Runnin too good... then the Grenade went off!

GoldenMotor.com

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Somehow I knew it, my favorite bike was running way too smooth, the manifold re-mod, a 45deg copper-pipe added for clearance,(still in the prototype stage, no leaks though), some ignition issues, the usual stuff... Cruising down the hill after a short warm-up, stalled out, does that sometimes, figured I'd pop it at the bottom of the hill. That's when the bomb I built went off. I did notice a unusual noise as it shut down, kinda of a squeak(read that "seize"), as I let the clutch out at the bottom of the hill, I didn't realize my brakes were THAT good, Oh!! I didn't have them on!! Yup locked up but didn't detonate, upon dis-assembly, I thinking it's the 6202 main bearings, or maybe the lower rod bearing, not that far yet. Just happen to have a new ZB80, BUT the rear mount is not the same size, not like the PK80. Why do I keep trying to make an inferior product perform reguardless... Maybe it's my mechanical pride.(come on 4-strokers, tell me the answer is out there) Just venting, sorry for the long post.

Mac

And No, It's not the copper turbo pipe!!LOL

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
My long time friend, the Reverend Kedding always told me a two stroke runs the best right before it ruins itself....

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Usually, they are set to run too lean, and then the seize. When a two stroke runs at a clean two stroke all the time, they may have more power, but that is just too lean. It should four stroke when cruising without any real load on it, then break into a two stroke cycle when throttle is applied, or a hill is encountered.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Strange enough, It was jetted properly, I clutched it down the hill cause it does a bit of 4 stroking in those situations, besides, getting a max speed of 50, isn't really 50 if I'm zoomin down a hill. On a good note, I am grateful it didn't come apart catastrophically. Kinda aggravating that the new Zoom ZB80 has a small seat tube mount, never easy I'll tell ya
Amazing enough, piston/Cyl and top bearing are in good shape, gotta find some more bits for my hand impact driver before I go any deeper

Last edited: