quick release clamps for rear baskets?

GoldenMotor.com

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i've been going to meijer and getting the schwinn wicker basket, it has a quick release mount, throwing the basket away and just using the mount. there about $15. works great.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I recommend going with the real thing and getting a $25-$30 Wald 157. Amazon.com has lots of their stuff, too. You can make a few changes to the basket to enable quick release, while keeping it's inherent strength. Easy to mount on rear the way it's designed, too. I use a 157GB model on my cargo bike, great for laundry day. It can fit a boxed HF 2.5.

Wald stuff is still that good ol cheap American overkill our country used to make without tryin.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I LOVE saddlebag baskets and had them as a kid- the trouble is they haven;t kept up with the cycling times- SOOOOO heavy!

I got some older ones used, made to fit across a fender- I've eliminated the heavy middle brackets and I'm gonna lash them to a lightweight alloy rack (also too hard to find- I've got a really really light one from the eighties)

and I'm gonna use PLASTIC tie downs- you get a big bunch in a bag for a dollar or two, they go right on- they're really strong- and you can cut them back off-

or there's alway rope or string or straps-

but if you start with a light alloy rack- you can save a lot of weight- there are SOME alloy baskets- very pricey.

I mostly use a front basket I get for 16 dollars at Wal-Mart- it goes on and off a plastic bracket that stays on.

wicker looks nice but catches a lot of wind at motor speeds- too wide spacing and small things will fall out-

top rear rack baskets hold a lot, but put the center of gravity higher- extra weight is best carried low if excessive

Last edited:

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA
I recommend going with the real thing and getting a $25-$30 Wald 157. Amazon.com has lots of their stuff, too. You can make a few changes to the basket to enable quick release, while keeping it's inherent strength. Easy to mount on rear the way it's designed, too. I use a 157GB model on my cargo bike, great for laundry day. It can fit a boxed HF 2.5.

Wald stuff is still that good ol cheap American overkill our country used to make without tryin.
Aleman, Isn't that engine suppose to mount on your bike to run it and not in the basket for you to haul around? .trlrl.

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
those quick release mechanisms for the little wicker baskets at meijer aren't going to work for a commercial laundry basket. I'd like to know how i could modify a wald157 baskets hook ups to make it a quick release.

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
i found theres some ortlieb rear basket removeable bracket but its never in stock. I'm thinking of just attaching it with a permanent bracket. any ideas as to how to do that? I am planning on mounting the basket on a tubus locc rack. like this one Tubus Locc Rear Cycle Rack for 26in Wheels

it looks like some long u bolts with a flat bar with two holes in it for the bolt ends to pass thru and have nuts on the ends of them would work.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Sorry I missed your follow-up question!

I'd like to know how i could modify a wald157 baskets hook ups to make it a quick release.
There are 4 main bolts that hold a Wald 157 to it's mounts. If you replace those 4 bolts with slightly longer ones, and nut them onto their mount posts, then you can simply use 4 wing nuts to hold the basket on. Easy to remove, easy to install.

Even without the wingnuts, one can install and remove a Wald 157 in minutes.