Leaky Petcock...

GoldenMotor.com

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
Hey gang... so I finished my build this weekend (I'll post pictures in another thread) and I've been riding it around for the last 2 days and have just a few minor tweaks to adjust. one of wich is a leaky petcock. I put teflon tape on the threads just as suggested in the installation instructions but I now have a slow trickle from the tank side of the fuel valve. it is slowly trickling down the hose and puddling on the carb.
any suggestions? also I'm thinking of a hose clamp at the pressure fittings on the valve and the carb connections of the fuel hose. what solutions have you veterans come up with for these issues?

I'm positive it isn't leaking from the tickler button or the float bowl housing, so in addition to my leaky petcock valve, it must be the fuel line connections.

Last edited:

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
Hey gang... so I finished my build this weekend (I'll post pictures in another thread) and I've been riding it around for the last 2 days and have just a few minor tweaks to adjust. one of wich is a leaky petcock. I put teflon tape on the threads just as suggested in the installation instructions but I now have a slow trickle from the tank side of the fuel valve. it is slowly trickling down the hose and puddling on the carb.
any suggestions? also I'm thinking of a hose clamp at the pressure fittings on the valve and the carb connections of the fuel hose. what solutions have you veterans come up with for these issues?

I'm positive it isn't leaking from the tickler button or the float bowl housing, so it must be the fuel line connections in addition to my leaky patcock valve.

If it is leaking from The fuel line A simple Cheap fix is to take two small pieces of thin Mechanics Wire
wrap it around the Fuel line At the top of petcock and fuel tank.Twist with Needle nose pliers And cut to length.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bob

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
Thanks for the tips... zip ties or small gage wire to clamp the hose ends, but what about the threaded end of the valve that goes into the tank?? I "sealed" it with teflon tape but the most of the leak is coming from there. I'll obviously need to drain the tank and try again, but any suggestions for when I do that?

Thanks!!

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
Thanks for the tips... zip ties or small gage wire to clamp the hose ends, but what about the threaded end of the valve that goes into the tank?? I "sealed" it with teflon tape but the most of the leak is coming from there. I'll obviously need to drain the tank and try again, but any suggestions for when I do that?

Thanks!!
did you use the special red washer that comes with the kit?

cheers:)

Bob

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
If you look close at the threaded portion of the valve, you will see a crack. If not, give it a month or so. It will break off and spew fuel everywhere. Just replace the valve.

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
seriously!!! the red washer??? it's like gasket material... my instructions never said what to do with it!! is that really all I have to do, teflon tape and the "magic" red washer?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
You can tip the bike over onto its side and replace or repair the fuel valve if the tank isn't too full usually less than 1/2 a tank.

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
If you look close at the threaded portion of the valve, you will see a crack. If not, give it a month or so. It will break off and spew fuel everywhere. Just replace the valve.
... and buy one from you? we'll see... when the time comes!

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
I used Teflon only on one valve and installed it without the red washer. It leaked at the tank side of the valve. I removed it, cleaned the threads, put the red washer on and placed fresh Teflon tape on the threads then re-installed the valve. Wa La!! no leak!!. Good luck. (^)

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
More tape should fix the problem. You have to much when it will not screw inside the tank. And that little red washer, My dog thought it needed Hot Sauce! If nothing works get some "Honda Bond". It will not get hard, & is gas proof. Kind of like real thick tooth paste. rotfl

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
did you use the special red washer that comes with the kit?

cheers:)

Bob
Thanks Bob!!! this was the magic bullet... I installed the red washer and then put more teflon tape on and No more leaky Petcock!!! Have I mentioned how I love this forum (Room full of Experts)??? YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
Ask a question and someone has probably had the issue before and found a simple and painless fix!!

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
seriously!!! the red washer??? it's like gasket material... my instructions never said what to do with it!! is that really all I have to do, teflon tape and the "magic" red washer?
Glade it all worked Out.:D

Magical..???
Hum..

No i doubt it..:)

But if you feel its magical you may want to rub it Then ask for three wishes,

If i where you I Would use one of those wishes to stop your Leak.:D

The Red Washer is used in between The Fuel Valve and Fuel tank.

For the record Teflon and Liquid Gas Do not get along And will eventually fail so keep an eye on it.

There are allot of Issues Not printed in the instructions.

That's one of the reasons We have this wonderful forum

Cheers:)

Bob

BlueCollarBike

Last edited: