Tire width question

GoldenMotor.com

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
So if I need a narrower tire do I go to a narrower width? I have a 26x2.125 and I'm having some chain clearance issues and need a narrower tire so I'm looking at getting a 26x1.50. I know about car tires but just need to know if the same applies to bike tires too. Thanks

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Yup.
I like tires at least 1 3/4, though. Softer ride at speed.
Ohio motorbike regs even states 1 3/4" or bigger, 24" minimum.

You can get more clearance on most kits by reversing the sprocket, one side is dished in, the other out. Sprocket hub adapters like the Manic Mechanic adapter let you slide the sprocket and clamshell farther outboard to get more tire clearance, but in fact the engine sprocket's distance from the engine center line determines where the sprocket on the wheel needs to be.
Most kit engines will allow 2.125 tires. You may just need to flip your rear sprocket and make certain your rag joint is assembled to the spokes correctly.
There are also narrower chains, like the 415 Industrial chain from KMC. It gets you 1/16th inch more clearance than a standard 415.
Hope this helps.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
This is for a micargi puma gts. I have a manic hub and 41 chain. The 415 didn't fit the rear sprocket. The chain is mm's away from the frame and just Knicks the tire but is wearing the tire so i can't move the chain away anymore so I need a narrower tire. Thanks for your reply.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
The 41 chain has eaten up your clearance. The tire is as good a way as any to remedy the situation. I have the manic unit with a 40 tooth aluminum sprocket and it takes a 415 just fine. I wonder what's different on yours.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I don't know but I've read that the 415 didn't fit do i I don know but it didn't fit mine. I have a 36 tooth, maybe that's why.The 415 wouldn't fit all the way around the sprocket, it would go like 3/4 the way around then start to bind so I couldn't use it.I figure since the chain has eaten some of the tire and it's taken some of the paint fringe the frame it's time for a new tire anyways and a narrower tire would just solve everything. It's just such I tight fit everywhere on this bike the even a few mm would be huge. I'm looking at a 26x1.6 white wall tire

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
If I go from a 2.215 tire to a 1.5 tire will I need a new tube too
Yes. You'll go nuts with the road feedback. I'd look for something in the 1.75" range. I run a 1.95 and it is about an eighth of an inch from the tire, though it doesn't rub much because my chainline is off by about 3/8" as well... bike is all f'd up.. :D

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
K so I found a 1.75 that should work with my bike but looking at tubes it seems I shouldn't need a new one that I could use the one from my 2.125, am I right? Sorry I got my numbers mixed up in my last post there.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
K so I found a 1.75 that should work with my bike but looking at tubes it seems I shouldn't need a new one that I could use the one from my 2.125, am I right? Sorry I got my numbers mixed up in my last post there.
That tube should work just fine. As long as you have the right diameter tube for the tire, there is nothing to worry about.