Pittsburgh Stolen Schwinn Collegiate (recovered!) - Help from Pee-wee Herman

GoldenMotor.com

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Wow good spot!

I unscrewed the bolt, but I am unable to realign the flat parallel to the arm. It seems to be seized. Should I just leave it as is to try to get the motor running? Will I loose some of the leverage that you get when the arm is parallel with the wheels? I guess I can just get a new clutch arm, and cable later. I hear manic mechanic makes a better replacement.

Attachments

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
The threads look pretty shredded, I doubt even if I got it loose that the bolt could keep the thing secured. So I guess it stays as is for now, going to look for that mm part for a potential replacement.

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Okay, I think I've got a sick engine. It sounds like a sewing machine, its definitely not the smooth running beast it was before it left. I shot a video, can anyone tell by the sound whats going on? The piston seems to still be moving, and the compression is there but maybe weaker. Just sounds all wrong though :( Here's the link: MobileMe Gallery

This may be better if you don't have quicktime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFJbUE7eavA

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
spark plug gap at 20 thou.,,, clutch pucks ok,,,,,air leaks checked,,,,plug wire making a good connection,,,,and the cdi wires,,,,head gasket not leaking,,,,big gear on the clutch side (the little ball bearings),,,,,fuel mix 32/1,,,,,sounded pretty good,slow throttle,,,,back to plug

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Spark gapped around 30.

Clutch seems to be engaging, the piston is definitely moving I can feel the compression, less than before however.

Checked plugs and cdi.

I'm one of the 100:1ers.

The noise is now very "clicky" like a rattle, it has definitely changed. It used to have a much lower tone. This sympton seems to be the most suspect.

I'm not sure how to check the bearings.

Head gasket doesn't seem any dirtier than before.

I pulled the plug, it was blackish, better than whiteish right?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
could one of the rings collapsed or snaped in the middle and just be riding in the grove,Less compression and could hurt the motor,might r and r the jug and have a look see,,,the compression thing is a thing that needs to discover why,especially if you can notice the difference easily ,,,,is the big clutch gear and crank gear needing a blob of grease,right side of motor side

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Should I leave it on the bike, but remove the head and then slide the jug off? I haven't had it apart since I first put it on. Do I have to do anything special with the head gasket?

thanks for the help!

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
cannot promice the outcome of the head or base gasket,,,if the orange bike is the frame it looks like it has lots of working clearence,,,and you may need other parts upon any discoverys,,,If you had it apart before you probebly know how it should look and how the rings should act,,,the big compression loss leaves my guess at rings or head gasket and it has to come apart to see them,,,again before disassembly why do you think the compression is weak?

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
The compression, if it was a 10 before, it feels more like a 7. Simply rolling the bike while walking next to it and releasing the clutch, the engine turns over more easily, where it would lock the wheel before if I wasn't sitting on it. So it doesn't seem like the compression is completely gone, it just seems diminished.

I do have a lot of clearance with that frame (the orange one), so I should be able to pull off the head and jug to check things out.

What you are saying makes sense, that one of the rings could have broken. I'm thinking more and more that this guy ran with no oil. That may be the source of the clicking.

Elitefr

Sep 12, 2010
Pittsburgh
Just take the head off and see how the piston looks. I hope there's no blow-by and the rings are in check... good luck.
and make sure you lube up the cylinder and piston when putting the head back on

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Here's some pics of the piston head. Looks like charcoal. The inside of the cylinder seems mostly smooth, with a bit of rough ash like stuff on one side, seems more like ash from the piston residue. Also I shot video of the piston going up and down. It seems to be normal there. I still hear that new "click click cllck click" sound when trying to pedal start the engine. It used to do more of a "whooomp whooomp whooomp whoomp" turnover sound when starting.

YouTube - Black Piston

Attachments

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
does the stuff in the cylinder wall wipe off or is it rough metal under it?,,,,what is the little squigly thing on top edge of the piston?

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
It looks like it can be wiped off, I don't believe its scarred. The squiggly thing is some crap from the lock tight I believe. The top of the piston is just nicely toasted, with no evidence of damage besides the char.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
do you get the clicking sound moving the bike back and forth a few inches (clutch in traveling position),might be able to pin-point it w/out the compression and have a place to focus on

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
No its sounds about normal when moving it around and walking with it. Sounds smooth. but when I try to start it thats where it sounds clicky like here YouTube - A Blown Engine?

But It does like the compression was lessened. When starting it you can tell its turning over too easily.

The sound clicking gives me more worry than the black cylinder head that something is maybe messed up.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
well if you slip the jug off and that is the prob.,,you will be able to see itand feel it by hand

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Like a banshee in the night or a bat outta ****, this guy was spotted for days barreling straight WOT through the streets of Pittsburgh. It was surreal, but yeah, he ran the piss for sure.

I'd love to bring it back to life, but at what point should I just go for a new engine? It's amazing I got the thing back anyway.