New to all of this

GoldenMotor.com

Da_Pirate

Jul 26, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Hey guys, Just wanted to introduce myself and ask for some opinions. see ive got this old bmx bike lying around and im looking at some alternative ways of transportation to campus this full since im not living in the dorms this year. ive been contemplating on buying a moped but i cant find one that i like, so just the other day the idea of building one came to mind. So while i was waiting around at work i decided to google motorized bmx bikes and some how stumbled onto this site.

so now that i got this idea in my mind, i was wondering if any of you have some ideas or suggestions for this build? Im kinda limited to about 3 maybe 4 hundred dollars on the entire build so im looking for any ideas.

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Welcome.
The main question is what is your budget?
If it is $500-$750 and you are building it I have some suggestions.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
A friction drive is a simple and fun run around and could be done on a budget. Side note, is great fun to ride around campuses. Folks want to ask lots of questions. The no insurance and mind boggling MPG is also appealing to folks in school but the "funky" factor is a great conversation piece.

Da_Pirate

Jul 26, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So Ive got to thinking and Ive realized that i might have an issue with the setup.. See My bike has the heavy duty plastic rims meant free style bmx and everything ive seen out there uses metal spoke rims to mount the sprocket, so you can kind of see my dilemma. any ideas on how to mount the sprocket to the my current plastic rims or am i **** out of luck and have to buy new metal spoke rims? also any suggestions on brakes? I kinda have no idea, i have only ever used the basic caliper style that come on the bike stock

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
You could go with a friction drive, that way you will not have to mount a sprocket. You also say you have a $300-$400 budget? Have you consider buying a nice cruiser or Mt. Bike? With 3-$400 you should be able to find a nice bike and still be able to afford a engine kit.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I think if you think about it a minute you can draw the right conclusion about even trying to mount a powerful gas motor drive sprocket to a toy plastic rim.

There are both gas and electric 'friction drive' motors that turn the tire itself that would work, but again I ask, what is your budget and use/need, meaning is will it be your sole transport?
Plan to use it awhile?

It is hard to help steer you in the right direction until you know where where you are going, the conditions you will be riding in, and your wallet.

Just a note...
Other than my Keylock Wiring Upgrade I only sell completed bikes to local Phoenix, AZ people so my help has nothing to do with your wallet.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just a note KC...they are not "toy plastic rims" but very strong "plastic' rims for BMX and occasionally we have used them on ultralight aircraft, since the take a side oad a ot better than spoked wheels. He recognizes that he can't mount a rag joint sprocket on the BMX rim and said he has a budget of 3-400 dollars.

I think he knows where he's going, just need a little help getting there.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
You could go with a friction drive, that way you will not have to mount a sprocket. You also say you have a $300-$400 budget? Have you consider buying a nice cruiser or Mt. Bike? With 3-$400 you should be able to find a nice bike and still be able to afford a engine kit.
This is a good way to go. A hundred dollar craigslist bike and a 1 or two hundred dollar china girl kit. Allows for upgrading down the road and can build an old world, cool looking MB.

This MB would cost just under 400 to build and thats with a new wally world bicycle. Just for illustration.

Attachments

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA
Your BMX could be cute, but for transpertation with a little comfort, I would build on a more substantial frame. Your going to go alot faster than you ever peddled, and 26" wheels take bumps a whole lot better than little wheels.

Da_Pirate

Jul 26, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
well ive decided to scrap the bmx for now... atleast until next year, but ive taken your advice dan picked up a grubee 66cc and a 1970's monark bike off craigslist... so heres a new pick of the bike, ive already sanded it and started to paint.. decided to keep it its original candy red and im going to try to get the manark label back on the chain guard

Attachments

talltommy46

Aug 1, 2010
WA.State USA.
Yep, I think friction drive would be his best choice.. Steppin up to a new bike is always cool too, always! But I think, for that 20in BMX, a rear mount friction drive is the only real option.. No room for in in frame mount.. I've run over those plastic BMX wheels with my 4x4 and it showed no damage, pretty tough.. Would have thrashed alloy/spokes wheel..

Be safe, stay free
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Was actually Fairracing who suggested that. I just agreed it might be the way to go.

Holly cow, score on the 1970's Monark! I scower clist every day looking for finds like that. She is gonna be awesome. Nice

Ya need front brakes now. LOL, your throwing stuff at your monitor right now, ain't ya?

Da_Pirate

Jul 26, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
oh crap didnt read then, well i did what fairracing suggested.... FRONT BRAKES??? lol what do you all suggest for front brakes then? and would you suggest getting rid of the rear coaster brake thats built into the wheel?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
This is a really great thread on coaster brakes with some fantastic suggestions and good information. http://motorbicycling.com/f41/dont-like-coaster-brakes-21094.html I know some great builders who like them and some folks don't. But with out a doubt, you are gonna want front brakes. An emergency stop at 20 or 30 MPH can be hairy! On that thread there is a product I had not seen before. Sort of a horseshoe shaped thing that would work for you. Many options. Also, could see if your BMX fronts can be adapted. Folks do get by with coaster brakes alone, but I couldn't suggest that. If you do for a bit just try to look ahead and slow early.

Here is a search for front brakes and adaptations. front brakes - Google Search Cool part of here is bopping around reading will answer questions you didn't have yet and give you some really cool ideas.

I can't wait to see your build done. That is an awesome bike.

.flg.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That Monark will make for an awesome MB. I recommend loosing the fenders though.
They have a nasty habit of cracking and failing at the mounts and causing severe cases of road rash to the operator.