tennessee motorized bicycle laws

GoldenMotor.com

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
tca- 55-8-101:-(34) “Motorized bicycle” means a vehicle with two (2) or three (3) wheels, an automatic transmission, and a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) which produces no more than two (2) brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of no more than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on level ground. The operator of a motorized bicycle must be in possession of a valid operator's or chauffeur's license, and shall be subject to all applicable and practical rules of the road. A motorized bicycle may not be operated on a highway of the interstate and defense highway system, any similar limited access multilane divided highway, or upon sidewalks;

this is copied, form tennessee code. i could find no law stating anyone over the age of 16 is required to wear a helmet. check it out for yourself, but i have been riding without one for a while.

here is the link to the entire tennessee code for anyone from tennessee that would like to double check, this info .

http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpex....htm&cp=tncode

if you find a law stating adults have to wear a helmet, let me know. i don't need any tickets .

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
this is an email reply from tn dept. of safety, just passing it on

Is there currently a law in the TCA that requires an adult to wear a helmet to ride a bike on the road? I searched the code, couldn't find one. I may have missed it. If there is a law, could someone direct me to such law?, or confirm there is no such law. Please reply . Thank you,

Larry

Reply:

Larry: Tennessee law speaks specifically to persons under sixteen (16) years of age. It also addresses the responsibility of adults regarding their children. You will find attached, three (3) statutes that should provide you with this information. tca 55-52-104 thru 106

Lieutenant Darrell Miller
Tennessee Department of Safety
Tennessee Highway Patrol
Research, Planning and Development
1150 Foster Avenue
Nashville, Tennessee 37249-1000
Phone: (615) 687-2403
Fax: (615) 253-2096
[email protected]

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Here is something I found in the State Gazette Dyersburg,Tennessee

Efficient Fuel Consumption Vehicles
Posted Tuesday, August 5, 2008, at 4:27 PM
<< Previous | Respond | Email link

All of us are well aware of the fluctuation of fuel costs in our country. Many citizens have sought out alternate methods of travel and/or alternate fuel sources to offset the ever increasing prices of a barrel of crude oil. Many have had questions and/or comments on alternate vehicles and their classifications.

On June 17, 2008 a blog on Legal and Safe Bicycling was posted, which received some great comments. One comment that was posted was the following:

"What about license requirements for scooters under 49cc? The motorcycle handbook says it does not need tags because it is considered a motorized bicycle"

-- Posted by jonboon on Fri, Jun 27, 2008, at 3:48 PM

Below is some of the Tennessee state law verbiage as it pertains to "Autocycle", "Bicycle", "Motor Vehicle", "Motorcycle", "Motor-driven cycle", and "Motorized bicycle." Instead of including the entire TCA (Tennessee Code Anotated) sections, I have only included the sections that pertain to the above mentioned vehicles and/or cycles.

55-8-101. Chapter definitions. --

As used in this chapter and chapter 10, parts 1-5, of this title, unless the context otherwise requires:

(3) "Autocycle" has the same meaning as defined in § 55-1-103;

(4) "Bicycle" means every device propelled by human power upon which any person may ride, having two (2) tandem wheels, either of which is more than twenty inches (20) in diameter;

(31) "Motor vehicle" means every vehicle, including a low speed vehicle as defined in this section, that is self-propelled excluding motorized bicycles and every vehicle, including a low speed vehicle as defined in this section, that is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails;

(32) "Motorcycle" means every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the ground, including a vehicle that is fully enclosed, has three (3) wheels in contact with the ground, weighs less than one thousand five hundred pounds (1,500 lbs.), and has the capacity to maintain posted highway speed limits, excluding a tractor or motorized bicycle;

(33) "Motor-driven cycle" means every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor which produces not to exceed five (5) brake horsepower, or with a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding one hundred twenty-five cubic centimeters (125cc);

(34) "Motorized bicycle" means a vehicle with two (2) or three (3) wheels, an automatic transmission, and a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) which produces no more than two (2) brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of no more than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on level ground. The operator of a motorized bicycle must be in possession of a valid operator's or chauffeur's license, and shall be subject to all applicable and practical rules of the road. A motorized bicycle may not be operated on a highway of the interstate and defense highway system, any similar limited access multilane divided highway, or upon sidewalks;

55-4-101. Registration required before operation -- Application -- Issuance of registration and license plates -- Rules and regulations -- Temporary permit -- Transfer of registration when changing vehicles -- Fees -- Safety rules for homemade trailers. --

(k) The owner of a motorized bicycle may, subject to the approval of the commissioner, apply for registration and registration plates for such motorized bicycle. The commissioner shall by regulation provide for the manner in which such single applications are to be made and the conditions under which they may be allowed; however, this provision shall not be construed as granting the commissioner authority to issue such registration and plates on any basis other than as is required in this chapter. Each applicant for registration under this provision shall be charged the same registration taxes imposed on Class (A) motor vehicles by § 55-4-111.

55-1-103. "Autocycle," "motor bicycle" "motorcycle," and "motor vehicle" defined. --

(1) "Autocycle" means an enclosed motorcycle that is equipped with safety belts, rollbar, windshield, wipers, steering wheel, and equipment otherwise required on a motorcycle, and which has not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the roadway at any one (1) time;

(2) "Motor bicycle" means a motorized bicycle as defined in § 55-8-101;

(3) "Motor vehicle" means every vehicle that is self-propelled, excluding motorized bicycles and every vehicle that is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires. "Motor vehicle" means any low speed vehicle as defined in this section. "Motor vehicle" means any mobile home or house trailer as defined in § 55-1-105;

(4) "Motorcycle" means every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the ground, including a vehicle that is fully enclosed, has three (3) wheels in contact with the ground, weighs less than one thousand five hundred pounds (1,500 lbs.), and has the capacity to maintain posted highway speed limits, excluding a tractor or motorized bicycle; and

(5) "Vehicle" and "freight motor vehicle" means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.

[Acts 1951, ch. 70, § 2 (Williams, § 5538.102); Acts 1963, ch. 143, § 1; 1979, ch. 247, § 1; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), § 59-103; Acts 1981, ch. 448, § 1; 1985, ch. 283, § 1; 1986, ch. 804, § 1; 2000, ch. 606, § 2; 2002, ch. 747, § 1.]

Hopefully, the information was helpful to all whom are interested. If any further clarification and/or discussion are needed, I would be glad to assist you in any way that I can. Please feel free to post your questions and/or comments.

Dyersburg State Gazette

Last edited:

sumdawgtwigg

Aug 9, 2008
SW VA
Ok, I'm really new to the whole motorized bike thing (actually about to build my first) and I live in TN. Do i have to a Class M do ride one if it's 50cc?

Jobarwo

Mar 30, 2009
Idaho
I notice that it says: "a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc)"

What's a "cylinder capacity"? I know what they think they meant, but it doesn't really mean that, now does it?

buttafinguz

Mar 7, 2012
nashville
So can is a bike street legal or not? Maybe I'm wrong, but it look like I read I couldn't ride the bike anywhere but my back yard.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
buttafinguz

as long as your motor is under 50cc and uses a centrifical clutch and can not go over 30mph it is LEGAL to ride in tn

and the helmet law is for motorcycles here in tennessee
being a motorized bicycle is seen as more of a motorcycle then bicycle you may want to wear one to avoid being pulled over for not wearing one