Premium or regular?

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm afraid your question is a bit too general and prone to personal preference...

...but generally speaking, high octane fuels are for high compression engines (which most stock bicycle engines are not) & the "best" ratio for a synthetic is whatever the manufacturer of the synthetic oil recommends for that oil ;)

We've ppl runnin' anywhere from 24:1 to 100:1 and all seem to love w/e it is they've got lol

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
87 octane is more than enough for a 6:1 compression ratio.

Use the manufactures' suggestions for any chosen oil.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Personally I run 91 octane Chevron Gas with Castor 927 oil at a 32:1 mix and it runs great!
Love the smell of that 927....castor based oils rock when it comes to aroma!

That is a very good oil as well, been using it for years in some of my two-strokes. Maxima K-2 is my fave however.

And as for the topic here.....I'm a fool for premium in all single cylinder engines, 2 or 4-stroke, high or low compression....that's just merotfl

Last edited:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
I couldnt even dream of goin to 32:1 I reckon it would be way too leann, not sure if its coz of the higher octane we have here or the two stroke oil being used.
I was using valvalene oil b4, after switching to the castrol the carbon build up has reduced massively.