Just ordered new drum brake

GoldenMotor.com

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Yesterday I ordered a 26" SS sturmey archer aluminum drum brake from pirates. I can hardly wait till it get's here! I got tired of my caliper brakes just not working right, I'm so anxious to get it in! I know quite a few people of you guys have them, how do you like them and how do they compare to disc brakes?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I bought a Sturmey Archer X-FDD Dynohub I'll be having laced onto a 24" x 3" rim. I'm hoping that what I was told about by going to a 4-cross lacing I wouldn't need to get new spokes is true.

Guess I'll be letting you know here soon, right after the first of the month.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have front drum brake from a Worksman trike. It's better than a caliper brake but not as strong as a disk brake. I like the retro look.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Exactly! My caliper brakes flex, rock and wobble alot! They are adjusted and tightened as close as possible with the pads almost rubbing the rims and still they just don't want to stop me, even from slower speeds like 20-23MPH they just slide. I even tried putting different pads on them and cleaned off the rim but still no luck. So that got me deciding on want I want to upgrade to. I really wanted disc brakes but for my setup I would need new forks, rim, disc and calipers costing me a fortune of money, so I looked around and the best deal I could find was at pirates. They just shipped it today so hopefully it will get here I'm guessing sometime thursday. Can't wait! LOL The more I talk about brakes the more I hate my signature. laff

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Maybe it's kar...er..bikema! :p

I have 4 brakes on my bike. My 70mm Sturmey drums weren't enough for me, so I installed V-brakes and cable doublers as well :D

I've still never owned a bicycle with disc brakes. Maybe one day, but I'd rather run a pair of Sturmey 90mm or Worksman C6, honestly!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I don't want to sound like I'm hating on v-brakes and caliper brakes. Installing a bmx caliper front brake is easy, inexpensive and will stop you much faster than no front brake at all. I do so love my drum and disk brakes though.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Just got in today!! I'm blown away by the quality of this thing, looks very well machined. I'll try to get it on sometime this week. (^)

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
I got it setup today and I can say is, WOW!! I barley touch the brake handle and I get the same stopping power that I got out of the caliper brakes with a death grip on it. Well worth the money and it looks awesome!

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
I know! I'm loving it, it brakes so smooth it dosn't feel like my bike anymore cause it brakes without jerking me back and forth. I love how I pull the brake and it just slows down without even trying or acting like it wants to throw me off.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
sorry, never got back to you...

looks like it's stopping well now, but like aleman said, just keep riding with it. you can "drag" the brake when cruising along straights to help the shoes seat in, but it won't really matter.

i've got an old atom drum i can do "stoppies" with, but i've never had the brake grab so hard it's tried to flip me over.

but i have washed out in the rain with it...:) don't jam it on when you're going through a wet corner.