? difference btwn 2strk marine oil tcw-3

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Two stroke oil for air cooled engines is formulated differently. It is for air cooled engines that run at various rpm. Marine oil is for liquid cooled more-or-less constant speed engines.

I wouldn't mix them, and I would only add MMO to the mix AFTER you mix your gas and oil to 32:1, not as part of the mix.

Now I can almost guarantee you will get at least 5 differing opinions and debates about this.

They make two different oils for the differing applications for a reason.

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
Two stroke oil for air cooled engines is formulated differently. It is for air cooled engines that run at various rpm. Marine oil is for liquid cooled more-or-less constant speed engines.

I wouldn't mix them, and I would only add MMO to the mix AFTER you mix your gas and oil to 32:1, not as part of the mix.

Now I can almost guarantee you will get at least 5 differing opinions and debates about this.

They make two different oils for the differing applications for a reason.
joe i gotta come clean here....i made a mix w/marine oil !....is this serious?..im still in the break in period.......

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It in reality will probably not hurt anything, especially if you mixed the two 50/50.
Not sure what mix you are running but if you are running 16:1 I would suggest a change to 24:1 for break in.

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
It in reality will probably not hurt anything, especially if you mixed the two 50/50.
Not sure what mix you are running but if you are running 16:1 I would suggest a change to 24:1 for break in.
i should have explained better....my initial gas up was made w/the marine oil and gas at the recommended break in ratio!.....i had bought regular coastal 2 cycle...but in my haste to hit the road i reached into my oil cabinet and saw the "Wally World" blue marine tcw-3 container (which was opened already)...and didn't give it a second thought.....till i was readin the lengthy post here about Optima2 and toms problems.....and then i was ...."OH SH&t !........even more so concerned as im in break in period......i'd hate to be doin damage to a great 1st build because of my ignorance.......

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
BTW- the 16:1 bit is because the Chinese use regular 30wt motor oil and that makes a mess and causes all kind of carbon build up too.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
so i broke my motor in with outboard 2 stroke motor and ran it at least 500 mile at 16/1 after some reading i bought some all purpose stuff from wally worls and have been running 32/1 for about 300 miles

im not sure of the long term effects of a high mix ratio or the fact that it was wrong type of oil but whatever i learned my lesson anyway next time ill just use multipurpose at 24/1 mix for breah in then 32/1 after a gallon or two of that