Newbie with Panther Q's

GoldenMotor.com

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
Hello everyone. Love your board here; I've been prowling it for hours-on-end already, and really appreciate the wealth of know-how in this place.

Now why I joined, & why I'll likely stay: I am inches away from pulling the trigger on a 50's Panther frame, but I have a couple of questions that I'm sure any Schwinn-dummy would know, but I don't. I've yet to see or hear about a jackshaft kit on a 4-stroke Panther-framed bike. So my Question: Can you attach a jackshaft kit (say, from SBP) to a 4-stroke HS, and have room for it to fit within the stock Panther/Hornet frame (I don't want to cut/weld [damage] a 65+yr old frame, ya know). I have a master-plan to build my perfect cruiser, but I need to know if it's feasible before dropping the loot.

Any input is appreciated, and if pics are worth 1000 words, from me they would all be "Thank-you!"

:cheers: Kk

Powertool

Jul 8, 2012
Bradford,TN.
Welcome to the forum , I'm not sure about a Panther frame . I know there should be someone that can answer your question , good luck with your build , should you decide to do so ;)

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
Retrospectively, I'm thinking I probably shouldn't have posted my question here, sorry. I was shamefully hoping that this board was swarming with Schwinn-junkies that would immediately pop-in with a "nope, don't fit," or (even better), "Yeah, I got that set-up on my bike, and it's called a 'Shift-Kit'; here's some pics!"

Nice ride Powertool. The utilitarian in me admires the handiness of it all. Kk

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If the frame you speak of looks like this, I would say yes you would have plenty of room, but then again I cant be 100% on that, but it does look like plenty of room on this frame.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I guess I messed up on my first reply.

here are some pix of the 50's Panther which also look like it has enough room if this is what you have.

after you make a few posts you will be able to upload some pix so we can see exactly what you have, you might put them in the general discussion thread and you will get more hits on the questions.

Map

The frame on the bike below looks like it has less room than the rest of them, says its an early 50's Panther.

Map

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. The Panther that I speak of is the 1950's twin to the Hornet, AKA "straight bar". Like this:

I would like to build something of an ape-hanger cruiser inspired by this, only my spin is to go 4-stroke and shift gears (as well as eliminate the left side drive-chain). Thanks, Kk

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
Yeah, I just tried to post a pic of the Venice bike (no dice), but yes, I am looking at the 50's "straight-bar" types. Thanks for the advice, I'll post this up in the GD section, Kk

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yeah, I just tried to post a pic of the Venice bike (no dice), but yes, I am looking at the 50's "straight-bar" types. Thanks for the advice, I'll post this up in the GD section, Kk
maybe a couple more post and you should be good to go on posting pics, cant remember how many posts it takes but I'm thinking maybe 5.

Map

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
I hope it's 5 ...and I hope the Mods aren't ticked that I have a few of the same post to GD in que - Sorry! I figured a link to this intro would be okay seeings how it's a link to this site, but obviously it would appear the the new-guy is testing the limits. :D

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I've built a few panthers, a jackshaft set up would work. Why don't you want to weld the frame? Once you pop a motor on it it's going to ne devalued anyways unless you do a period correct motor say a whizzer . I think a HS with a jackshaft would look odd on a panther, I haven't seen one so I could be wrong.

and my stalled project

Norm from Venice would be the guy to check with on the fit, he has done a bunch of Panthers

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
I've built a few panthers, a jackshaft set up would work. Why don't you want to weld the frame? Once you pop a motor on it it's going to ne devalued anyways unless you do a period correct motor say a whizzer . I think a HS with a jackshaft would look odd on a panther, I haven't seen one so I could be wrong.

and my stalled project

Norm from Venice would be the guy to check with on the fit, he has done a bunch of Panthers
Thanks for the pics! Agreed, that the look of the HS is not aesthetically perfect, but the reliability, and availability of parts make it a good choice.

I've sent Norm an e-mail, and hopefully I'll hear back from him with the last word before I offer up a serious piece of my pie for a Panther frame.

I'm trying to avoid cutting/welding on the frame because of a general guideline: If it's older than I am, then I really just see myself as a care-taker of the estate for the next generation, and I'll do my best to pass it on in the same condition that I found it. That doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the different flavors of the individual, but if another 65 years from now the only Panther frame left in the world is mine, then I'd like for somebody to be able to restore it to former glory. Just my 2¢. Kk

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I just got an e-mail back from Norm, and he says it "should" fit, so I took that to as close an affirmative answer as I'm going to get. I now own this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271272645218

Did I pay too much? ...YES! But stay tuned in the weeks and months ahead as I transform this pile into a fancy motorized street cruiser!

Thanks for all the replies! Kk
Looking forward to seeing the bike as it comes along..... best wishes.

Map
reddd