Hi there!

GoldenMotor.com

Kathy

Sep 29, 2013
Greece
I'm so glad I found this forum! I'm waiting for my kit to arrive in a couple of days and I'd like to try and install it myself, so there's a loooot of reading for me to do!
I drive a Cannondale bicycle, which is around 16 years old and keeps on going! :)
I decided to go for a bicycle engine kit cause it's a very economical solution for me and I need it for a 5km everyday uphill ride. (I won't be needing the engine for the 5km downhill :p )
It's nice to be here!
Kathy.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome and like was said, there is a lot of experience to draw from here.
The Google Custom Search feature will provide answers to almost any question you might have but there will always be someone here to offer one-on-one help too.
Good luck and keep us informed on your project.

Tom

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hi kathy and welcome to our world of motorized bicycles. nice thing is you an pedal when you like or use the motor. they are great fun, we look forward to hearing about your motorized bicycle

Kathy

Sep 29, 2013
Greece
Thanx a lot you guys! As a former member of car clubs, I know how cool is sharing experience, ideas and knowledge with people who have the same passion.

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
I read uphill....
Has anyone suggested a shift kit for her?
I know it's more of an advanced deal, but it's the best way to go for hills on the China Girls.

Oh, and welcome. I'm sorta still new here myself.

Kathy

Sep 29, 2013
Greece
Let's take it one step at a time, right now I'm at step no1; installing rear sprocket. XD
(the package arrived a few hours ago and I'm taking it nice and slow -really slow) :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
yes take your time kathy. first motorized bicycle i built i mounted the motor backwards. no kidding. i kept looking at it trying to figure out what was wrong, all i could do is sit on the floor and laugh after i realized what i did. needless to say i am not real mechanical however took me a few days and when done and it started the first time i was all smiles, great sense of accomplishment
dnut

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Welcome Kathy and best wishes form Texas on your first build, one good thing about living where you do (Greece) is that you should not have trouble with bearing failures.... Sorry but I seen a moment for some humor and just couldn't help myself...LOL!

main thing is yes, take your time, make sure everything is straight, in alignment and all fasteners are nice and snug tight, if you have access to thread locker I suggest you use a dab on all the mounting hardware bolts and studs.

I'm gonna say that most all of us fellas here have a soft spot for an adventurous gal as yourself that is willing to tackle a motorized bike project so I have no doubt that you will have plenty of help and suggestions that will hopefully help you to end up with a solid reliable bike build, I have an aunt that is a secretary and was motorcycle mechanic for many years, she could do all the maintenance and even tare down a a motorcycle to its last nut and bolt and do a complete ground up rebuild..... I always love to see young people and women who have a good mind for mechanics and ain't afraid to jump in with both feet and get-ur-done.....

Be safe and best wishes with the build Kathy

Map
reddd

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
yes take your time kathy. first motorized bicycle i built i mounted the motor backwards. no kidding. i kept looking at it trying to figure out what was wrong, all i could do is sit on the floor and laugh after i realized what i did. needless to say i am not real mechanical however took me a few days and when done and it started the first time i was all smiles, great sense of accomplishment
dnut
Well, Paul I'd say it's a good thing you got that engine turned around or all this time you would have been UN-Riding that bicycle everywhere you tried to go..LOL

LOL! well a more proper version of something Forrest Gump said.. " Stuff Happens " sometimes you just gotta laugh and wonder what the heck was I thinking.....! Been there done that a few times, but hey... its all good and life adventure would be pretty dang boring without some mishaps..!
laff

Map
reddd

Kathy

Sep 29, 2013
Greece
As it turned out I won't be doing the assembly myself. I didn't want to drill the aluminium frame, so someone else had to fix the mounting. Also seeing that the chain requires cutting, which I don't have the means to do either, I just took everything to a motorcycle garage and told them to get it ready all together! Maybe if I had more time, I'd have given it more thinking, but anyhow, I just want it to work properly and I'll be happy as a clam! :)

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
There are front bolt on mounts available from Sick Bike Parts for larger diameter frames that do not require drilling.

A chain breaker doesn't cost much and makes shortening a chain fast and easy.

How much are they charging you for the installation?

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Hello Cathy, welcome to the forum. $65.00 to have your engine fitted does sound like a good deal. At least this way you'll be able to get out and enjoy your bike without having to worry over whether or not you installed the engine correctly or not.

Kathy

Sep 29, 2013
Greece
Personally my first thought was that 65 dollars was a lot!
What is the 3 step billing process?