49cc HS oil leaking out of stock carb and white smoke from exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

Longhaulin

Apr 5, 2014
SE Wisconsin
Hi, I recently installed a brand new from Gasbike 49cc HS with 7G on an old (60's) Schwinn cruiser, fired it up the first time a couple days ago and oil was leaking heavily from the stock carb. I fired it up again today and it's still leaking oil from the carb plus a heavy amount of white smoke comes out of the exhaust. I had it running for about 5 minutes, it didn't stop until I turned off the engine. (I'm using 10w30 SAE conventional oil from Autozone with detergents to break it in.)

The black rubber breather:confused: tube connected from the engine to the carb wasn't in the engine I noticed today before starting up the engine. I put the tube in the engine before starting it up today... Also the two clear tubes coming off the carb I had put screws in the ends to plug them up. Perhaps they should be removed? I already took them out and will try it again tomorrow as I work during the day.

Anyone ever have this issue or any possible solutions? Should I get a longer tube to replace the black breather:confused: tube, disconnect that tube from the carb and instead put a fuel filter in it and have it so the other end that would connect to the carb is pointing straight up?

The engine is also on a slight slant, maybe 10 degrees so the cylinder is almost parellel to the front tube. I hope this isn't the cause cause that's the only way it would fit on the bike. The oil level was full when I filled it when level, being on this slant I put more oil in, maybe half a quart of oil total(or close to it, until it got to the filler neck.) Could it be because I put too much oil in that it is leaking and smoking?

I could take some pictures but need to charge batteries for the camera and I may need to make a few more posts before I can post pics... I hope someone can help with this issue...

Last edited:

Longhaulin

Apr 5, 2014
SE Wisconsin
Fixed it. Too much oil was the problem. I had to lift the front wheel up two feet to make the motor level. Disconnected the breather tube from the stock air box, put a filter on it and longer tube. I'll have to fashion a longer dipstick so I can check the oil on the fly. As it is now the dipstick doesn't touch the oil at all. Took her for a 2 mile spin last night and rides fine. My main ride is a 66cc grubee 2stroke with 4000 miles so I don't have much experience with 4 strokes...

rmfla