micargi puma gts newbie build

GoldenMotor.com

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I think it was from bikeberry.Com but I'll have to look. If you search for bike cnc motor mount you should be able to find it. The mount didn't fit the frame exactly though, the diameters weren't the same. I had to use a strip of rubber in between the frame and mount to get it tight. I could have used a strip of metal instead but I used rubber.k it was this one. http://www.gasbike.net/cnc-universal-mount.html

Last edited:

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
I could have used a strip of metal instead but I used rubber.
I have no experience one way or the other, but word on the street is that you want to avoid pliable materials in your engine mounting. theres a thread on here somewhere with some pictures of a snapped frame tube because of this.
basically as I understand the physics of it what happens is that the rubber has that small amount of give when the motor vibrates wich means you feel less vibration through the bike, but this in fact allows the engine to vibrate more. over time the engine being able to vibrate will cut through the rubber under the mount and begin to mangle the frame.

it may be a better idea to use some strips of pop can instead, or if you have some thin steel sheet lying around that would be better. from the looks of that mount you can have the surface under it be slightly too thick and it will still work.

or in a pinch (if you are willing to do so) you can file/sand away some of the metal from the flat mating surfaces of the clamp. ideally a clap like this would have a millimeter or so gap between the two sided of the clap when it is tight.

and as if I handt said it enough, Dude! Sweet bike!

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
You know as I was typing my last part I remember reading a thread about the mount thing so I'll fix that before I run the motor. Thanks for looking out. Ideally id like to just sand/file the mount but I might just use a strip of metal

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
You know as I was typing my last part I remember reading a thread about the mount thing so I'll fix that before I run the motor. Thanks for looking out. Ideally id like to just sand/file the mount but I might just use a strip of metal
I've been reading along, nice build!

As far as sanding the mount faces- I'd recommend something like double sided tape on a very flat surface, to attach progressively finer grades of sand paper to. This way you will get both faces evenly reduced.

If you choose to use a filler- I have used copper strapping that plumbers use to hang pipes under a house. It's cheap, thin enough, and not too wide. it also has little holes running the length of it. I have convinced myself that these holes allow the materiel to compress better when I tension the mount bolts. You should use no filler of any kind. If you do use a filler, check it thoroughly, regularly. It will be a weak point in your build.

Petcock- You've built a pretty sweet bike. You replaced the crappy factory fuel line, why don't you go all in and replace that drain cock too? Any lawnmower parts place should have two or three different ones on the shelf that will work for you. It's cheap, and the kit ones' are prone to leak.

Fuel filter- Throw away the kit filter that is in the petcock even if you don't replace the petcock. I can't say enough bad things about them. Get an automotive style clear plastic one for about $5, or better yet do what I do;

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44942

Pretty cool huh? Bet that'd look good on your bike...

Oh! One more thing, be sure to flush your tank, there is often junk stuck inside there from the factory/ shipping. A good fuel filter will get it usually though.

Almost there!

Last edited:

highstrung74

Nov 4, 2014
illinois
Got my motor fully mounted just need to paint the mounts and do everything else but I can check one thing off my list.
MUCH better way of mounting the front mount instead of welding a"dummy"bar(a six inch vertical bar").....and looks and works very well.....nicely done.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Haven't updated this in a while but I've since replace the crap fuel cut off switch with just a nipple off the tank and a fuel cut off switch from a briggs and straton. I still need to replace the fuel filter but can't seem to find one small enough where I've been going, I need to look a little better at like home depot. I still have yet to take it for a ride but hopefully will this week as I'm on vacation. Oh I also added a speedometer that my brother had from his ruckus build, not the stock one.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Finally had time to take it out for its first motor assisted ride. It rode great I just have to adjust my seat and the idle but no big deal. The motor fired up pretty easy especially after the first time. I didn't push the motor since I know it has to break in. It went 23mph which I think isn't too bad considering its first time and it's a heavy bike and I weigh close to 200lbs. All in all it was a blast and went smooth. Very happy here.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
The only issues I had were it kinda bogged when I would give it almost full throttle(for just like 5 seconds) but when I got home I noticed the spark plug was loose do that was most likely the cause and a screw came out that holds the chain guard on and the other one was loose. I forgot to lock tight em. Opps so now I have to replace the screw and lock tight the other one. No big deal and adjust my idle. All easy things. If I can get 30 mph out of this I'll be happy. Oh and I need a side mirror too.now to check all the screws and bolts.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
So I went out to take my bike to work for the first time the other day and it wouldn't start. So I came back home and hopped in my car. I pulled the spark plug this morning and it was black and wet, so I'm gonna get a new ngk or e3 plug. I know the stock China plug is crap anyways.I eventually want to replace the plug wire too with a good msd wire.I was bummed I couldn't ride my bike but oh well.