Help Bevel gear is fixing to come off

GoldenMotor.com

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
Hi there, Im Joe from Texas and I have an 80 cc boy go fast kit mounted on a beach cruiser. I have upgraded just about everything and just when I thought I had it right I start to hear a squeaking noise at all speeds. I first heard it when i was doing about 35 so I backed it down some. The squeaking noise was heard at any speed. I figured I would go home and grease up the clutch gears and thats when I found out the bevel gear looks like its gonna come off. I looked up several threads on this problem but have not been able to find exactly the information I need on taking it off and installing a new one and also what are the proper tools, If some one out there has input on this it would be greatly appreciated. Also I would like to add that I have a brand new 80 cc spare engine I can take parts off.

Attachments

Last edited:

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
Yeah I saw that link but I was hoping I didnt have to tear down whole engine to do it. Im starting to think My little China Girl is about to retire.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
All you gotta do is remove the screw, take a socket thet is about the samesize as the gear, and use it and a hammer to drive it back on, then put the screw back in

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
I tried to remove the screw but the tire turns with the counter clock wise turn I give it using a large screw driver. I try to hold the tire but is still seems stuck. I read threads where they say you have to use an impact screw driver but I dont have one or a compressor.

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
I also forgot to ask, Do I need to replace any parts or are you saying I can just hammer it back in after taking off the screw. I am also forgot to add that its the little gear coming that looks like its coming off.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
First off, if you want to remove the smaller clutch gear (of the two), remove the spark plug, stuff some cord (about 1') into the spark plug hole, leaving enough to retrieve. When you turn the gear (screw) the piston will contact the cord and stop piston movement. After removing the screw, and you might have to use a hammer hand impact. Then remove the gear using the proper gear puller if you have one. Although you can drive it back on as mentioned above. Make sure the woodruff key is in place and not sheared. Replacement as needed.

Last edited:

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
I used hammer and flat head screw driver to loosen the screw and then I used a socket that fit perfectly in the hole where the screw was. I pounded it in with a hammer and it worked. I noticed the key was still in place and looking intact. I took it for a 30 mile ride and took off the cover when I got home. I was surprized to see every thing was still in place. It worked and thanks for the replies.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Glad you got it fixed. A trick i have used many times to lock the gears for loostening stuff, is to jam a copper penny into the gears where they mesh. the copper is soft and doesn't harm the gears.

A flat piece of copper makes a good gasket scraper for alumunum cases too. Dulls quickly and needs re-filing every munite or so of use. No matter how aggressive you scrape, the copper won't scratch or cut the aluminum.