bicycle car carrier and motorbikes

GoldenMotor.com

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
I wanna be able to take one with me on the back of a sedan.
I have been lookin around for carriers

I have been looking at this one Walmart.com: Allen Deluxe 2-Bike Carrier, Model 102DB: Bikes, Scooters & Skates

and this one
Amazon.com: Valley Trunk Mounted 3-Bike Carrier: Sports & Outdoors

as you can see I am trying not to spend a lot of money and I cannot seem to see exactly how the bike actually mount on these and whether or not the motor would get in the way, I think I actually have a pretty good amount of space on my personal bike though as pictured below, so what do you think I should pick up? one of these are maybe something different, I was checkin cragslist and other places for a used one but all I found was truck ones.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Got a picture of the back of your sedan?
That will decide what will strap on and what won't.
I have had a rear bike carry rack sitting here for 8 years and it was never able to hook to any vehicle I have owned.

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
I have a 4-bike rack by Allen and it's ok with 3 bikes. Seems a little flimsier than some, but you need to pay attention and get one that doesn't have a rod coming out of the middle, where the bikes hang. My mother-in-law got one with a center piece that comes up and outward, with branches to the left and right, and we couldn't hang the bike because the center is in the way of the engine. The Allen has a center post that goes up, but then branches come out toward you (on the left and right) and they contact 2 places on the frame of the bike, away from center where the engine sits.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
I was thinkin about getting the Allen because that way if I can't get it on the car or it dose not hold the bike very well I could return it to walmart so if everybody thinks it will be ok, I think thats what I'll go for.

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Just be aware that, if you get a 2-bike, you may not be able to hang 2 bikes on it. The width added to your bike may not allow it. We really struggled to get 4 on the 4-bike rack because the bikes with engines couldn't hang close to the tree-trunk and couldn't hand side-by-side, either. 2 bikes had no engines and hung by the trunk and in between the bikes who have engines and one of the bikes was a 20" boys, while 3 were 26"...

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
get one off craig list for cheaper,,,I carry bikes on a simple strap on trunk carrier I set the lower foot at the horizintal angle at the bumper and trunk,,AND,,I use a length of rope around the trunk hinges and out the front of the trunk by the window for a safty tie back too the bikes ,(if a strap should fail)It takes the load for the straps,,,the car you have may have the hinges on the side so you may need a short 2 foot length of 4 inch pcv pipe too run the rope through in the trunk

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It looks like the Wally World Allen would work on your trunk.

Product in Inches (L x W x H): 23.0 x 16.0 x 4.0
It like the arms are 16" apart, just take a tape measure to your bike and see where it would line up.
You might want to pick your bike up at those spots as well to get a feel for balance.