First Build - Cranbrook - Jet 66cc

GoldenMotor.com

crazymike

May 17, 2011
TN
Hi everyone! I have the bike in hand and am now waiting on parts (WOO-HOO)! I ended up spending more than I planned to at first (of course) but I wanted to get a good start and thought the custom sprocket adapter was worth the premium. I will be posting pics as I progress, right now I am working on tearing the bike down to make sure everything is greased / put together properly and to do a repaint. In the meantime I thought it might be a helpful to others if I posted my purchase / cost breakdown so far. I also will appreciate any suggestions on anything I am missing! So here goes:

Walmart

1 x Mens 26" Huffy Cranbrook (bought locally) $89.97
Sales Tax (9.75%) $8.77
Total $98.74

pistonbikes.com

2 x 26" Brake Kit Front or Rear - Silver $39.98
1 x Bullet LED Head Light - Black $29.99
1 x Silver Jet 80 Standard Angle Fire Bicycle Engine Kit $169.99
1 x Baby Bee Tail Light - Red $8.99
Shipping - UPS Ground $52.27
Total $301.22

sportscarpat here on the forum

1 x Sprocket Adapter and 40 tooth Sprocket $80.00
Shipping - UPS Ground $10.50
Total $90.50

sickbikeparts.com

1 x Brake Lever - Dual Pull (SBP-BL021) $11.99
1 x Filter - FUEL (SBP-FF006) $4.95
1 x Engine Hardware Kit (SBP-EH020) $9.95
1 x Valve - FUEL (SBP-FV007) $9.95
1 x Plug Wire - High Performance (SBP-PW018) $6.49
1 x NGK B6HS Spark Plug (SBP-SP6HS) $2.49
1 x Kill Rocker Switch (SBPKS-001) $4.49
Shipping $11.00
Total $61.31

Grand Total $551.77

Thanks to everyone who has given me advice and posted so much useful info on the forum!

crazymike

May 17, 2011
TN
Front Engine Mount - Large Universal
[SBP-UFM050] $14.95
Expansion Chamber - BLACK - Exhaust Pipe
[SBP-ES002] $67.95
I knew I forgot something, went back and got the mount on the way. Not going to get the exhaust pipe just yet but maybe in the future.

Thanks!

crazymike

May 17, 2011
TN
I've been going over my design plan and looking at other cruiser type bikes for ideas and ran across a cranbrook with a bent springer front end. Does anyone have experience with these on a cruiser, does it make the ride unstable and do they hold up on an MB?

crazymike

May 17, 2011
TN
they are a little hard to get use to u mite try getting use to the bike with motor b4 trying the bent springers on it
Agreed, I think I am getting a little ahead of myself here :) Gonna get what I have together when it comes in and go from there

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
i use a cranbrook too good frame just check the welds....... a straight springer fork is very smooth ride but a bent springer is a bit harder to use when making sharp turns

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Its a good idea to check inside the muffler for welding spatter and remove it with a die grinder if you have one, read all the tips in the classic posts as they will help. Port matching helps a-lot, the quality control or the lack of is the cause.

crazymike

May 17, 2011
TN
i use a cranbrook too good frame just check the welds....... a straight springer fork is very smooth ride but a bent springer is a bit harder to use when making sharp turns
Its a good idea to check inside the muffler for welding spatter and remove it with a die grinder if you have one, read all the tips in the classic posts as they will help. Port matching helps a-lot, the quality control or the lack of is the cause.
Thanks for the tips guys, I need to round up some tools like a die grinder very soon, I don't have much of a workshop, but I do have an empty shed that I just built a work table out of an old door and scrap wood that I would like to set up for small jobs xD

crazymike

May 17, 2011
TN
Anyone know the seat post size for a Cranbrook? I want to buy a lean back seat post and don't have the bike here at the moment :)

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
i just bought one a few weeks back for my cranbrook and its really comfortable ........... are you using the blue cranbrook or the silver one that walmart sells?

crazymike

May 17, 2011
TN
i just bought one a few weeks back for my cranbrook and its really comfortable ........... are you using the blue cranbrook or the silver one that walmart sells?
I am using the black one with black rims / handlebars, I don't think they sell it in stores, ordered it online and got a $20 e-card. I initially purchased the blue one locally but took it back today because of the rim color not really fitting in with what I want to do. It's the Huffy Cranbrook College Cruiser, should be here in a few days :)

crazymike

May 17, 2011
TN
its it a 26 or 24 in ?
It's a 26", you scared the crap out of me just then because I actually just assumed it was 26" when I ordered because I had been looking at so many of them all day that were all the same with different color schemes xD

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
LMAO!!!! thats why its good to double check what you order.......with the 26 cranbrooks your gonna need a large frame mount or a drill trough frame mount.............of you can make your own with a U bolt ......but when you get ur bike check the welds cause these bike are notorious for weak welds ........i put my bike trough **** before i put the motor on, i rode it up and down hills, went for a 3 mile ride on bumpy roads ..........after that i trusted my bike enough to put the motor on

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
yeah itll hold up no problem just put some locktite or pipe thread and youll be fine just dont get that crappy seat post one