Firmstrong urban deluxe stretch..

GoldenMotor.com

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Ok got my first build on a 3G Isla Vista done but not fired up. Gunna change the sprocket and front engine mount before firering her up - waiting on parts. I have another Isla Vista and motor here and ordered some parts already upgrading :) Imagine that !

BUT, my third build ( Already have motor) 66CC Stinger, I really really really want to put on a Chrome Firmstrong Urban Deluxe Stretch. I want to buy the chrome bike and chrome everything else as accessories. ( Ok I am addicted so what :)

I have read every thread about the bike and some of the builds already in preparation of this build starting in about a month. I would like to start a discussion now if possible taking advice on mounts, motors, work arounds, pit falls, what to expect ect. I have a working knowledge after reading those threads but still would like advice and disucssion.

So anyone who would like to jump in and help me I would surely appreciate it. Recommendations from sponsers/or others on what to buy to mount engine or other cool parts to make it clean and easy please do tell...As I build bike I will post here.

One thing already I noticed most people using this bike set the engine forward to mount. I want to mount engine on seat post to keep the chain as short as possible. I want it to be a functional bike and also look cool which I think it will no matter what anyway...

Im gunna be in this forum awhile cause my 4th build (2 months out maybe) I am planning on using the firmstrong rebel stretch cruiser to immulate ultimately the World War two style motor cycles.

Thanks and please offer any idea or experience you have it will be greatly appreciated and/but for now I wan tto focus on the Deluxe Chrome Cruiser.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
112 views and no responses again LOL..C'mon folks step in here and help me build this thing - be a part of it - have some fun - call me a fughead anything plz.... Nothing I would like better to take ideas from others and put it on the bike....

hum de dum....

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
If this is the Bicycle your adding a motor to.3gbikes, I checked it out. I would guess the reason you have not gotten a response is no one is formilar with it. I know I'm not. From the first look, I would guess the only that will fit into the frame is a china girl. And that of the smaller size china girl. But without comparison measurements, it is only a guess. [/font]

But I do know what your going through, in the point of no response. I got the same thing going on over welding beads I'd like to get conformation of my thoughts on. Best Frame Style For A 212 Predator? Only I got fifteen to twenty around me addressing everything but. And the point of frame structure is the basis of what this topic is about.
LoL, Are we having fun yet?
[/font][/b]

• ® © † Respectfully,.™,
• Aka;
.shft.
[/font][/b]

Last edited by a moderator:

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Ok got my first build on a 3G Isla Vista done but not fired up. Gunna change the sprocket and front engine mount before firering her up - waiting on parts. I have another Isla Vista and motor here and ordered some parts already upgrading :) Imagine that !

BUT, my third build ( Already have motor) 66CC Stinger, I really really really want to put on a Chrome Firmstrong Urban Deluxe Stretch. I want to buy the chrome bike and chrome everything else as accessories. ( Ok I am addicted so what :)

I have read every thread about the bike and some of the builds already in preparation of this build starting in about a month. I would like to start a discussion now if possible taking advice on mounts, motors, work arounds, pit falls, what to expect ect. I have a working knowledge after reading those threads but still would like advice and disucssion.

So anyone who would like to jump in and help me I would surely appreciate it. Recommendations from sponsers/or others on what to buy to mount engine or other cool parts to make it clean and easy please do tell...As I build bike I will post here.

One thing already I noticed most people using this bike set the engine forward to mount. I want to mount engine on seat post to keep the chain as short as possible. I want it to be a functional bike and also look cool which I think it will no matter what anyway...

Im gunna be in this forum awhile cause my 4th build (2 months out maybe) I am planning on using the firmstrong rebel stretch cruiser to immulate ultimately the World War two style motor cycles.

Thanks and please offer any idea or experience you have it will be greatly appreciated and/but for now I wan tto focus on the Deluxe Chrome Cruiser.
Some pics or a link to the frame would help.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
No I already did a build on the 3G thats in the picture thread here but thats sold already and have a second one to do also and it is a standard beach cruiser.http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37780

The bike I want to build soon is this bad boy below:) Since I am going start in in a few weeks or more and my mind is an empty slate regarding the things I could do with it I thought it may be cool if others chimed in with there ideas or thoughts. Technical stuff cool but srtsy creative ideas even better....

SO yea I was hoping people would get involved and be a part of it...this is pure fun for me...

Attachments

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
I'm actually attempting a build on a similar if not identical frame, though I ordered the frame from Bicycle Designer. Here are the issues I've seen so far, and they actually may talk me into buying a different frame...

1) Mounting the motor against the seat post puts it in the way of the bicycle drive system. There is not enough room to mount it OVER the bicycle drive chain at this point, which is probably why most people mount it further forward, over the bottom bracket, where there is more room. It also looks more "balanced" with the motor mounted forward.

2) The seat stay and chain stay on this frame design interfere with the chain path for the motor chain. With a standard sized sprocket it's pretty much impossible to run the chain directly from the motor to the wheel and you will have to find a way to redirect it under the seat stay. Since this part of the chain is under load, you'll have to use something beefier than the "idler" pully that comes in the kid. The chain stay also interferes, but the idler pully is fine for the lower portion of the chain since it's not under load.

I've seen many examples on this forum where they've used a smaller gear on the wheel to solve the seat stay issue, I've also seen examples where members have added chain guide to route the chain under the seat stay. I'd be interested in hearing how well these work.

I have the additional problem of having decided to use Electra Fatti-O tires, which are 3" wide so the motor and chain need to be offset slightly. I also have a 48 tooth rear sprocket.

Frankly, I am darn close to scrapping the idea of using this frame and ordering a different one.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Wow thanks for the info. I have seen the problem of the stay solved here and it looked like a good idea:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=32012&page=2

Yea I think I am settled on the idea to buy that chooper mounting kit that centers the motor. Your situation reinforces that idea.

I am torn between going with the Firmstrong Rebel Chopper and this strech cruiser at the time being but have time to decide. Please keep me informed as to the progress I would hat eot see you abandon this project.

Look forward to seeing pictures of a completed bike :)

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of when I mentioned it. I almost think I'd try to find someone to weld a plate in for mounts though and then order a splined idler sprocket or two to guide the chains. I don't know anyone who can weld however so I'm not sure on that one. If I do find someone to weld I will just weld motor mounts at the same time.

I have three other motorbikes and this is my "spring project" so I'm not in a huge hurry to finish it. The final product will probably be dark blue. I'm thinking of dabbling in fiberglass to make a tank, but again, if I find a welder, I may have them make a tank too while I am at it.

Attached is how the project currently sits.

Attachments

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Oh my great minds think alike :) I wanted to make a gas tank that fit inside the area between the top tube and cross tube too ...

I was thinking the pirate sprocket tensioners would do the job better too.

LOL - hurry up so I can copy you ;]~

Actually that bike looks more like the Firmstrong Rebel Chopper model rather then the Urban Deluxe strech. Or mabey some cross between them kinda...

Last edited:

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
It is an awesome looking bike no doubt! I hope you go through the hassles to get it done. It looks great already :)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh, the silver bike at the beach sure is a pretty picture, and a nice frame!

There would be a lot of good qualities to the ride, if the rider's seat was amidships!

Scoot the seatpost back to reain a little bit of structural, and mount the engine to it.
Spring the rear of the seat, harley dresser style, there, with a hinge farther forward on the top frame tube.

Who cares where the pedal chain runs??? lol
run it with two or three idlers to get it where u need it to be.
It's the motor drive chain that benefits from a short, direct run! :)

Probably the worst thing you can do for handling is install a lay back seatpost.
Puts U right over the axle, so U feel EVERY little bump in the tarmac, AND...
Takes weight OFF the front wheel, which is kinda, a little, important for STEERING!

Those are really nice frames.
There's a lot of room there to do some great things.
IMO u might avoid trying to build them like the short-coupled bicycles the rest of us have.

just my 2 cents... :)
Best
rc

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
What I would LOVE to do is move the seat post back about 3" and move the crank forward about 4" or so (or weld a new bottom bracket on). Then I'd use a straight seat post as low as it goes. I'd also love to weld together an oil box to go in the rear area between the fender and the seat post that could double as a tool box and a place to mount the chain guids. And, while I am busy dreaming here, I'd weld a gas tank together.

But I can't weld and I don't know anyone who can. I may try to find someone who can do some of these things for me, but as I live in a small town I'm not too confident I will succeed.

When I ordered the frame I had no idea the crank was so close to the seat. I believe this bike frame was made with banana seats in mind (the site seems to caiter to the "gangsta" style lowrider crowd). I refuse to use a banana seat.

I'm still exploring options, I guess.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Right on AslansMonkey! I am glad you are posting here I am more interested in your project then mine :)

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Well, not sure I'd hold my breath on my build. I got the crank parts in a couple days back and put them on. I had to go with a 4.5 inch crank because of how close the bottom bracket shell is to the seat position.

Well I took it for a ride around the block today and made the following observations...

1) It's hard to pedal. This is due to the short crank and the weight of the thing. I assembled it dry (no grease) though because it's just a test build so that may ease up a little in the final.

2) It's uncomfortable to pedal because my knees still come up too far. I'm 6'2", which doesn't help any. But it was hard to even find a comfortable coasting position, which is a greater concern for motorized riding.

3) It doesn't feel very stable. This, no doubt is due to the seat being so far back, as has been pointed out. But there's no way I can move the seat forward without also moving the crank forward.

I get the impression that this frame was made either for very short people, or people who install banana seats and then move it mainly by pushing it with their feet on the ground.

In short, I'm seriously thinking it's unsuitable for a build without major modifications that I'm simply not equipped to do. Remember, the frame I have differs from the Firmstrong frame mainly in the location of the bottom bracket shell, which is in a bad location on my frame.

I've not totally given up hope on it yet, but right now I am leaning towards just getting a different frame. Probably this one.

Don't stop on your project, Fugit, right now I think you have a better chance at a good stretch build than I do.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
yea right on I am gunna plug forward. I saw the pedals on yours and thought that is gunna be a pain, like you mention. The frame you are looking at are banna seated too look at that picture...Hope the pedal location makes the difference but are you sure the stability is there too? Also the frame you have-is there a larger frame available? I alomst ended up with a 24" frame the other day glad I measured it because it looked like a 26.

Im almost wrapped up on bike two then onto the streach or rebel will keep ya posted :)

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Please do. The Rebel is one of my possible alternates so I'd be very keen to hear your impressions on it.