Well...

GoldenMotor.com

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Well my chain tensioner decided to jump into my rear wheel tearing out three spokes. So while I wait on my tax return or Whelan to buy my rear rack ;) to pay to re-lace my rim, I'm gunna break my bike down and paint it.

I'm slightly pissed off about this, I tightened that tensioner too.

Anyways, that's my rant for today.
Have a good one.
YRR

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I removed mine the other day. Works great without it so long as you have a true sprocket and the chain is aligned well. Even a tensioner made out of wood would be better than the kit one. But I suppose the easiest way to prevent it from doing that is drilling a hole through the clamp and put a bolt in it

Sad to hear though D: The silver lining is the chance to rebuild better than ever though

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
yeah, I think what I'm going to do is put a skateboard wheel on a lathe and cut a groove in it. I dunno, but yeah. It's frustrating.

You're in Boulder, rocky?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Say, YRR, do you think your drive chain would work without the little tensioner/guide wheel? If you could find out whether you could use just enough of the drive chain to go around the rear sprocket and the engine drive gear, and keep tension just by moving the rear wheel back in the dropouts, AND that chain doesn't rub or slap the chainstays or any part of the frame, you could just put the chain tensioner over on the pedal side and adapt the pedal chain to the tension of the drive chain that way.
If your chainstays are out of the drive chain's way on the lower path of the chain, your problems may be solved.

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Yeah I'm sure I can my main dillema is fixing the rear wheel now. But I found a local bike shop that will do it for $30. I'll see if he could do away with my freewheeling hub and put a coaster on it. Depends where I'm at fund wise.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
i was stubborn and learned the hard way to about the chain tensioner one day while full out it fell in locked up the back wheel snaped the chain and broke a motor mount stud and took out a few spokes . good thing for me it locked that back wheel up so i only skided to a stop .

i drilled the hole in the tensioner into the bike then taped works great looks good.