Lawrence motorized bicycle N00b

GoldenMotor.com

G. F'N S.

Sep 10, 2011
Lawrence, Kansas
Hey motorized bicycle forum! I've been haunting the site for some time now picking up tips and drooling over photos of all the awesome builds people throw up. My first engine (cheapo china girl from bike berry) is on it's way and I'm getting super stoked. I got an awesome deal on a basically new Schwinn Typhoon and when I hop on that thing, it feels like I'm on vacation. I've been a bike mechanic and a racer for about 10 years but this will be my first venture in to the world of internal combustion. My roommate races two-stroke go carts and a wealth of knowledge so he can keep me from blowing myself up. I really dug Bairdco's fender fix post and since the Schwinn didn't come with fenders I think I'm gonna have to pick up some Wald's. Any tips, tricks or common sense are greatly appreciated. I'll be posting pics along the way as well.

G. F'N S.

Sep 10, 2011
Lawrence, Kansas
Re: Lawrence MB N00b

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Glad to be here. Well, my engine got here today! We took it to my friends work shop and tore it down earlier this evening. Everything is looking really good. We cleaned out all the shavings and "china" and lubed up the piston. Unfortunately we broke a piston ring while reassembling the engine so I'll have to pick one up at a lawn mower repair store or something tomorrow but if that's the only thing that went sour, I ain't complaining. Also picking up a new chain and spark plug tomorrow and I hope to fire it up tomorrow evening. Can't wait!

G. F'N S.

Sep 10, 2011
Lawrence, Kansas

Apparently, nobody in the area has the right size piston ring so I just ordered one from bikeberry. Should be here by this weekend. In the meantime I got my new chain (oooh) lol and a new spark plug (ahh). I found out that 215 chain is referred to at Tractor Supply as #41. Who knew. I think tomorrow I'm gonna go get new hardware from ACE. Other than that, more lusting after shexy bike photos. Oh and getting that coaster brake arm back on. Is there any other way to mod that dust cap w/o a bench grinder?

G. F'N S.

Sep 10, 2011
Lawrence, Kansas

Ok so I got my piston rings in. Got the engine back together and mounted on the bike. Also got a new spark plug. I got a question for y'all tho cause I got some brakes but they wont fit over these big balloon tires. Are there any brake calipers made for cruisers? Any Suggestions?

Nobody around here seems to have a good chain break. Bummer. I went down to the local bike shop and all they had were silly little bontreger chain breaks. Chisel and hammer?

The other problem I have deals with the coaster brake arm. It won't fit over the nuts for the rear sprocket. Do I have to bend it or what?