Reversed top end, running

GoldenMotor.com

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I just watched your video....Ya done good...How did you get the sprocket to run in the right direction????? The turn signal deal is cool.....Just kidding about the sprocket thing,lol.....
Cool bike....

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
I just watched your video....Ya done good...How did you get the sprocket to run in the right direction????? The turn signal deal is cool.....Just kidding about the sprocket thing,lol.....
Cool bike....
Norm has a thread on the reversed top end it gives good info. Unfortunately, I had to turn mine back around. Caught a ring. I even turned the piston around like yer supposed to(proper wear, ring port alignment) and it still hung up. I think it has to do with port position. I believe Norm ended up turning his back around as well. Honestly, I think it's a crap-shoot on weather it will work or not. It ran great till' that ring hung.(Might a been 'cuz I was racing a rukus and was close to red for too long=)) I got the turn signals from rite-aid, 8 buks I believe. In the bike section. Did you know that rite aid has a bike section? It also has a running light in the middle that I had rigged up as a brake light, but I broke the switch. I'll show everyone that when I get it hooked up again. I also wanted to mention that if any one has the thumb shifter for their clutch, I can tell you how to fix the ratcheting mech. inside so it doesn't snap in. It wont lock anymore, but yer not gonna burn up yer clutch either.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
If you do this to a new engine that has not been broken in yet, there should be a lot less chance of a problem. Perhaps the top ring hung up on the port because of a sharp edge or too large a hole that let it ride out of place. Did it sheer or jam into the cylinder wall, or snap and leave debris in one of the ports?

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i did that to mine back in december: http://motorbicycling.com/f38/backwards-engine-experiment-1939-colson-13458.html.

haven't had any problems with rings yet and i beat the h3ll outta this bike. it's got a few thousand miles on it, and it screams along at 45mph+.

i started with a brand new grubee starfire gt4, and it's still going strong.

i've got another build planned with another gt4 reversed, that's how much i like it.

hopefully, i won't have any probs with that one, either.

on yours, what kind of motor did you use, and was it new?

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
The motor doesn't care which way the cylinder is pointed, it's just a dumb machine it doesn't know any better. Racers have been doing this for years on 2 strokes. They'll even run backwards if you bump start them the wrong way.

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
The motor doesn't care which way the cylinder is pointed, it's just a dumb machine it doesn't know any better. Racers have been doing this for years on 2 strokes. They'll even run backwards if you bump start them the wrong way.
That's not entirely true. Because of where the rings on these things sit, you have to make sure that you turn the piston as well. That being said , the edge of the ring still has the tendency to hang up because because of the difference in port height. As far as the thing litteraly running backwards, the magneto would have to be reversed in order for it to fire. Otherwise it would try to fire on the exhaust stroke, no go. If it were able to run backwards, I would have figured out some way to mount that sucker by now=)

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Yes the ring gap has to clear the ports but it doesn't make a difference which way the cylinder is pointed. Yes 2 stokes will run backwards but the timing will be off but they can and do run backwards. That's how bombardier's and Polaris' (borrowed from ski-doo) reverse system works, the motor runs in reverse so there's no need for heavy extra gears.

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
Is the piston the same on both sides?
Are the rings lower on one side than the other?
Or are they the same height on both sides.
Well, again I say it's a little bit of a c**p-shoot on weather it works or not. Were talkin about ht 2strokes here. We all know about the QC over there and that I'm sure is a determining factor. This particular motor, when the pipe and the carb are removed, you can see jus the slighest bit of the ring gap mark inside of the ports. Not alot but it's there. Doesn't matter which way or combo I try to use. I did some VERY mild porting but I suspect it was that way to begin with. So, on my particular ht, when the jug was turned, the leading edge of the ring was exposed just enough to hang up at the top of it's stroke.Also, my piston has two rings on it. Someone posted earlier something about one ring? Do they come with one ring?

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I have the 48cc Skyhawk made in 2009, from Bikeberry. It has 2 rings. My mistake.

I wasn't trying to play april fools.

It has 2 fat little rings that you can remove with your fingers. They have tiny little guide pins set in the piston too, to keep the gaps staggered.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
cabinfever, it's where the ring guides are that matters. if you take a look at a piston, there's the two little pins where the ring gaps go. it's not the same orientation if you turn it around.

on my engine, it actually looked like the ring gaps wouldn't be in the ports when i reversed it, but they were close. after reversing the piston, they had plenty of clearance.

like good vibrations said, it may be a crap shoot. it works great on my engine, but i haven't tried any other ones to see what the clearance is.

on another note, i have "fakied" my bike and bump started it backwards, but the engine still started forwards. weird. but i'm glad it did. i woulda hated to flip over the bars with my bike behind me...

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
I have the 48cc Skyhawk made in 2009, from Bikeberry. It has 2 rings. My mistake.

I wasn't trying to play april fools.

It has 2 fat little rings that you can remove with your fingers. They have tiny little guide pins set in the piston too, to keep the gaps staggered.
Mine are similar, only there's no pin to hold them in place. There's a dot imprinted on the side of the piston were the gap lines up, otherwise you can't squeeze them far enough into the channel to get the piston into the cylinder. I also forgot to mention that this may happen again even with the jug in the right direction. So far, so good, but the way those rings are held in place seems prone to failure anyway after so many miles of wear. CONSPIRACY! Kiddin'. There's no conspiracy..... I KNOW there out to get me.=) xx.