Break In

GoldenMotor.com

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
Opinions about this subject

When you buy a new chain saw do you have to break it in? If so, how?

When you buy a lawn mower do you have to break it in? If so, how?

I think this whole break in thing was a way for the suppliers to cover their butts if the defective engines made it past Q.C. I use that term lightly. They could say sorry you didn't break it in properly.

Please lets not have a pissing contest about this post, just some of you honest opinions.

I my self just put them on and run them. some better than others but I think the breaking in thing is over used.

Adam

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
Opinions about this subject

When you buy a new chain saw do you have to break it in? If so, how?

When you buy a lawn mower do you have to break it in? If so, how?

I think this whole break in thing was a way for the suppliers to cover their butts if the defective engines made it past Q.C. I use that term lightly. They could say sorry you didn't break it in properly.

Please lets not have a pissing contest about this post, just some of you honest opinions.

I my self just put them on and run them. some better than others but I think the breaking in thing is over used.

Adam
I agree. Ran mine like normal when I put it on. In fact, I think the starting, opening it up and lettin' off of city driving does more for breaking in the whole range of the motor any way. 15...... suckers.xx.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm not sure about chain saws & lawn mowers, but for new HT engines, I recommend mixing the first 2 gallons @ 24:1 & ride the bike normally! There's no real need to 'baby' the engine. (just don't run it at WOT for extended periods of time)

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I rode it like I stole it from day one but made sure I eased of the throttle every now and then. So far 350miles and still going strong!!

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
i start the bike up and idle it till its red hot shut it off wait 10 min or till i can touch the head restart it warm it up a bit and go around the block twice slow and then i letem have it and i run amsoil sabre @70:1 out the box

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
i start the bike up and idle it till its red hot shut it off wait 10 min or till i can touch the head restart it warm it up a bit and go around the block twice slow and then i letem have it and i run amsoil sabre @70:1 out the box

What's the theory behind how you do it??? I understand 'heat cycling' from my R/C car days...

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
thats it i know theese motors are really bound up when new so i just loosen it up a bit before i wring it out i even slip the clutch a bit to smoke it in lol

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
When i got mine 1,200miles ago i just road it like i stole it, and i varied the throttle while riding short distances. I started with a 16:1 mixture and found that i didnt need so much oil. and switch to 20:1 and then to 30:1? i have no idea i just add a tiny bit of oil and 30cents in gas and shake my whole bike ,lol . My engine runs better than new still. 32mph @ 180mpg.

I only ride WOT 1 mile to the store and back every few days and every once in a while in the summer i go for longer rides around the lake.

Last edited:

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
40:1 from day one. No prolonged amount of time at any particular throttle setting. My opinion? The same as yours Adam.