What chain for a 44 tooth sprocket ?

GoldenMotor.com

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
For more tire clearance there is the KMC 415 Industrial chain.
You'll have about 3/32" more clearance from this narrow roller chain. It isn't as tough as the 415h, but should be strong enough for our little engines.
Pirate Cycles carries them.

NINETOE

Mar 12, 2015
MN
So I got the kit and now realize I need a jack shaft as the briggs Im using wont center and line up the chain , clutch and sprocket . Im having a hard time finding jack shaft sprockets that will work with a 415 chain ? Any ideas ?

Also do I need the same toothed sprocket on each side of the jack shaft ? Was thinking a ten tooth ? Any help appreciated..

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Run #41 chain and you can get sprockets for it. Its the same pitch,it is heavier and will work on your sprockets..................Curt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Run #41 chain and you can get sprockets for it. Its the same pitch,it is heavier and will work on your sprockets..................Curt
Ditto: #41 will serve you well and fits most any sprocket. The Chinese equivalents won't deliver the same performance. Especially the kit supplied 415 chain.

Tom

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
there must be some fairly substantial differences in the housing of these motors. several of you have mentioned using tsc41 chain, but it drags the gearbox like crazy in mine.

NINETOE

Mar 12, 2015
MN
Curtis , 2 door , so your saying that a 41 chain will work on my 415 clutch teeth and the kit hub sprocket teeth ?

And not being versed in gear ratio was wondering what size sprockets to put on jack shaft for top end speed ?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
there must be some fairly substantial differences in the housing of these motors. several of you have mentioned using tsc41 chain, but it drags the gearbox like crazy in mine.
Leo,
What do you mean by "gearbox"? Do you have a Chinese 2 stroke?

Tom

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
yes, i do.
sorry, suppose gearbox wasn't the best word to use, i just meant the drive sprocket's housing assembly/cover. #41 chain drags inside it on mine.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
yes, i do.
sorry, suppose gearbox wasn't the best word to use, i just meant the drive sprocket's housing assembly/cover. #41 chain drags inside it on mine.
Maybe take a look at this old thread which addresses that problem.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=465011#post465011

You might also want to make sure your chain isn't too loose. 1/2" to 3/4" of slack is recommended. Too loose and you'll have chain interference issues inside the clutch actuator cover. If you're using a spring tensioner that will make the problem worse.

Tom

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
the cover didn't have any scratches, it was rubbing behind the drive sprocket.
i have it all back together again with the 44t and original chain.
runs fine, but the hills kick it's butt (and mine).
got a 56t and chain on the way from BGF. and the exhaust from china, due the 17th or so.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Curtis , 2 door , so your saying that a 41 chain will work on my 415 clutch teeth and the kit hub sprocket teeth ?

And not being versed in gear ratio was wondering what size sprockets to put on jack shaft for top end speed ?
Yes it works fine on the kit sprockets,just a bit wider but no problem.

Not sure on the ratio,but thinking about 12 to 1...........Curt