Drum brakes, disc brakes, or hydraulic disc brakes

GoldenMotor.com

t6R

Mar 31, 2014
Connecticut
I'm looking for a fairly strong set of rear brakes. I have a skyhawk GT2A frame, and vbrakes just don't cut it. I have to readjust them nearly every single ride. Lots of stopping and going on my commute. So my question is, Drum, disc, or Hydraulic?

Which of these would last longer, and be stronger?

I also have another question.Will a Shift kit fit on the skyhawk frame with the pedestal in the front for the engine? I really want a shift kit because i think it will make the ride a lot better because of all the stop lights on my commute to work.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
What do you have for front brake? That is the most important one. Hydraulic 200mm disc brake.

Rear brake.. anything goes.. whatever is cheapest and easiest to setup. I run a 70mm drum and it's enough for a rear brake. I ran completely without a rear brake for 1k miles... only lowsided once on dirt at 15mph from front wheel braking.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Disk brakes are the best. However, you can install strong, weather proof drum brake wheels on any bike as they require no caliper mount. Drum brakes look better to me on a vintage style motorbike.
-Both drum and disk brakes on the rear make it tougher to mount the sprocket for the engine chain. (That is why I only used a drum brake on the front).
-Easier to do fix road side tire punctures with disk or rim brakes.

t6R

Mar 31, 2014
Connecticut
I have a cheap disc brake that came off a mountain bike, but i don't know what it is or how big the rotor is. I'm anticipating the finished build to be somewhere near as powerful as some of those "pro" bikes. I'm not sure what else to call them, no disrespect intended. I'm planning on adding a shift kit to this bike so i can put a rear disc on it too. If i were to do so, what would you guys reccomend for decent stopping power?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
No disrespect intended, but I highly doubt that you'll be making anywhere near the power of the real 'Pro' bikes... There's a lot more to making these engines powerful than just bolting on a few parts.
My personal race bike uses a hydraulic 200mm front disc brake & a rear coaster brake (it stops great & it's one of the fastest bikes on the track).
Honestly, a rear coaster works plenty well for these bikes as long as you have a good front brake. ;)

If you're h*ll bent on having a rear disc?, look for a quality brand for both front & rear. (^)

image-627114842.jpg

image-1310774830.jpg

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I have a cheap disc brake that came off a mountain bike, but i don't know what it is or how big the rotor is. I'm anticipating the finished build to be somewhere near as powerful as some of those "pro" bikes. I'm not sure what else to call them, no disrespect intended. I'm planning on adding a shift kit to this bike so i can put a rear disc on it too. If i were to do so, what would you guys reccomend for decent stopping power?
The pros got there by learning to use the front brake effectively.... Using only rear it doesn't have to lock the rear, but if you're using the front to the max then locking the rear should come easy.

Last edited:

t6R

Mar 31, 2014
Connecticut
No disrespect intended, but I highly doubt that you'll be making anywhere near the power of the real 'Pro' bikes... There's a lot more to making these engines powerful than just bolting on a few parts.
My personal race bike uses a hydraulic 200mm front disc brake & a rear coaster brake (it stops great & it's one of the fastest bikes on the track).
Honestly, a rear coaster works plenty well for these bikes as long as you have a good front brake. ;)

If you're h*ll bent on having a rear disc?, look for a quality brand for both front & rear. (^)

View attachment 80282

View attachment 80283
No disrespect, but i'm putting a lot of work into this engine to make a faster machine. I know about engine porting, Carbs, proper cylinder head, Piston modifications and the like. I just need better forks because the person who rode the bike those forks came on was fairly hefy(380lbs) and the springs are very worn out. It bottoms out whenever i use the back brake or slow down. No disrespect to the guy, he is my best friend.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Hydraulic disc brakes are definitely the most effective and depending on how fast you plan on making the bike, you should be able to use a 160mm rotor up front. If you plan on racing it or going faster than 40mph on a regular basis, the 180mm may be a better choice, the 203mm rotors are huge and will Stop just about anything repeatedly over and over without any fading issues. I'm running a hydraulic setup up front with a 160mm rotor and it'll flip the bike if I pull too hard on the lever, the bigger rotors will have even more stopping power as well as run cooler and the pads tend to last longer since it takes less friction on the larger rotors to get the same stopping power. Smaller rotors have the advantage that they are compact, out of the way, and less vulnerable to damage if your bike goes down, they are also really good for rear brakes with a 180 or 203 up front. You can get a 140mm for the rear if running a 160 up front but this size isnt as common as the larger ones.
My setup is the 160mm disc up front and V brakes on the back side, the V brakes will do just fine for the rears since they don't need to do a lot, but when I had the V brakes up front I was changing pads every few days.