gas leakeing out through the muffler

GoldenMotor.com

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
alright, these are that changes I have made to my bike when this started happening.

I added a boost bottle/nitrous kit through the manifold, and I replaced the carburetor with a new one.

I then leave my bike in the garage for 2 days to find my entire full gas tank pored out beneath my bike. So I go ahead and replace the fuel line and check the carb for leaks and did not find one. I then assume the problem was solved

I was wrong.

After going for a ride today and coming back. I went ahead and closed the fuel line just in case there was a there was another leak, I went back about an hour later to find the fuel from inside the carb in a puddle directly under the muffler.

The engine is not getting flooded and the process is very slow,its almost as if the fuel is passing through the cylinder in vapor form and then condensing in the muff

The the bike is actually riding smoother than ever but fuel leakage is quite an annoying problem. Whats wrong here and how do I solve it?

edit: I currently have the bike outside chained to a pole. In the garage is would be at a slight angle on the kick stand, outside its fully upright and there is no fuel leaking out. although I do have the valve closed.

Last edited:

Bobaganoosh

Sep 26, 2010
seagraves texas
at what angle does your bike rest.. I've had the same problem if I leave my bike leaning against a wall instead of the kickstand. Also throwing it in the back of buddies trucks and stuff, same problem. Also, check the bottom of your gas tank, pinholes in the poor brasing around boltholes in the tank could be letting fuel traven down cables frame etc. I'm just saying in cars and bikes i've found the leaks a mile away from where i thought they were..crt.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
with the problem normal kickstand angle a little to the left, although chained to an upright postilion it dose not appear to be leaking, although may I have or may not have burnt the fuel out of the carb before I turned off the fuel valve.

I checked out the tank, when the fuel valve is shut off no more than the amount of gas than that would be in the carb leaked out.

it was fine before I replaced the carb and added the boost

Last edited:

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Maybe the float in your carb is assembled wrong, or the seal on the needle valve is bad. Open the carb up and see if you can stop fuel flow by pushing the float up.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
When I got the carb in I found things odd about it, for one.
You know the little screw thing that goes on top of the cap on the carb where the cable attaches well on the new carb this had no hole in it that goes all the way through, it had enough to rest the end of the cable case on it but the screw part is a solid and had no place to run the cable through. I could not figure out what to do with that so I put the one from the old one on, they are the same length

also the spring is made of a different material and dose not seem to be quite as sproingy.

Also a change I made before I put the bike outside and then forgot I did it was, I tried to tighten the top screw where the throttle cable rests down as low as I could get it and I loosened the idle screw

Last edited:

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
I took the bike off the pole and set it on my driveway with some newspaper underneath and opened up the fuel line, it dose not seen to be leaking, so it would seem when I adjusted the idle screw this caused it to stop leaking fuel??

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Idle screw has really 0 chance of sealing or causing a fuel leak.

Basicly it comes down to this: You have a needle valve attached to the float in your carb. If fuel can exit one of the holes/vents/whatever in your carb before it raises the float and that needle to shut the valve, Or the float is bad/poorly adjusted or the needle does not seal, Then you need will get a constant flow into the float bowl and out the first vent.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
I'll go ahead and take apart the carb and figure it out in a few days but in the mean time, if I where to shut off the valve on both the gas tank and the carb (I actually forgot about the carbs shutoff valve), this would be a temporary solution to insure no leakage?