Vintage engine

GoldenMotor.com

johnny k

Oct 3, 2009
canada
New member here and first post after introduction. I love the replica bikes you have all been building. I'm starting one but the engine is important. I do not want just a look. I want to replicate an engine.
I have rebuilt a few old motorcycle and had to make some parts in my home shop. I'm set up pretty good and ready to tackle a whole engine. The problem is I don't want to reinvent the wheel but just copy one. I don't have an engine to work from so drawings are the next best thing. Has anyone seen mechanical drawings for an engine. I have found a few for larger motorcycle engines but they are to large. I know there are replica engines out there but I can't justify the cost, and why should I let some one else have all the fun when I can do it. Hope there is some info out there. Thanks

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
There are books with simple line drawings but I have seen few to scale. There are blueprint books available but they aren't cheap and I don't think they do deep into internal component dimensions.
Giving away my secret, might I suggest using a smaller Briggs to start with? I intend to experiment with that as well this winter. B&S parts are readily available and whether you cast or otherwise fab the case and cylinder, your internal dimensions are set for you. Are you planning an older I/E engine or one with cam operated I and E valves?
Dave
KC

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
That's a **** of an idea, use all the internals off a B&S and just make the head, cylinder and case.

johnny k

Oct 3, 2009
canada
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm going for one of the older designs as I also like the sound as well as the look. I found one book and it's on the way so I will see if there is enough info to get me started. I went to a swap meet and seen an old Thor engine,not for sale but it helps keep me motivated. This will be a long project. It's all in my head for now. I will start piecing the bike together this winter as I research the engine. Thanks again.

SeattleRider

Sep 23, 2009
Seattle
Dave did a great job with his B&S motor...

Also, this might not be exactly what you looking for but check out the master, Paul Brodie at work... he made an exact replica of a 1919 Excelsior Board Track Racer.

Flashback Fabrications Ltd.

He made the engine all by himself too. Not saying you going to do that but you might contact him...never know what he might say or have in the way of drawings or schematics! Either way his work will inspire anyone.

diegom

Nov 19, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
I love your idea, but why don't you just buy an old engine and rebuild that? if you can get one that's not complete you can get away with not paying too much (few hundreds), and since you're so well equipped you can make the rest... get one for which parts manuals are available, maybe with a good support...

most british prewar engines would look the part, big time: JAP, Velocette, Matchless, BSA, Triumph... you name it... plenty of spares, plenty of literature and support...

of course if you get into 20s and 30s americana, you gotta have a deep wallet...

that's what I wanted to do, before realizing that here (in Italy) I would never be able to road-register it and use it... my understanding is that in the USA you got a much more relaxed legislation about what you drive/ride... none of your hot rods would be street legal here! :-(

nowramfg

Dec 3, 2009
Canada
Machine everything....the patterns for the crankcase are reasonably simple..
(If you have seen patterns, and them in use!!)
In my opinion, which may not be worth much, I would use some existing parts from a Honda, Briggs,etc.
You could use a Honda/clone crank and rod and piston and make a crankcase, cylinder and head, using the Honda vaves, springs etc.

Last edited:

nowramfg

Dec 3, 2009
Canada