newb questions

GoldenMotor.com

HeliHaole

Jun 21, 2010
canada
Hey all,

Just had my first ride on my first build and Im stoked. the bike still needs some tweeking.

I was hoping someone could help with a few isssues.
My rear wheel is getting shredded by the Hd Chain. I ve looked for solutions on the forum here and I mounted the rear sprocket outward and adjusted the chain tensioner as well. Ive heard that some put washers behind the sprockets, both driven and rear to get clearance. My question is how do you get a washer behind the rear sprocket and still get the coaster brake arm on? or is this just a case of ponying up and getting better thinner wheels?

Also Im a canuck does anyone know of a good on line bike parts shop in the great white north?

Thanks

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome.

A thinner tire is usually the best solution. Shimming out the sprocket, or other "cures" usually results in a chain running out of alignment, and that brings on problems of it's own.

The chain shouldn't be "shredding" the tire, it may look crappy, but it's generally harmless.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And tighten the chain. That might help. You'll want 1/2 to 3/4" slack. No more no less. Which part of the chain is hitting the tire, top or bottom?
Also you're using the stock, kit supplied chain tensioner. You want to make sure it cannot move. It can loosen and rotate into the spokes. Many have had luck with a small screw, self tapping, or a bolt and nut, about a 10/32 through the tensioner bracket and bike frame. All tensioner brackets require a slight twist to get them to align with the chain path. Do this before securing it to the frame. Good luck and by the way, that is a sweet looking ride. Be careful with that long raked fork. They can be a bit squirrly at speed. Congratulations on your first buid.
Tom

Last edited: