Clutch lock-up

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Did a lot of riding again today. Was accelerating into a busy intersection, heard and felt something strange.

Rode home and thought that everything was normal until I killed the engine and pushed the bike.

The clutch was engaged and would not disengage, although the release was working properly.

I did not notice it after hearing the noise because The engine also has the centrifgual clutch option.

The bearings on the clutch pads retainer, failed and caused the lock-up (races were scared).

I am not sure if this assembly can be purchased seperatly.

Attachments

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
No, the pads are loose and like new due to the c-clutch doing most of the engageing/disengaging.

It definetly is the bearings as they are chewed up.

Seems to me that they should be lightly lubed every 500 mi or so to keep them in good shape instead of running dry.

The only good part is that I didn't have to push it all the way home.

Hiya, That sux,.. but Spookies about the only one around with a specific rebuild kit(I think)

Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Clutch Repair Kit

Do you think you might get away with just new pads? You can find them cheaper. Wait for a couple of experts to reply before you buy anything though, just in case their's a solution I don't know of.

gl.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
So is it just the bearings you need? or, well, are the bearing races on what you have clean or gouged? You might be able to get away with new bearings... iirc they're 3mm X57.