Norm shortening a throttle cable

GoldenMotor.com

lowrider

Jun 16, 2009
VAB
Nice how-to flick

So why did you do that? only to be able to push that cap up some on the cable?

or am I missing something??

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
He had the adjustment all the way out on the carb taking up the slack. So he did it to take the slack out and show other people how to do it. Norms just that kind of guy.................

lowrider

Jun 16, 2009
VAB
Ok so the cable was too long? couldn't you just do some creative cable mounting to counter that ?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
not if you want a shorter cable or need to make that cable end it was for showing how to do it mine was way to long so I used it for the show and tell. made the adjusting part not stick all the way out when I was done shorting the inner cable.
Norman

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
I've used this method to make new throttle cables from brake cables instead of waiting for one to come in from a vendor.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Very cool video explains a lot! I liked you metric crescent wrench set.LOL I am going to try this thanks for sharing Norm! That pesky little cable will break soon enough.

skyliner

May 17, 2009
jensen
hey thanks for the tip just saved me having to wait for shipping my throttlecable jus broke so ima use an old brake cable now thanks norm hey can i get silver solder from home depot

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
not if you want a shorter cable or need to make that cable end it was for showing how to do it mine was way to long so I used it for the show and tell. made the adjusting part not stick all the way out when I was done shorting the inner cable.
Norman
Thanks for the tip it solves my problem with what to do wit the excess t-cable on a occ build!

Sparks66

Nov 4, 2009
San Jose, Ca
Thanks for sharing. My cable is way too long. Why in the world is there so much slack in the cable? I guess it's another poor quality control thing. So I went to the hardware store and bought the required materials and will try it out on some surplus cable and then go for it on the real thing.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
The slack is there to allow full tightening from a full closed slack adjustmen screw while at its slackest point, it will still acheive full throttle from a full closed throttle thus, as you ride your bike, in time , the new cable will strech -then the set screw be opened to compinsate. My cable allows this and am i ever glad because it was designed so that it can be cut several times, before it becomes too short to allow full CLOSED throttle -then all you have to do is cut off a bitt of housing.:/

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
I've used this method to make new throttle cables from brake cables instead of waiting for one to come in from a vendor.
I tired brake cable also but i found that they were too thick for housing causing lots of resistance. Ended up braking. I will use bike shifter cable and grind down little nib at end to fit the carburetor slot and then cut the cable at other end to fit throttle -then I will use Norms cable ends to attach to throttle and I just happen to have two of norms cable ends, yep, I went and made them ,they are amongst the greatest things this forum could ever have. The extra length of my "stock " cable allows me to repair it more than once if it snaps,but of course I have to have Norms cable ends and I already have them. The time and trouble it took to make them is nothing compared to the time and trouble they will save. :/cvlt1

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
awesome norm, I always wondered how to make a new tit on the end without buying the brass ones for cable kits there a rip off!!!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you must of lost what you had it been a sticky for a while. LOL!

Some people have asked what the phone wire does or what it for?
I wrap the single strand of copper wire around the cable,one layer thick
(around 5 turns)tightly to make a sort of spiral wrapped knob which is the
replacement for the tit( ferrule) that was on the end. I apply only enough silver
solder to fill the cable and the wrapped on phone wire no need to gob on a big booger
of solder. the solder is a way of solidly attaching the phone wire to the cable
which once attached is the new end for the cable

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
Norm, I watched the video but it was pretty blurry so I couldn't see any detail. I get the general idea of what you are doing but couldn't see a few parts. One is I think you wound some copper wire somewhere and the other is I couldn't see what the solder was for or where you put it. Is the solder acting as the little ball stopper at the end of the cable.

Do you think you could post a pic of the final product?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
The solder is used on the wrapped on phone wire. The solder bonds the phone wire to the cable
making the wrapped on wire the cable end.
Use just enough solder to fill in the wires.
Practice on a scrap cable to get it right. You will see how it works once you try doing it.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
measure where you want the end to be wrap the phone wire around the cable for 3 to 4 mm
in length (the phone wire becomes the tit you will need for the end) silver solder the tit to the cable clean off the flux/boogers then trim off the excess length.

http://motorbicycling.com/f39/motorized-bicycle-carburetor-install-rebuild-302.html
go to permalink #17 on page #2 it shows a photo of the cable end
look closely there is a length of cable with the phone wire wrapped on it. I have a arrow pointing to the phone wire wrapped on the cable. The phone wire is not trimmed or soldered on on that length of cable. then towards the bottom right side is an example of the tit and cable end, its a short chunk of cable with an end soldered on made from phone wire.
hope that helps you.

Last edited: