hoist recommendations for garage storage

GoldenMotor.com

Dirt Nerd

Apr 15, 2009
Erie, Co
I've got limited space in my garage and thought the only place to store it was hanging it from the ceiling.

Given that my bike w/ motor probably exceeds the average garage hanger system for bicycles, what pulley or lift system recommendations do y'all have for heavier motorbicycles?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I think you'll find that most if not all of those ready made hoist systems will have a 75 to 100 lb limit. I personally would not hang a motorized bicycle on one. In fact I use a safety strap on the one holding my wife's mountain bike and it only weighs about 35 lbs. I just don't trust that nylon rope that came with it.
For a motorbike, I'd take Joe's advice and install a couple of good quality pullys, make sure they are anchored securely in a joist or ceiling beam, some nylon rope, perferably minimum of 3/8" with at least a 150lb load limit. I tend to over build, but my stuff doesn't fall apart, or drop from the ceiling.
Tom

Dirt Nerd

Apr 15, 2009
Erie, Co
of course! duct tape!

thanks for all the advice. i am weary of the off the shelf kits, and was thinking of building a pair of brackets to mount to the wall studs that the pulleys would hang from.

Then have a dock cleat like you find in the marina to tie the rope to.

you guys rock