Arranging shifter, brakes and throttle when left hand doesnt work very well

GoldenMotor.com

DaveH

Mar 11, 2013
Gig Harbor WA
I'd like to get your opinions on how to arrange everything on my handlebars before I put it all together.

My left hand doesnt work very well due to a table saw accident, I can grip and twist a throttle or a grip shifter to an extent but not pull on a lever.

I'm concerned that having the throttle and dual brake operated by my right hand would interfere with each other: Like I could still be twisting the throttle when trying to brake at the same time.

I dont have a lot of grip strength or endurance in my left, how hard is it to twist a motorized bicycle throttle? Is it tiring? I wouldnt imagine so but I figure its worth asking the question.

However I can easily twist a grip shifter with my left, I do it now all the time.

Any advice? Thanks!

Dave

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Dave.

I am not sure and have no advise other then have you considered an non-manual clutch? Like with a pullstart, 2 stroke or 4 stroke. A few more bucks but would solve the issue.

Wow, reading "table saw" in that context gave me a shiver. Hope it is a "gonna-heal" thing.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Forgot to say, using a duel brake lever on the rt is not a problem. I keep my pointer finger on the brake for quick, emergencies but under normal stopping, your off the throttle any way. Becomes second nature after a short while.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
If you used a dual pull lever in your right hand you could run your twist grip shifter on the right as well and then use a thumb throttle on the left.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Or, since most kits require removal of the front derailleur, which also negates the front twist shifter need. Without a need for a front twist grip shifter on the left hand side you could use it for your clutch. Just run the clutch cable through the twist shifter, twist one way for clutch engaged and the other way for disengaged. I never had an issue with the throttle on the right along with a dual pull brake lever.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Howdy Dave.

I am not sure and have no advise other then have you considered an non-manual clutch? Like with a pullstart, 2 stroke or 4 stroke. A few more bucks but would solve the issue.

Wow, reading "table saw" in that context gave me a shiver. Hope it is a "gonna-heal" thing.
Seems like Dan's advice is the way to go. Being unable to pull (squeeze) a lever is going to make using a manual clutch difficult for the man. A centrifugal clutch would be his best option.

I also agree that having both brake and throttle on the right is common. Most of us do it that way and it does become second nature to roll off power as you apply brake with the right hand.

Funny that no one has mentioned that shifters, for the most part aren't used much on a motorized bike. Select one gear that allows easy pedaling to start the engine and the shifter is then just along for the ride and not used again.

Tom

Last edited:

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
Funny that no one has mentioned that shifters, for the most part aren't used much on a motorized bike. Select one gear that allows easy pedaling to start the engine and the shifter is then just along for the ride and not used again.

Tom
actually i used the gears quite a bit when they were hooked up.

back on topic
yes as ppl said above u can use the throttle and double brake on the right side.
however using the left shifter for the clutch may be more difficult that using the lever.
U can move the derailleur by hand, but u cant move the clutch by hand.. it is much stiffer. I suggest maybe mounting on the top of the handle bars in the middle somewhere, so u can just press down on it. or turn in backwards on ur side of the bars, pointing to the ... left and use ur thumb instead (or) right and just push forward.

r.ly.

DaveH

Mar 11, 2013
Gig Harbor WA
Thanks for all the ideas so far, I'm planning on a 4 stroke w/ a SBP shift kit so there won't be a clutch to worry about.

Sorry, I should have specified that. The grip shifter will be driving a 7 speed. The 4 stroke has a centrifugal clutch that does it thing dependent on throttle/rpm so I wont have to worry about it.

My main concern was the the throttle/brake interference. I guess it's a non-issue after all.

Yeah, table saw, messy way to chop off fingers.... did it 6 years ago so it's healed up as much as it ever will. I've been a hobby woodworker for 25 years and I've met a lot of guys missing fingers.

Last edited:

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
I have heard good things about the SBP shift kits with the 4g primary. I think Aleman uses one. For shifters, the standard on bikes is on the right side for the rear derailleur. I think it would come more natural to keep it that way. Let us know what you come up with!

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm concerned that having the throttle and dual brake operated by my right hand would interfere with each other: Like I could still be twisting the throttle when trying to brake at the same time.

Dave
Uh...twisting the throttle while holding the brake would be like whipping the horse to go while you're still in the stable wouldn't it?

If you're sitting at a stop sign, your foot should be enough to keep your bike from moving while you rev your engine to impress the girls <wink>