My 1st motor is on it's way & I need help!!

GoldenMotor.com

Carlx

Jun 27, 2016
Erie, PA
Just ordered my new motor so excuse me if this is a noobie question. I've read repeatedly on this & other sites that it's highly recommended to replace all of the engines bolts. A couple of times I seen that a 8.8 grade bolt is recommended, beyond this I know nothing. I'm looking for specific size, quantity etc. of all the bolts. If my model is needed then I have a 66cc 2015 SkyHawk Angle Fire 2-Stroke GT5A. Thank you in advance for any help!!dnut

joetrammel

May 30, 2016
Fremont, Ca
I've had several Skyhawks motors and they have the better quality stuff I've never stressed on the engine bolts on it id get rid of the rag joint adapter for the rear though to be honest and get a bbr tuning hub adapter or the disc brake hub adapters the rag joint does horror to your rear wheel

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
From one slightly less new person to another...this hobby is awesome. Your gonna need some mechanical know how, but don't overthink it. The guys and or gals on this forum will steer you right. I have had a 66/80cc flying horse for a week or so now and I love it.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
No pre-install upgrades

I used the kit below

http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine-kits/gas-engine-kits/66-80cc-flying-horse-silver-angle-fire-bicycle-engine-kit-2-stroke.html

My install took about 4-5 hours it would have been quicker but I originally tried one bike that turned out to have a hub that was too big so I had to piece together a bike that would fit and finally had to spend some time bending and grinding one pedal to clear the side of the engine and exhaust. I think a new person with the correct bike and adapters (if needed) could put one together in an hour.

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I been playing with my bike for 2 years now and you don't have to replace the bolts just recheck them and tighten as needed. Helll, I never ever even bother spending more money on the motors with stickers I just order them on eBay and still I've had no major problems. No need to polish a turd. GL.

Carlx

Jun 27, 2016
Erie, PA
Ok I'm sticking with my factory bolts & I'll throw some blue loctite on them. So does anyone have an opinion on the parts I should replace prior to my initial install? I've read a spark plug, fuel line & fuel filter. Anyone have a bad experience with a trash part? Its said the Skyhawk has quality parts & I hope it's true.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
The fuel line and filter really isn't bad if you store your bike inside it does harden over time but it doesn't matter really. I've been using the stock line for ages and its never cracked. Buy jets because these motors never run right out of the box. Put them in as you go and use your chain tensioner for a little while till the chain finishes stretching then break the chain to fit snug with about 1/2 slack and then throw away the stock chain tensioner. Yes for sure get a NGK B8HS.

After you finish your build then you can start changing things like exhaust and heads for compression. You will need to re jet after some aftermarket parts are added. While your at if you should tear the top end of your engine off and port the intake and exhaust now so you don't need to do it later. You just need cheap needle files. Also it helps to clean the casting in the transfer ports just in case there's any loose debris in there that can come loose and it will help flow, its a pain so you wont be able to port it much just clean it up.

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
The studs will be okay as long as you don't over tighten your head nuts. Also, sometimes the short style acorn nuts that come with many engines will bottom out on the studs, when this happens as you turn them to tighten, the threads will get stripped, both on the nut itself, the stud threads, as well as the threads in the crank case. It's recommended to replace the acorn nuts with quality nuts from your hardware store and don't over tighten them.

Carlx

Jun 27, 2016
Erie, PA
Thx for the input fellas. Cyclon I'll need to reserch pretty much all of your suggestions since I'm new to all this but that's why these forums are so useful. I've looked for the NGK plug at all of my local auto parts stores but none had the specific one you mentioned, guess that's why eBay is so useful too.