Currie pedal assist addon?

GoldenMotor.com

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Hello once again Brother of the Golden Shovel.

I'd say that your first arguement is like saying if you car doesn't have 800HP, it's a toy. In Canada and the U.S. if you have gears between your motor and the rear wheel you have a motorcycle.

Hub motors are politically correct. Absolutely right. I am happy, like most people, being politiacally correct. I have found that being so keeps me from trying to explain to a judge why I'm not. When I was younger I spent a lot of time and a considerable amout of money doing that.

Where do mopeds enter into this.

This is motorbicycling.com. O.K. I have 1,954 posts and you have 14. I'd have suggest that you make a pot of coffee and look them all over and let me know when I failed to grasp this point. What's you name on Endless Sphere? I'll make a pot of tea and read all of your's over there.
Step out of line and you will find out how politically correct this forum can be. The nice part is they will do it on a one to one basis with out embarassing you. Yep, I know. :)

Not politically correct kit? I am begining to find this thread is centering around your fear of hills and being politically correct. Interesting

Steve.
Right ? Gears on your electric motor can make for an ebike that will go way faster than the politically correct legal ebike speed.

My old truck will do over 100 mph but the legal top speed in the USA is under that speed.

So why did Ford make my truck go so fast ?

Maybe the day is coming when trucks and cars will only be legal if they can only go 70 mph or less ?

What do you think of that mid drive kit I showed on eBay ?

Might get you in trouble in Canada ?

Gears are ok in Florida. They don't want it to able to go over 20 mph on level ground.

Not heard of anyone getting a ticket for speeding on an ebike in Florida though.

Sick Bike parts should make an electric motor mount. The already make the rest ! :)

And mopeds, you know, no gears allowed so not to confuse the young riders with shifting and such until they learn to drive ?

I joined this forum in 2008. Can ride a trike on 2 wheels ! :)

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37461

Let's see your video ! :)

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Yep. A lot of trouble in Canada. We are generously allowed 500W and 20mph or 32km.
Here in B.C. they will enforce it too. We are big on bikes here and they are making bike lanes available as fast as they can. Since gas is close to $6.00 a gallon, more people are using them as well.

Like the site you sent. Have you delt with them at all?
Gathering parts for an electric powered velo and that is interesting. If they want a piece of me for going too fast and over the 500W limit they will have to lay on their backs and look because I plan to make it as hard as possible for them to get the information they need short of taking it back to the station and checking it.

Since your into other than hub motors why do you need two motors to get 900W as I recall the one you posted was. Are there any that work in that range with one motor that don't require you to sell the farm to buy it?

I am thinking of having Holmes Hobbies put a 1000W hub motor into a moped rim and use it for the rear wheel of the velo which will look like a Morgan 3 wheeler. Interested in what you have that would make that politically incorrect.

Like the idea of the Dewalt batteries as well. What does it cost for each used Dewalt battery pack when you buy them on average? They bid on or are they sold?

When you find enough to get a pack together do you just reassemble them as they were without the factory case and reuse the battery managment system that came with them?

Steve.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
SBP doesn't have to get into mounts for electric motors. Cyclone Taiwan has just about everything a person could want as far as mounting an electric motor goes. To a lesser extent Cyclone USA. They even sell a dual 1500w motor system. Can even get the front freewheel from them. Endless Sphere gave me the heads up on that one.
Of course any of that is completely useless here in New Brunswick if you decide to hit the road.
Here if you want to go electric the only real choice is a hub motor. It's much easier to conceal them. Otherwise there is no electric on public roadways in this backwards province. "If it looks like a bicycle it is." Simply it's much easier to conceal that you have an electric motor if it's a hub motor.
I'm glad that you have had luck with Currie motors motortriker. I personally haven't really. Certainly has never been quiet either. I needed to replace the bearings and brushes on my 450 watt motor after a year. And to help cut the noise. Synthetic grease plus a little synthetic 75w90 oil in the gearbox helped a lot.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Yep. A lot of trouble in Canada. We are generously allowed 500W and 20mph or 32km.
Here in B.C. they will enforce it too. We are big on bikes here and they are making bike lanes available as fast as they can. Since gas is close to $6.00 a gallon, more people are using them as well.

Like the site you sent. Have you delt with them at all?
Gathering parts for an electric powered velo and that is interesting. If they want a piece of me for going too fast and over the 500W limit they will have to lay on their backs and look because I plan to make it as hard as possible for them to get the information they need short of taking it back to the station and checking it.

Since your into other than hub motors why do you need two motors to get 900W as I recall the one you posted was. Are there any that work in that range with one motor that don't require you to sell the farm to buy it?

I am thinking of having Holmes Hobbies put a 1000W hub motor into a moped rim and use it for the rear wheel of the velo which will look like a Morgan 3 wheeler. Interested in what you have that would make that politically incorrect.

Like the idea of the Dewalt batteries as well. What does it cost for each used Dewalt battery pack when you buy them on average? They bid on or are they sold?

When you find enough to get a pack together do you just reassemble them as they were without the factory case and reuse the battery managment system that came with them?

Steve.
My motor is rated at 36v 450w.

The watt's up meter will show that the motor at times can go about 2000w.

The controller amp limit on my controller is 60 amps. 36v x 60a = 2160w

The motor is rated 36v at 450 w but can surge much higher for short times and not overheat.

So, that 450w sticker on the motor is continuous, not peak rating.

Two 48v 450w motors ? Oh my !

Just one with a 60 amp controller could surge to 60 x 48= 2880 watts ?

So yeah, leave the 450w sticker on it ! :)

Like to pay less than $30 shipped for Dewalt packs bidding on eBay.

Getting them wet is bad so ask the seller if they got wet.

I don't use the bms.

They are charged using a Hyperion charger that puts a nice balance charge on them.

They have cell log alarms on them that will alert if a cell goes lower than 2.75V.

The watt's up meter shows how much power has been used so it is like a gas gauge.

I charge them after rides.

I like batteries so the charging and such and watching the graphs on the computer is fun.

The A123 cells can deliver the surge amps too.

I know the kids are loving the new A123 20a cells but I like my battery cells in little metal cans.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
SBP doesn't have to get into mounts for electric motors. Cyclone Taiwan has just about everything a person could want as far as mounting an electric motor goes. To a lesser extent Cyclone USA. They even sell a dual 1500w motor system. Can even get the front freewheel from them. Endless Sphere gave me the heads up on that one.
Of course any of that is completely useless here in New Brunswick if you decide to hit the road.
Here if you want to go electric the only real choice is a hub motor. It's much easier to conceal them. Otherwise there is no electric on public roadways in this backwards province. "If it looks like a bicycle it is." Simply it's much easier to conceal that you have an electric motor if it's a hub motor.
I'm glad that you have had luck with Currie motors motortriker. I personally haven't really. Certainly has never been quiet either. I needed to replace the bearings and brushes on my 450 watt motor after a year. And to help cut the noise. Synthetic grease plus a little synthetic 75w90 oil in the gearbox helped a lot.
Ouch ! Sorry to hear that.

Hey sick bike parts are part of our forum and I would like to send them my money.

This company also helps our forum and sells hub kits.

http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine-kits.html

ES did not want ads like we have but the ads are all over the place in peoples sigs. And the members of ES spam other forums with ads for ebikes.ca.

ES is like a commie forum with the glorius leader Justin ! :)

Motorbicycling.com is more of a capitalist forum.

I want to support the venders that support my home ! :)

I plan on doing business with SBP and if they do not want to make motor brackets I will.

The newer Currie motors are much quieter.

What do you think would happen if I went on ES and started telling everyone the real experts at putting motors on bikes are on this forum and they need to go here then spam for bikeberry ?

It's true ! ! !

Last edited:

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Just looked up Currie and they have a an IZIP Express Special Edition and they are selling it for a cut rate price. A mere $4,900.

Yes I do realize that the Currie name is written on the mens bathroom wall in the Endless Sphere forum. The question is why.
For starters, the kit is $4,999. That's $5,000, not $4,900. Second, why would I spend $5G on an e-bike when I could get a full-on moped for that much? And a VERY nice one at that? I could get a brand new Vespa for that kind of money.

Second, the reason why that name is driven through the mud is very clear to me with the ridiculous description of the thing: "You either get it or you don't" Yeah, that's hipster BS. They're mad that they can't even figure out why they'd spend that much so what they do is tell YOU that you don't understand to make themselves feel better about making such a ridiculous purchase.

Go buy another iPad.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
For starters, the kit is $4,999. That's $5,000, not $4,900. Second, why would I spend $5G on an e-bike when I could get a full-on moped for that much? And a VERY nice one at that? I could get a brand new Vespa for that kind of money.

Second, the reason why that name is driven through the mud is very clear to me with the ridiculous description of the thing: "You either get it or you don't" Yeah, that's hipster BS. They're mad that they can't even figure out why they'd spend that much so what they do is tell YOU that you don't understand to make themselves feel better about making such a ridiculous purchase.

Go buy another iPad.
It is not a kit.

I never paid more that $120 for a Currie ebike.

All that ES bad mouthing helps keep the prices down ? :)

Dead batteries, Craigslist ?

That is why I spent the time learning how to make battery packs and build wheels for that matter ! :)

If you know how to work on bicycles and have a little electrical knowledge they are the best deal in ebikes ! :)

I would guess there are more Currie ebikes on the road in the USA than any other brand.

There is a forum for them but it gets spammed heavy duty and AVG says it is not safe.

Where are the Currie owners going to go with questions ?

I will watch this forum better and try to help more.

They are real easy to fix and parts are cheap.

Lets not send them to ES where they will have smug ebikers make fun of their bikes.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
NormO,

I heard that they were hard on ebikes there as well as ICE powered bikes. I don't think P.E.I. or Nova Scotia make provisions for them either.

Here in B.C. they are hot to have you on one. Lots of sellers and even more buyers and in Vancouver they have blocked off a lot of traffic lanes including at least one on a major bridge so bike riders will have a safe place to ride. Helps when the Mayor is a bike rider and some of the city councillers as well.

They are going to add bike lanes near us soon and they are buying up land from home owners to do it. About 5 feet from peoples front and side yards.

Any reason why they are so hard on ebikes in New Brunswick?

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Motortriker,
There is a member over on Vancouver Island who has used Cyclone motors a lot and seems to have had good luck with them. I'd like to put the motor under hood of the Velo.
Just keeps the snoops at bay.
Could run gears then since the police do know about hub motors and are looking for them but then again being an old guy with a cane can buy you a little lee way at times. Who wants to mess up grandads day.

I was going to put a gas motor on it but then I could only get away with it in some of the states when I'm visiting. With an electric motor I'm legal here and can use it when I want.

I'll have to watch Craigs list for a Currie bike since they do turn up from time to time and often at a reasonable price.
Of course the double electric motors with a lot of battery and a large controller wouldn't go wrong either. That would put the WTF into the spandex crowd as I went by at a fast pedal. :)

Steve.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Any reason why they are so hard on ebikes in New Brunswick?
Your guess is as good as mine. Some have said it's because of the oil refinery in St. John, But that wouldn't explain why they're hard on gas powered bikes as well. Some say that people were breaking every law set. They got tired of it and just banned everything. Maybe they couldn't get enough taxes out of MABs.
I guess in the end it doesn't really matter. I just keep my toys off-road and pedal when the weather permits. I stick to my van when the weather is bad.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Normo,
I think your on to the problem. They look like trouble so head em off at they pass and ban them all. Gas bikes are banned at the federal level so it is just easier to ban everything that have to work out proper laws to look after them.
Gives them more time to vote themselves another raise.

Steve.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Motortriker,
There is a member over on Vancouver Island who has used Cyclone motors a lot and seems to have had good luck with them. I'd like to put the motor under hood of the Velo.
Just keeps the snoops at bay.
Could run gears then since the police do know about hub motors and are looking for them but then again being an old guy with a cane can buy you a little lee way at times. Who wants to mess up grandads day.

I was going to put a gas motor on it but then I could only get away with it in some of the states when I'm visiting. With an electric motor I'm legal here and can use it when I want.

I'll have to watch Craigs list for a Currie bike since they do turn up from time to time and often at a reasonable price.
Of course the double electric motors with a lot of battery and a large controller wouldn't go wrong either. That would put the WTF into the spandex crowd as I went by at a fast pedal. :)

Steve.
Two motors under the hood of a Velo ? That would put the WTF into the spandex crowd for sure ! :)

I want one too ! :)

Last edited: