Can I remove a cooling fin on my fred head to make temp gauge fit?

GoldenMotor.com

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
Having a dilemma. I got a temp gauge for my head, but it does not fit in my fred head. I could remove (or shorten way down) one small cooling fin and it would fit. Would this be bad for the motor, or can I just go ahead and do it? Here is a picture of the head, and I am pointing to the cooling fin I would remove. Would it be OK?

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There is a general rule of thumb regarding heat exchangers, which the cylinder head actually is. You can remove, block, or otherwise change about 10% of the surface area without seriously compromising the heat dissipating ability of the exchanger.

Removing enough material to fit that sensor should not hurt the cooling capacity.
Go for it. But only take off what is absolutely necessary. Another consideration is any warranty you might have had with that head. I'm sure the maker wouldn't honor it if there were changes made such as you want to do. Your call there.

Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Rather then cutting out an entire fin, could you not rotate the sender 90° & simply shorten the end of one or two (to center) of the laterals (fins 2 & 3 up frm finger)?

Either way I'd say go for it (heeding 2door's cautions ofc), it's an issue commonly faced with thermocouples of that sort, jus' to inspire confidence - here's mine on a four-smoker, possibly having less room & defo harder to access lol, but works a treat ;)

...another option is to utilize one of the head bolts, it won't give quite as high a reading as off the plug - but CHT (cylinder head temp) readings are more about averages & peaks then exactness, like Tom said - your call ofc

Last edited: