Propane bottle gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
I had an idea to use 2 round ends of some propane bottles as a gas tank for my schwinn. Got it mostly done except grinding and some more welding,but this crap is really thin. Have to spot weld the whole thing to keep from blowing holes in it. Ground down the welds and of course more pin holes. The more i weld and grind the thinner the metal gets and more pin holes.. Ive got some tank sealer on the way but what can i use on the outside Jb weld? Quick steel? Im starting to lose my cool on this tank and dont want to smash it lol..A buddy told me to use some fiberglass resin stuff but dont know if that would work. Any ideas here? Thanks

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
How about gettin' a torch and brazing/soldering? Particularly with today's Egas I don't think any of the "glue" type stuff is worth bothering with...

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
I was originally going to braze it but my propane torch wouldnt melt the rod, didnt think about soldering it. Ive done some of that on brass radiators but not on metal. Would i use acid core or rosin core? Might try that have both..thanks

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Prolly acid core - but I'm not all that experienced w/it, resin might be just fine *shrug*

That tank is lookin' awesome BTW (^)

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
Thanks Barely im nodding off as im typing lol...Your rollfast bike is awesome. I love it. Glad you made a couple videos,they are cool..This bike will have the nuvinci hub and it kinda bothers me you wont be able to hear it shift like yours. But im also building a mooneyes bike that will have a 7 spd nexus and that will have the sound im craving to hear,shifting gears with that sbp exhaust OH Yeah cant wait.. Jim redid my rear motormounts wider to fit the newer slant head motor for free. What a great bunch of guys at sickbikeparts, thanks again guys. Here is pic of bike 1yr ago and now in ever lasting mockup stage

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks man... I gotta get offn' my duff and make a new vid as I've sorted out some things like gearing etc. those were early runs bfore everythin' was dialed in heh

Still, yer bummin' cause you have a Nuvinci? lol - man that's one incredible hub fosho! I've not used one but I suspect it'll have a sweet sound all it's own as while the hub may not have "gears" so to speak, are there not incremental stages on the handle bar shifter? Even if not - it's a worthy trade off without a doubt!

Got some fine lookin' builds there man, I see you've been "bitten" bad by this bug - awesome! Can't wait to see 'em come together fo ya :D

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
That nuvinci weights 11 friggin pounds lol..The first guy who tried to lace it gave up and said he never wanted to see one of those again lol. When i took in the 7 spd to get laced he remembered me and said he could do this one easily. I hated to tell him i didnt have the bike done yet,its only been a year. Keep changing my darn mind and spending more money. This was supposed to be a cheap hobby. Yes please make some more videos. I love em , i watched the extended version on sbp site over and over but i keep dragging my feet on mine. We bout got my buddies ratfink chopper done its got a 3 spd with a shift kit on it also. Got a bit more fabbing to do and itll be done.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Kinda like the yellow one got a bike lying around like that and those same forks now I get an idea how it will look lol. For a minute I thought I was getting a peak at one of SBP new design? You got some fun builds there there gonna look great!

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
I traded a motor kit for the mooneyes bike and then only kept the frame and crank. It was supposed to be a quick motorized conversion but with the 3 inch wide tire came clearance problems. I just got a 7 spd nexus hub in a trade for parts, and it was only bout 30 bucks more for the shift kit versus the ampt offset motor mounts i would have needed,so i went with the shift kit.

Last edited:

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
Well i tried soldering the pin holes up and that actually worked with acid core solder (Thanks BarelyAwake) for suggestion. Still had 4 small leaks after filing down ,so i put some quick steal on and will file tomorrow and recheck. Have some sealer on the way. Night all.

Last edited:

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
Thank you silverbear, I like your work as well. Im not sure this thin metal sucker is gonna live long with the weight of the gas and the jarring that comes from riding. Seen a spin off lid that comes on a welding bottle that is thick, gonna order 2 of them and make a tank in case this on fails.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
How about gettin' a torch and brazing/soldering? Particularly with today's Egas I don't think any of the "glue" type stuff is worth bothering with...
I have never use any glue (specialized or not) for fixing leaks in gas tanks, but hear this.

I found Permatex Instant Gas Tank Repair in a Kragen Auto Parts Store, looked at it and saw that it is a putty 2 part. I already found that I got a low cost carb replacement and had no need for it to fix the leak that a carb had a fuel inlet which use a shoddy plastic part attached to the metal carb. I would have ended up using this to fix the thing, but now am interested if anyone has use the stuff. They say it can go on wet gasoline covered metal. Seems like the Marinetex only in the sense that you can apply it to material with water present.

I have use some glue called Seal-All that said gasoline, oil, and water resistant glue that I got also at Kragen Auto, but ended up not using it on the carb since I got a new one. I did however use it to totally coat a servo motor for hobby stuff and make it water proof around except where the shaft with the toothed gear comes out on top. Maybe I will see about using an oring somehow later to fix that too. Servo motors made water proof are very expensive. This stuff is quite runny and I let it coat and drip off and then reclaim the stuff and pour it over it again and again to get a good smooth coating.

Of the two I found that state repair of gasoline container, if I were to ever want to use it in the future, I like the idea of the putty as you can build up a surface.

Other, when I get the motor bike going and have more time see about getting strong enough servos to autonomusly take the motor bike out with out a rider on it. Balancing was the big thing as seen on one of the DARPA Grand Challenges, but actually they I think disqualified the riderless motor cycle as the event was for 4 or more wheel vehicles anyway.
usflg

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've used Seal-all, too. the stock peanut tank had a small leak around one of the mounting studs, so, with it on the bike, i leaned it over to get the gas on the other side of the tank, cleaned the stud with carb cleaner, and put some seal-all on. dries in a few minutes, and months (like 6 months) later, it's still holding.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I had an idea to use 2 round ends of some propane bottles as a gas tank for my schwinn. Got it mostly done except grinding and some more welding,but this crap is really thin. Have to spot weld the whole thing to keep from blowing holes in it. Ground down the welds and of course more pin holes. The more i weld and grind the thinner the metal gets and more pin holes.. Ive got some tank sealer on the way but what can i use on the outside Jb weld? Quick steel? Im starting to lose my cool on this tank and dont want to smash it lol..A buddy told me to use some fiberglass resin stuff but dont know if that would work. Any ideas here? Thanks
There's an outfit named " Coyote Gear" which manufactures spun aluminum tanks for a variety of applications....the smallest they make is a one gallon which I believe would be perfect for you....I've enclosed the site.....hope this helps....

COYOTE-GEAR, Your #1 Source for Spun Tanks!

Salty.shft.

Attachments

Schwinn the Fox

Aug 13, 2010
Stafford Springs, CT
I like the "gas tank behind the seat" idea. I has a setup like that until I ordered a tank online. The tank now is in front of the seat above the motor. I miss my old tank, considering now i cant have a basket in front of me any more. The only reason I don't miss my old tank is the weight, the tank alone, without fule, weight about 5 pounds. I dont understand why i did it in the first place with such thick steel, but If I was to get my hands on thinner metal, another rear tank would be headed my way.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
There's an outfit named " Coyote Gear" which manufactures spun aluminum tanks for a variety of applications....the smallest they make is a one gallon which I believe would be perfect for you....I've enclosed the site.....hope this helps....

COYOTE-GEAR, Your #1 Source for Spun Tanks!

Salty.shft.
They have no prices on these tanks and no phone number so it makes things harder to order