History of the Simpson Racers

GoldenMotor.com

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi all, here is a brief history of the Simpson Racer series. I hope this might be interesting to you-all, and perhaps clear up any confusion.

Early on I wanted to do Antique Motorcycle Style, and built 2 motor-bicycles from simple bicycle frames.

Old Number 6, and then the red flattrack bike, followed by the Jhn Deere bike for a customer.

In very early 06 a friend measured antique motorcycle pictures with me in my livingroom, He translated measurements and I drew.

I shopped the project out, and eventually had a BMX bicycle factory build my Simpson Model 08 Prototype: (see bare steel bike)

Followed by:
10 Production Simpson Model 08 Racers: (see blue bike)

Next my Simpson Model 09 Prototype, which did not include some aspects I wanted: (see red bike)

Now we chop the 08 Portotype to become the Prototype of the Simpson Model 10 series. experimenting here, we have added more rake than she needed: (again bare steel, notice radical rake, this bike will live again, I have plans for her)

This time a new fabrication shop, in AZ, a professional Motorcycle frame builder.
2 production prototypes were built, and approved with minor changes needed: (see bare steel bike in factory)

Now 18 Simpson Model 10 Racers were built, containing some un-approved minor changes, including but not limited to the tank construction, and some downsizing of flat-stock.

Next step was Tim ordered 5 Model 10 v.2 frames, these have different dropouts, and do not have an S blown into them.

I appreciated Bill's input of what the fork and seat-tube angles were on bikes he measured, this was implemented at the time of the Model 10 Production prototypes, we were going to go 23-24 degrees, and went with the 22 that Bill had mentioned.
This was, however the extent of his input into my design. The 2 Simpson framesets I shipped to Bill and Jim were of the 18 production Simpson Model 10's from AZ. Which are my design, with input from Tim, and my Fab guys.

I have a guy in the Bay Area who came into the business at the time of the end of the run of the Simpson Model 08's, Tim has been much help, and has sold many more bikes of my frames than I have at this time, without his participation I do not think the Model 10 would have seen production.

The design, business, production, distribution, and ultimate fate are mine which I choose to share with Tim, as he and I have an agreement.

If you look at the four different bikes (5 pics) you will see that my drop-loop, and backbone have never really changed, even though I lowerd the bike, and made very different dropouts along the way (along with other changes).

I have new designs in mind, but am not sure what avenue to take as to whether to produce them, or just build for myself on a prototype basis.

Ride Straight;
Mike

Attachments

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Autocycler, and thanks! i have the Chassis fabbed up in shops here in the US so thay are not cheaply made.

A chassis kit is Frame, Springer, Tank, tool box, drop stand and some small parts.

This runs 1200.00

I hope this helps,

Mike

zuzu

Jul 9, 2008
Hi I really like your chassis very well made I found some pics on your web site and found this I hope you don't mind me posting this I used my own pic host to show it I have questions.

is this a basic kit your selling and dose it come with the wheels tires and rims,and peddle system.
Two things
1. can larger balloon tires be used and still have clearance .
2. If it doesn't come with the peddle setup is it easy to match up parts to it from a bicycle shop?

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi sorry to be so late answering, we were prepping for Vacation, and we are now there.

The Model 10 chassis includes an in-frame toolbox, that was not a part of the 08's pictured here.

Chassis kit does not include wheels, pedal crank, crank bearings, nor bars.

For bearings I use Cruiser bike 1-pc set.

for Pedal crank, I use 1pc Whizzer crank,

Those wheels are Worksman, and a bit pricey

That wheel and tire set are 26x2.125 baloon as it is.

if you went to wider tires you would need to adress tire clearance at the chain, and the belt.

W_Williamson

Jul 17, 2008
Hi Mike,

How much is your cheapest bike and do you ship to the UK, i really like your style :)

Cheers,
William

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi William, I'm glad you like my bikes! I recently sent one simply across the country here and the shipping bill for just a chassis was $146.00. I am a licensed Importer, but have not exported beyond sending a few 2-stroke kits to Austrailia and the like.

The frame, fork and tank WILL fit in a standard cruiser bicycle box, weighing nearly 100 lbs. The problem I had there was UPS damaged the custom-made fuel tank!

Good Greif, so the next 2 I shipped went with tank and toolbox packed seperately.

If you would liketo email me we might be able to figure out what to do?

[email protected]

Mike

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Hi Mike I love your bike. Question, what about the engine kits, if I understand correctly they are not making them any longer. Would we just have to order a complete bike and use the parts for your kit? Have fun, Dave
PS: I like the one with the most rake in the front end.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Egore, I'm glad you like my bikes!

I have, on a couple of occasions recieved what I feel to be the supreme complement, and that is when an old guy (old enuf to know what he thinks he's seeing), tells me, "you really did a nice job restoring that bike, how long did it take you?"

That will NEVER happen enough times for me to get tired of hearing it (Smile).

Yes WhizzerUSA has made the decision to not sell kits, and I encourage everyone who wants one to call Whizzer, and request as many as they would be willing to buy, so the company will get a chance to know the market.

The bike with the long rake.....Hmmmm yes! I was trying to figure out what the Model 10 should look like and had her chopped to a 26 degree rake, and 3 inches lower than the 08 model.

Well that bike has been dis-assembled, and is out in the shed awaiting a new life. AND I have determined a new life for that rusty trooper.

How about, I put a mildly warmed-up Whizzer in her, Powder coat in a Robin's egg Blue ( like a Pope Racer wifey liked), letter it in black, and give it to my wife? She likes autoclutch, so that's the way it would be.

What I have NOT decided yet, is whether to go "Racer" or "motorcycle". To me, motorcycle means front fender, full rear, toolbox , and package rack, saddlebags, and also full lites.

Both models get a license plate, and a toolbox (with the electrics in it) and a leather toolbag. I also intend to match the Wheels and Sheave, tho I may test a new black wheelset on her bike.

In a way I get the best of both worlds, my origional prototype, after 3 chop-sessions, comes back to life as a gift, and I can still ride it if I want to?

I have already bought a bike, and dismantled it, selling it off for the drivetrain, and had accquired a 99 but a local young rider wanted it badly so he's paying small payments till he can have his bike. I put the NE kit on it, no wc-1's leave my shop till upgraded.

I hope Whizzer will decide to sell kits again soon, but who knows?

Mike

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The Simpson Model 08 has to be one of the sweetest bikes around. It's funny b/c the other day I was skimming through my old motorcycle Magizines and found a cool article on a 1907 Harley Davidson Motorized bike and was amazed to hear there is a motorized bicycle museum in Oxnard, Calif.

Last edited:

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hey easy Rider, I did not know about the Museum in Oxnard, I had heard about one in Solvang, and there is a guy near here in Dixon with about 60 antique and vintage bikes.

I will try to get to see that!

Thanks!

Mike