stupid rear wheel

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
no matter how tight I tighten my bolts my rear wheel always creeps forward putting too much slop on both my chains. Do I have the wrong frame/axle combo? Could I get by with blue locktite? I have a cool frame but if this continues to be a problem it may have to be swapped with a more conventional frame.
it never ends, does it

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
If you're not already using them, get some knurled washers from a bike shop. Also, the obvious, make sure the dropouts are cleaned of grease/oil etc. you might have to scuff up or remove the paint in that area. good luck

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
If you have horizontal drop outs you could use some BMX style chain adjusters to lock your rear wheel where you need it, otherwise a set of serrated washers will keep the wheel where you put it as long as your dropouts aren't all ate up already from the previous owner or from the wheel moving around in the slots.

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
You could make a couple of washers with threadstock silversoldered to them with baskets behind the axle slot to nut them back with locknuts.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
then this just happened

good thing I have a front brake or I'd be having dinner with Groucho tonight.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Whoa, dude. that looks bad. Looks like the chainstay is bent. If not then I think the knurled/serrated washers would help your axle creeping issue.

I'd love to have dinner with Groucho.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That's why I don't like coaster brakes... well... one of the reasons. That looks like the axle nuts are working their way loose on you due to under torquing or the lack of serrated nuts or washers that bite into the dropouts and then they work loose every time you use the coaster brake. Swapping those nuts out for some better ones that have the serrated teeth on the dropout side or getting the serrated washers like used on BMX bikes should help prevent the nuts from working their way loose.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I wouldn't use that arm again. Id convert the coaster hub to freewheel and add a rear c-brake.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
You can most likely bend that coaster arm back straight but you'll need to remove it to bend it back, and a vise will be helpful. If you got a way to heat it up it'll bend back easier.
If there's a bike shop in your area you might be able to just buy a new coaster arm... as well as the serrated washers and nuts that won't back off once torqued.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I have a bunch of bike shops in my city. The trick is finding the one that a) isn't weenie bike only, b) has old parts in stock c) won't straight up lie to me and tell me something doesn't exist when I know damn well it does d) doesn't have a hipster working behind the counter that just rolls their eyes when I ask a question and e) a place that isn't sick of me yet.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Lol... I know all about that situation... I went to one shop about 6 months ago to see if they had any replacement bushings for my Noleen fork setup and the guy kept telling me there's no such thing as a Noleen fork, then I told him it's also made by Girvin and might be under that name, again, the guy told me there's no such brand. I then told him they were very common on the older ProFlex bikes, which he again told me this brand didn't exist. I told him that Proflex bikes were popular back in the mid 90's then he proceeded to tell me that he's been working on bikes for over 30 years and never heard of them. I gave up on this guy pretty much right after he told me there were no such brands like Noleen or Girvin but wanted to keep him going since he obviously didn't know as much as he wanted people to think.
Not to make my trip to his shop a total waste, I asked him about converting my bike to disc brakes since he had a counter display full of disc brake parts and he told me that the only way I could get disc brakes was by buying a new bike that came with them... Next I asked if he sold any rims with a disc brake hub laced in and he told me it won't work, I'd have to buy a new bike that already has disc brakes if I wanted a disc brake... needless to say I left his shop unimpressed and empty handed.

There used to be a shop really close to where I live and that guy had just about anything and everything, but he went out of business several years ago, I'm guessing that he couldnt compete with some of these newer shops filled with idiots who probably don't even know what a coaster brake arm is...

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I guess they can't know everything, I mentioned to a well respected mechanic that my road bike is a "giant made schwinn" it's a 90's schwinn world sport - at the time Schwinn was outsourcing their frame building to either Giant or Panasonic. He went on to tell me that they are two separate companies and I didn't know what I was talking about. Funny thing is, this bike had the shop's sticker on it and he had been at that shop for years. I guess I shouldn't expect him to know the history of every company that made bikes but couldn't he assume I looked it up?

but I digress. I will hit the shops today, one in particular has a guy who is an ebike enthusiast. At least he won't scold me for putting a motor on a bike.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
$2.75 in parts at the bike shop and I'm hoping to be back on the road tonight.
dance1
awesome!
I love an Easy fix.

you may want to keep an eye out for a parts bike you can canibalize the rear wheel and brakes from. seing as you are mobile again you don't need it NOW so you can keep an eye out for bits.