Reasons behind motorized biking

GoldenMotor.com

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
'i have been thinking for the last couple weeks what it was that got me hooked on these motorized bicycles.....and I guess for me it's a combination of things: cheap way to get around on short trips, the thing makes me feel like a kid again, my own way of making a statement to the fuel companies that I'm not gonna take it anymore, and I guess maybe some kinda inner need to just have a good time.

But I'm sure there's tons of reasons other people have for building a motorized bicycle. For many, I'm sure it's likely their first real means of motorized transportation.....and I can only begin to imagine the many other philosophies behind getting on board. So, I'm asking....what was your reason(s)?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Heart surgery and steep hills. I've always enjoyed bicycle riding because you aren't enclosed like you are in a car. Of course I do like convertible cars. The reason I enjoy bicycle riding so much is the lower speed. It's the best way to go sight seeing. Bike allows you to see things longer because you're going slower.

I do a lot of peddling but when I come to the hills now my engine gets me right up them. Now I no longer have to limit myself to short trips. If I get tired my engine can do the work for me. The other day as I was going downhill, I saw a heavy set man coming uphill on a mountain bike. I could tell he was really struggling to get up the hill. As I passed by him, he was looking at my bike. I could tell by the look on his face he was thinking: "that's what I need".

So the conclude the reason I got into motorized bicycling is to not be limited by a disability. The way I look at it. To continue something I love doing my mind had to take over for what my body could no longer do.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I just wanted a couple of things:
Cheap transportation, something that had a greater range than electric & that I could fuel up instantly rather than waiting on a recharge; something that was easy for me to maintain (I am more comfortable working on two-strokers, I know them pretty well); and something I could pedal home if the motor conked - instead of having to call for a tow.
But also, being a typical tools-and-workbench type guy, I wanted something to build myself to suit my taste. I don't bother denying that I possess a bit of vanity, and I wouldn't feel very inclined to ride an ugly bike, so I made one that suits my taste and turns heads. Thus adding to the overall enjoyment.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Bicycles+engines=what's not to like?

Plus I like the fact that they require a bit of tinkering and are easy to modify.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I just wanted something that NOBODY in my area had that would turn heads ,funny how building 1 mb turned into an addiction ,Its like building a street rod , its uniqely yours only on 2 wheels, still love a motorcycle but every one can have one of those .

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Every one of us as a kid dreamed about puting a engine on our bike; Now we're actually doing it, & it's more fun that we ever thought it could be!! (^)
Although this may be very true, or has been in my case many years ago. I started out by my son wanting something to ride to work other then his peddle bike (bad knee). Being without a DL for 14 years, I did some searching and found that the HT was the most economical form or transportation out there. For me...I built one so we could spend some quality time together, building and riding them with him. Which it was. Now that he moved back to GA, I spend very little time riding by myself.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Every one of us as a kid dreamed about puting a engine on our bike; Now we're actually doing it, & it's more fun that we ever thought it could be!! (^)
Yep, and now we're older and wiser, more experienced and hopefully have more $ to do it right.

I need something to wrench on. Hot rods are expensive and building them is a physical challenge. Bikes are cheap, easy to build and loads of fun to ride. It's a hobby that keeps me out of my wife's hair and gives me great satisfaction.

Tom

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
YUP!
Looking at the ads in my Dads Popular Science magazines when I was a kid back in the 70's, I always drooled over the Bumblebee friction motor, not to mention the Carl Heald mini bike kits.
Yeah, my dream goes back a few years, now my dream came true.

Ironically, I wanted a moped, but it did not fit my budget, then I saw a HT equipped bike, and that was it.
I think in a city core of 70,000 there may be about 10 people that own a HT equipped bike. I've spotted about 3-4 of them so far and talked to two of them.
I just got mine built and only have about 45 minutes road time between tweaks and bad weather, cars slow down, heads turn, I get the feeling people are staring at me.