Currie pedal assist addon?

GoldenMotor.com

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
I just bought a used mountain bike with a Currie conversion kit on it. (This kit) I am not familiar with electrics as much as 2 strokes and have been unable to figure out if you can add a pedal assist feature to this kit.

Anyone familiar with these Currie conversion kits that can give me a yes or no as far as upgrading to the pas system?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Randy,
I'm not the expert on these though I own an ebike. What I do know is that 24V won't get you much speed or distance and are pretty weak with what's out there now.

Lead acid batteries are ok but kind of the Model T of the battery world.

I have a eZee 36 volt geared rear wheel with a 20 amp controller and a 36V 14 ampHr lithium polymer battery. Pretty much top end for the plug and play set up though you can go 48, 60V and 72V battery packs and hub motors and bigger controllers. My set up here in Canada was about $1,800. The company I bought it from is run by a young man who is a leading light for ebikes in the world. He's 30 miles away if I need help.

He's Justin at www.ebikes.ca Homepage of the revolution

Another company is www.emissionsfree.com The owner is British and has an out standing record for knowledge and product quality plus fair prices. He stands behind his product. He is based in China.

Most of all join www.endless-sphere.com. Go to the ebike discussion forum and the tech forum. Ask questions because these fellas know all there is to know about ebikes and are constantly pushing the envelope to see what else they can learn.
They will be able to tell you if you can get more out of your Currie and just how to do it.

Put Currie in the search panel on the top of the site. They do tend to be a little vocal if they feel you haven't tried to help yourself before they help you with the problem. It's good natured but they will make sure you get the point.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
IIRC that set up has the motor mounted on the left side, leaving the standard drive line unaffected.

The drive sprocket freewheels on the motor also.

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
I have searched all over the currie site and elsewhere and have yet to find them. Any chance you could give a link?

All I have been able to find is the one on Ebay. I sent a messge to Currie but never got a response.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
You may not need another controller. It all depends if your controller that you have now has the connector for the PAS Sensor or not. Crack open the top of the rack and have a look. That completely slipped my mind.

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
Already checked, no go. Been searching for someone who has done this before but most just up to a bigger volt motor which requires a new controller.

Considering buying a second currie battery and wiring them together so I get 24v with 20 amp. Assuming it can be done, (pretty sure) I need a controller that can handle the amps?!?

Wish I knew more about electronics. Been browsing the endless sphere site randomly, just haven't read enough yet.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Well shot down again. Yes you can hook up 2 batteries in parallel. Have already done it. Works well. Doesn't give double the range, but is close. Seems to give the motor a little more snap off the bottom as well. But adds around 15lbs extra. Not a real big deal in the grand scheme of things. The controllers are rated at 35 amps.
You don't really have to get another controller to go to a higher voltage motor. The stock controllers can handle up to 50 volts before they won't operate correctly. But it has to be a brushed motor.

Last edited:

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
Yea, it's all about replacing the controller just so I can get pas. I originally talked my wife into a gas engine because I said I would pedal more. Turned out I only pedaled from a stop lol.

I know I need the exercise, but it is nice just grabbing throttle and going. Pas is my only redemption now, or my toy may one day "disappear". Hate it when she forces me to sell toys lol.

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
I "Need" pedal assist for the following reasons

1. Because I only get 5 miles on electric only
2. Ebike with a throttle falls under the motor vehicle definition (self-propelled)
2b. I don't have a license to drive a motor vehicle
3. I find it a pain to balance pedaling and throttling

It would just be easier and more legal to have a pas system only. Right now I am considering just selling the bike and going back to a gas system. I am worried about ordering the wrong controller and no one has given me a suggestion for the correct controller yet.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Randy,
I'm not the expert on these though I own an ebike. What I do know is that 24V won't get you much speed or distance and are pretty weak with what's out there now.

Lead acid batteries are ok but kind of the Model T of the battery world.

I have a eZee 36 volt geared rear wheel with a 20 amp controller and a 36V 14 ampHr lithium polymer battery. Pretty much top end for the plug and play set up though you can go 48, 60V and 72V battery packs and hub motors and bigger controllers. My set up here in Canada was about $1,800. The company I bought it from is run by a young man who is a leading light for ebikes in the world. He's 30 miles away if I need help.

He's Justin at www.ebikes.ca Homepage of the revolution

Another company is www.emissionsfree.com The owner is British and has an out standing record for knowledge and product quality plus fair prices. He stands behind his product. He is based in China.

Most of all join www.endless-sphere.com. Go to the ebike discussion forum and the tech forum. Ask questions because these fellas know all there is to know about ebikes and are constantly pushing the envelope to see what else they can learn.
They will be able to tell you if you can get more out of your Currie and just how to do it.

Put Currie in the search panel on the top of the site. They do tend to be a little vocal if they feel you haven't tried to help yourself before they help you with the problem. It's good natured but they will make sure you get the point.

Hope this helps.

Steve.
These Currie kits and homemade packs out of laptop cells get quite the response on the ES forum.

They tend to suggest buying costly stuck in one gear politically correct hub motors.

What I find strange is how the ES groupthink spreads to other forums.

If you want a stuck in one gear hub motor that won't do hills then the ES kids can help.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38509

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthrea...ncisco-illuminating-and-some-surprises!/page2

( how many hub motors does it take to get up a hill ? )

Around here we say endless-sphere stuck in one gear ! :)

Try finding a parallel 73 cell pack like this on ES that will do 40 miles on a trike with a Currie setup.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37952

I was allowed to show the world how to make small high mileage packs on this forum without getting trashed ! :)

The Currie kits don't cost much, last a long time and you can change the gearing.

Mine is very quiet and takes off like a jack rabbit ! :)

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I see your quoting me to prove your point. Well your like the rest of the world I've seen in my 68 years on this wonderful planet.

You, for some woebegotten reason, think that I would give a flying Fork what you think or do. I built what I wanted, the way I wanted and I'm very happy with what I have as you are with what you have.

Given that the Endless Sphere forum has some of the brightest and most innovative thinkers as far as the ebike world goes I would have to question why they won't let you post your ideas and advice on the forum.
So now you feel a need to come here and ridicule those of us who are enjoying messing around with our ebikes and smother us with your supposed knowledge and sarcasm. Guess you must have gotten tired of the guys at Endless Sphere punching holes in your theories so we're next on your list.

Carry on. I'm a bit of a B.S'er my self but there are times that, I personally, like to listen to a true expert.

Steve.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Hey fellow bs'r

They had a lot of good stuff on that forum and a lot of it is gone.

Justin bought it out and now much of the forum seems to want to help him sell costly stuck in one gear hub motors to newbees not only on that forum but on others too.

And the way the members go on other forums and claim ES is where the experts are and they need to go there ?

And to send someone there with a Currie question ? ? ?

You know that is an anti Currie forum ? Right ? ? ?

Hey and how many hub motors does it take to get up a hill ?

Did you read where a Bike forum member sent a member to the expert ES forum to get answers on how to get up a hill ? :)

This is motorbicycling.com , home of the shift kit ?

Not a big problem getting up hills for our members ! :)

I saw what happened to the Currie bike thread and the homemade battery pack thread on that forum and feel my work would get trashed on that forum too.

I have put lots of miles on Currie ebikes and know they are not the junk a lot of ES members claim.

I have three different hub motors sitting in a corner. Junk on the way to the scrap yard.

Have yet to kill a Currie motor ! :)

I see your quoting me to prove your point. Well your like the rest of the world I've seen in my 68 years on this wonderful planet.

You, for some woebegotten reason, think that I would give a flying Fork what you think or do. I built what I wanted, the way I wanted and I'm very happy with what I have as you are with what you have.

Given that the Endless Sphere forum has some of the brightest and most innovative thinkers as far as the ebike world goes I would have to question why they won't let you post your ideas and advice on the forum.
So now you feel a need to come here and ridicule those of us who are enjoying messing around with our ebikes and smother us with your supposed knowledge and sarcasm. Guess you must have gotten tired of the guys at Endless Sphere punching holes in your theories so we're next on your list.

Carry on. I'm a bit of a B.S'er my self but there are times that, I personally, like to listen to a true expert.

Steve.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Well Brother B.S.

Just don't do well with being quoted to be make it look like I'm a fool to prove someones point.

You don't like hub motors and like to see what can be made to work and you have suceeded in making a Currie system work where most people can't. My hat is off to you.
From what I have read about Currie you should be working for them as an engineer. They need it.

Just looked up Currie and they have a an IZIP Express Special Edition and they are selling it for a cut rate price. A mere $4,900.

Yes I do realize that the Currie name is written on the mens bathroom wall in the Endless Sphere forum. The question is why.
When I look at our Craigs List bikes for sale, most of the electric bikes are IZIP or some cheap off shore garbage. I did call one chap who was selling an IZIP that he had bought from Canadian Tire a large company here in Canada and I told him that I had just bought one and to cut to the quick here, after spending ten minutes of him telling me about the problems he had with the bike and trying to get it repairs done to it and the iffy quality of the bike he told me to take it back and get my money back.
He did mention that he felt that saving just one person from the IZIP/Currie demon would save him a place in Heaven no matter what he did in life.

The fact that you live in Florida and seem to have a deathly fear of not being able to ride up hills is to me interesting. I live two blocks from the Pacific ocean here in British Columbia and a couple of blocks away from hills that would rival the best San Francisco has to offer if not as long as theirs and the worst I stay away from. A lot of people who live there are using geared hub motors and get up and down the hills quite well.

You are worried about your good work being trashed on Endless Sphere. Does this mean that you have never tried posting your work on there to see how it is accepted? Maybe you should try if you haven't and stop trying to turn jumping to conclusions into a Olympic gold medal sport.

As for Justin at ebikes.ca, all I can say is having dealt with him on many occasions since he's 30 miles away, is that I have always found him to be a gentleman and his staff knowledgable and while in the business of selling ebike parts, not afraid to dicuss products other than his own.

Steve.

Last edited:

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
They are stuck in one gear. Gear it for steep hills and top speed goes away.

The are OK for trikes that don't want to go fast but for a steep hill climbing, fast ebike you need a geared setup unless you want 2 hub motors and lots of batteries.

Most hub motors sold today are about being politically correct ebike toys.

Moped like stuff for kids.

This is motorbicycling.com , not all that politically correct.

Not politically correct kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-900W-2-...114?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebbf852ba

Well Brother B.S.

Just don't do well with being quoted to be make it look like I'm a fool to prove someones point.

You don't like hub motors and like to see what can be made to work and you have suceeded in making a Currie system work where most people can't. My hat is off to you.
From what I have read about Currie you should be working for them as an engineer. They need it.

Just looked up Currie and they have a an IZIP Express Special Edition and they are selling it for a cut rate price. A mere $4,900.

Yes I do realize that the Currie name is written on the mens bathroom wall in the Endless Sphere forum. The question is why.
When I look at our Craigs List bikes for sale, most of the electric bikes are IZIP or some cheap off shore garbage. I did call one chap who was selling an IZIP that he had bought from Canadian Tire a large company here in Canada and I told him that I had just bought one and to cut to the quick here, after spending ten minutes of him telling me about the problems he had with the bike and trying to get it repairs done to it and the iffy quality of the bike he told me to take it back and get my money back.
He did mention that he felt that saving just one person from the IZIP/Currie demon would save him a place in Heaven no matter what he did in life.

The fact that you live in Florida and seem to have a deathly fear of not being able to ride up hills is to me interesting. I live two blocks from the Pacific ocean here in British Columbia and a couple of blocks away from hills that would rival the best San Francisco has to offer if not as long as theirs and the worst I stay away from. A lot of people who live there are using geared hub motors and get up and down the hills quite well.

You are worried about your good work being trashed on Endless Sphere. Does this mean that you have never tried posting your work on there to see how it is accepted? Maybe you should try if you haven't and stop trying to turn jumping to conclusions into a Olympic gold medal sport.

As for Justin at ebikes.ca, all I can say is having dealt with him on many occasions since he's 30 miles away, is that I have always found him to be a gentleman and his staff knowledgable and while in the business of selling ebike parts, not afraid to dicuss products other than his own.

Steve.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello once again Brother of the Golden Shovel.

I'd say that your first arguement is like saying if you car doesn't have 800HP, it's a toy. In Canada and the U.S. if you have gears between your motor and the rear wheel you have a motorcycle.

Hub motors are politically correct. Absolutely right. I am happy, like most people, being politiacally correct. I have found that being so keeps me from trying to explain to a judge why I'm not. When I was younger I spent a lot of time and a considerable amout of money doing that.

Where do mopeds enter into this.

This is motorbicycling.com. O.K. I have 1,954 posts and you have 14. I'd have suggest that you make a pot of coffee and look them all over and let me know when I failed to grasp this point. What's you name on Endless Sphere? I'll make a pot of tea and read all of your's over there.
Step out of line and you will find out how politically correct this forum can be. The nice part is they will do it on a one to one basis with out embarassing you. Yep, I know. :)

Not politically correct kit? I am begining to find this thread is centering around your fear of hills and being politically correct. Interesting

Steve.