Do I need another wheel for my disc brake?

GoldenMotor.com

SD moto man

Aug 27, 2011
San Diego
I am a little confused about what I just got myself into...

I am building a Felt Twin with Monarch forks and the disc brake kit from Venice. Norm said I should be good to go with the hub he sent me for my 12 gauge spokes, all I need to do is have a bike shop switch out my hubs for around $40-60 bucks. So I called a local shop today, and I got a different story. They said it's going to be very expensive and probably would be better off just buying a whole new wheel with a disc mount hub for $150+. Another concern I have is why is axle in the hub I received like half the size of my Twin's front axle? It seems like it wouldn't be able to take much weight at all.

Comparing the two hubs, the one that I got for my disc brake is much smaller, so I think I will need new spokes wouldn't I, otherwise they wouldn't be long enough.

Can someone please inform me of my options? I really don't want to buy a whole new wheel just for the damn hub, but I already put in a $100 for the brake kit. I probably would have just gone with a drum/wheel combo from pirate if I knew I would need a new wheel.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have you contacted Norm, Venice Motor Bikes, for information? He provided the hub, maybe he can offer a suggestion too.

Tom

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yup.

Norm is very competent, and helpful.
If you got the part from him, better to ask him than introduce confusion, especially from a roundtable query! :)

have a try at lacing it up yourself...
no damage will be done, and at least you could save yourself the labor fee for dis-assembly.

there's even youtube vids on lacing wheels.

Best
rc

SD moto man

Aug 27, 2011
San Diego
Thanks for the input. I tried calling yesterday but no answer, so I posted this to see if I could get a faster response. I'll look into lacing it myself on you tube, that would be nice to save a little on labor.

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Go on ,try it!...It'll give You a feeling unexplained...Zen and the art of wheel building.....I did the swap on a Schwinn Legacy beach cruiser,used the stock 36 hole rim and a fixed/freewheel track hub from all-city....At first I went to the LBS,picked up spokes/nips $1.00 ea. The Person measured the rim and picked the spokes....Got home and started lacing....got it all laced and tight(read..ran out of threads) And grabed the hub and it wiggled back and forth!....Disassemble, then relaced with the stock spokes!...Back to the LBS for a refund...36 bucks and tax and they asked what was wrong and I told them I used the spokes from the Schwinn(that was the first question that was asked,of same person when buying the hub!) he said it would'nt work....thats when I showed Him the finished wheel!...and left.(p)..Tigmaster....