When you're adjusting cable tension, adjust it so that the camshaft is perfectly flat against the pin/bar (bucking bar). From then on out, adjust the clutch plate to adjust the clutch.