what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Wednesday
The first batch of parts arrived. (49cc jug and piston, mounting bracket, and Banana looking expansion pipe.) (I Ordered a couple kits and parts for friends they bought my pipe for me.)

Went for a Ride.

Slapped the Expansion chamber on the bike. One of the Exhaust studs stripped out when i took the old muffler off so I used what i had handy to fix it. I had a 10mm bolt that was to long, so i put the 10mm nut on the bolt added the washers, threaded the bolt in until it bottomed out, and tightened the nut down on the flange. works so well i plan to do the other the same way.
Nice improvement on the low end, but the top end dropped off a bit.
I looked at the pipe before i put it on and knew I would be doing some work on it, but needed to get some new bit, stones and Sand paper for the Dremel.

Went for a Ride.

Friday
The Kits i ordered for friends arrived at about 11AM. (this would never happen if the parts were for me.) Bob and Todd picked up the kits and started working on there Bikes.

Went for a Ride.

Saturday
bought tips and some new wrenches.
Bob and Todd completed there builds. (I lent a hand when they needed, but they didn't need much help.( not there first bikes.))

Went for a Ride with Bob, Todd, and Greggo. I wanted to smack Greg upside the head a couple times for STUPID maneuvers he made.
best way to put express Todd's feelings about his new bike? dance1

The funny part of the first ride is Bob saying it gonna be Wide open right from the get go, and Todd saying he is going to baby it during break in. They did just the opposite. laff

Sunday
Pulled the Jug and Piston, Cleaned up the Transfers, notched the skirt on the intake side. It is still not completely open, but close to it.

Went for a Ride. Bike seemed to perform better.

Monday

Pulled the Jug and Piston again.
The Welds and pipe fit at the flange of the Expansion pipe were TERRIBLE. (I should have taken pictures) So I spent some time this morning working on that. Followed that up with a little work on the Piston crown at the transfers and Exhaust. (Minor changes) did a bit of reading, and used Fred's Ebay Pistons as a guide.

After I put the bike back together I took it out for a test ride. Couldn't get the Bike to start, pulled over to have a look, and connected the plug wire.laff
Did a couple laps, and the Bike Died, pulled the gas cap, Yup you know it, Out of Gas. laff Pedaled about a block back home, and put some gas in.

So how did My Mods work out you ask?

Very well. the bike has good power all around. Strong off the line, and the top end speed is back. Can't wait until I actually get it broke in.
Time to go mix up my 3rd Gallon of gas(50:1), and go for a Ride.cvlt1

I noticed today when i pulled the jug that the Carbon on the piston was burning off, which tells me i must be doing something right with the mods.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Attempted to use electrical solder to repair a leak in my gas tank. It's a whizzer style tank with the petcock threads on the outside, and leaking around the welds. The solder didnt work. I'm off to the auto parts store in a few to get some gasproof epoxy. I'll prep the surface with a wire brush before applying the epoxy.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa

removed and checked the clutch one way and race...cleaned everything and fixed an air leak at the intake gasket....its A-Ok now

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Went to Walmart and got some Quiksteel epoxy putty. Already applied it to the leaky gas tank (drained the gas, then lit the tank with a lighter, one quick POOF and it was done, son). It takes an hour to cure, so we'll see what happens then.

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego

Began building a bike for my brother.

Drilled the sprocket to mount to a disc brake rotor, removed the cassette and replaced with a single speed adapter.

Pieced the bike together, mounted the engine, aligned the chains

Just need a gas tank and brakes and it'll be ready to go... I hope

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Well, today was eventful.
Sort of...

While riding, my chain finally went snapo. Unbeknowst to me, taking a tooth off the engine sprocket with it. Sh1t. Well, I just made a new chain, so I ran it anyway. Runs fine.

Here's the scary part: the engine wouldn't fire properly. Oh crap. Misfiring like nobodies business. So I pull it back by it's normal resting place, figuring I'll jack with it tomorrow.

Engine is backfiring through the carb, spitting smoke through the carb and exhaust. Great, engine is gone. I look down and see arcing on the frame. WTF? It's the ground wire arcing! It had decided to come out of it's connection. Great! So I fix that, try to ride it. No fire. Damn.

Look down, what do you know? The hot wire off the mag decided it wanted to come out too. Stick that sucker back in, hop back on, clear the fuel from the engine and it fires right up and takes off.

Me gusta. :D

Got a couple pictures later.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Lol, I sorta did the same thing today, although it was my spark plug boot that was off. I had removed it while trying to get my fuel line back on. My spark plug sticks out from the side of the head on my 98cc Lifan, under and to the right of my tank petcock. So I forgot the boot was off, pulled the starter rope 3 or 4 times, nothing. Finally look down and see the boot hanging there, and go oh yeah, duh! Put the boot back on and she fires right up. The good news is the quiksteel patched the tank up just fine. No more leaking.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Pictures I mentioned earlier:

modified exhaust cap

KA-BOOM!

Modified clutch cover, plastidipped.

Gotta get some bolts for the cover, then I'm good to go and the bike doesn't look AS ghetto as it does now. lmao

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

Started final fine tuning of the Jaguar on the new DAX bottom after cross over 700 miles its time find the REDLINE. brnot

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Got my Dax balanced lower build put on bike, and ready to get broken in and then I'll do the exhaust, Puch head and the better carb mods, all I can say is WOW....!

These lowers are way better balanced than anything I've seen in the other kit engines, worth every penny....!

Attachments

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth

Added 2 Specialized Armadillos with Thorn Resistant Tubes

Trued my back wheel.

Broke my engine housing due to a stripped screw.

Upgraded chain

Fixed some spokes

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

I got the lower timing curve of the Jag set, the I made three test runs for top end of the timing curve . With B2 jumper in she peaked out @ 7500RPM.s , with B1 she peaked out @ 7850 RPM.s BUT with setting "X" (no Bees) I cranked her up to 8520 RPM.s and still climbing just BLOW-UP all my work. After running the stock CDI and the JAG I have come to the termination that the engine is so balanced there's no difference in vibration between the two CDI.s SMOOOOOTH BOYS once you DAX you won't go BAX!!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

Just bought the copper supplies I need to 'engineer' a custom exhaust setup for my bike. Gonna use copper and a standard, old fashioned 3/4" threaded 8" muffler. I think that it'll do ok. Picts tomorrow.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

Just bought the copper supplies I need to 'engineer' a custom exhaust setup for my bike. Gonna use copper and a standard, old fashioned 3/4" threaded 8" muffler. I think that it'll do ok. Picts tomorrow.
How are you going to put it all together?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Just wanted to say here that I also plan to build an exhaust by using all or mostly copper tubing and fittings, I'll be brazing mine together, copper to copper and copper to steel, the brass will bond all of it good.

(Note: to any who may not know, this brazing can't be done with a simple hand held propane torch.)

Map
reddd

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun

Nothing. waiting on parts to rebuild the top end after a very successful experiment.
(wrist pin retaining clip failed, and took out the piston and cylinder.)

is there a better clip than the originals?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

Cleaned the entire bike, then painted the head and a stripe on the tank with rattlecan red.